Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: If you were buying a car today, would you buy a GS300 or a GS400?
I'd buy a GS400 + mild tuning (ECU, Intake, TC)
53.98%
I'd buy a GS300 and add SRT Turbo kit
36.28%
Neither- I'm wanting something fresh...
9.73%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

GS4 or GS3+SRT Turbo? New to CL...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-02, 07:42 PM
Aristo V300VE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Richie, its the Greddy 3 core. I had to have my bumper hacked up a little but it was worth it. Need the big sucker for when I upgrade to a single...
Old 09-23-02, 10:24 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey Aristo V300VE, nice Aristo!

Can you list all your mods? Some things are very nice!
Old 09-23-02, 10:42 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by apatel

I think SRT's stage II for the GS3 costs about $6K installed. Maybe with a torque converter, LSD and valve body upgrade, the cost would be around $10k. Since the price difference between a used GS3 and a used GS4 isn't much, turboing a GS3 will end up costing more than a used GS4, void the warranty if any exists and be a little more problematic. But the performance reward, IMHO, is worth it. I had the opportunity to ride in Marken's GS and that thing can blow the doors of my stock GS4. Well, it should since his GS3 makes more power at the wheels than my GS4 makes at the crank. So you have to decide whats more important to you: awesome performance with some drawbacks or good performance with no drawbacks. and also how much money are you willing to spend? Good luck with the decision! Either way, GS3 turbo or GS4 , its a good choice.
I think it depends on the year of the GS3/4. The difference is greater the later the model year. If one does not get a LSD or TC the costs should be just the turbo. As far as the warranty, it depends on the year purchased.

Hey, if it breaks, just bolt the stock parts back on. It can't cost that much given that a stage 1 costs $540 at SRT to install.
Old 09-23-02, 11:00 PM
Aristo V300VE
Driver

Thanks Globe CLK. Here are the mod's as of now:
Mine's VX-Rom, Blitz Dual SBCid and Power Meter, Dual Nul-R muffler with 80 mm complete straight pipe, Sard BOV and alumi radiator w/ water bypass kit, HKS Camp Junction Box, Super Power Flow, 35i Iridium plugs, GT-r fuel pump, 550cc injectors, Greddy 3 core intercooler, ATF cooler, Oil catch tank, Works S-1 9.5F, 10.5R 18".

Coming soon HKS ignition monitor and split fire cords. Still shopping around for a single turbo.
Old 09-24-02, 02:18 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Aristo V300VE
Thanks Richie, its the Greddy 3 core. I had to have my bumper hacked up a little but it was worth it. Need the big sucker for when I upgrade to a single...
Awesome stuff, keep us posted !!
Old 09-24-02, 05:27 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Aristo V300VE
I have twin turbos and never had any problems and mine is heavily modded. Doing a engine swap or adding a turbo to a NA engine is going to cost over 10g's. Unless you can get an Aristo I would say definitely go with the Lexus GS400 and don't worry about turbo's. They make lots of supercharger kits for both the 300 and 400 engine.
Turbo for a Gs3 is about 3900 from SRT and one with intercooler is about 4700$

Lsd/suspension/torque converer/exhaust

should be around 3-4 grand....

So you get turbo, all the stuff you need to blow doors off m5's and a nice suspension system for the price you save getting a GS3
Old 09-24-02, 06:26 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by CamRen

Turbo for a Gs3 is about 3900 from SRT and one with intercooler is about 4700$

Lsd/suspension/torque converer/exhaust

should be around 3-4 grand....

So you get turbo, all the stuff you need to blow doors off m5's and a nice suspension system for the price you save getting a GS3
So when you gettin one?
Old 09-24-02, 06:35 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Dex

So when you gettin one?
soon as you send me a check for 9grand
Old 09-24-02, 06:41 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by CamRen
soon as you send me a check for 9grand
Right.

No really though. You seem very well off, and you have the perfect car for it. You often talk about hanging out with other kids in "real" sports cars; this would fit your environment perfectly.
Old 09-24-02, 07:27 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Dex

Right.

No really though. You seem very well off, and you have the perfect car for it. You often talk about hanging out with other kids in "real" sports cars; this would fit your environment perfectly.
Yea i know...

would love to beat M3's TT's Is's 330's SS..... but it can wait... just got my job back... so you know... i cant pull $$ outta my A$$... first 2 weeks check goes towards my car payment and secound weeks pay goes to cell phone bill and what ever i have left goes to mods or what ever i want.... it might take around 3-4 months for me to get that kinda $$ ...

im 18 now ... gotta take some responsibility... even though rents pay for car insurance...
Old 09-24-02, 08:46 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

WAIT WAIT WAIT.... save up for the New GS. You got two years to save for a awesome dream car! The new GS will make the old GS look... well you know. As for the G35, it's a cool car, but NOT a awesome car! If I were you, I'd wait!
I bought 98GS4 one year and 1/2 ago, and I kinda regret it. The car is still good, but CPO Lexus is still a LOT different from New a Lexus! Usually all these 98's 99's and 00's may look great, but most were abused in my opinion! Most are leased cars and weren't greatly taken care of. (lexus sucks that they don't provide free maintenance for the first 4 yrs, like BMW, Audi etc.) Thats why they are the ***** (sometimes).
Old 09-24-02, 10:36 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Are you thinking the G35 or the G35 coupe? The coupe isn't out yet but it's brother, the 350Z, is and it's an awesome car. I suspect the G35 coupe will be the same.
Old 09-24-02, 10:42 PM
Aristo V300VE
Driver

The G35 is called a Skyline over here in Japan, the weaker version of the GT-R. The 350Z is a pretty nice car, I test drove one 2 weeks ago. Especially the S version, it has Brembo brakes, nice suspension and pretty comfortable for a 2 seater. Even comes with a DVD player stock behind the driver seat.
Old 09-25-02, 02:43 PM
yelofelo
Driver School Candidate

Default This has been a great Thread!

It has been a great discussion to follow. Thanks so much for everyone's feedback on this topic.

I had a chance to sit in a prototype G35 Coupe this weekend, and it is pretty impressive for $32k. 287hp & 6 speed mt from the new Z, Brembos at all 4 corners, 18's with 245's on the back. It's basically a "Z" with a back seat, and a bit softer sprung. I track my cars at Sears Point/Thunder Hill/ Laguna Seca once a month or so, but also use it as my daily driver. I think that either a tuned GS, or a G Coupe would be a fun ride.

I'll keep you posted on which way I go!

Thanks guys.

-Yelo
Old 08-26-06, 11:11 AM
AW99GS400
Pole Position

There is an old saying " NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT" 2 more cylinder is always better anyway u look at it

Adrian

Quick Reply: GS4 or GS3+SRT Turbo? New to CL...