Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need help with jdm aristo twin turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-11, 09:30 AM
gcam77
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help with jdm aristo twin turbo

My JDM 98 Aristo TT have been giving off white smoke at start up in the mornings for some time now and it seems to be getting thicker of late. I have ask a few local mechanics and they all say it is the turbos are getting bad. I have been given some suggestions as to how to fix the issue:-

Here are the suggestions that have been offered:-

1. Just get another set of JDM turbos as they are direct bolt on

2. Get USDM Supra turbos - they say these may not be direct bolt on

3. Get 2 aftermarket turbos because OEM turbos are crap

4. Change to a single Turbo

This car is a daily driver so I am seeking a solution that is good on gas but at the same time can give a punch whenever I need to.

The engine is pretty much stock except for the intake and the blow-off-valve both have been changed to HKS aftermarket.

I have been trying figure out which way to go with fixing the car but not sure, and I am seeking some advise from my fellow clublexus members.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-12-11, 04:27 PM
AristoKing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine had the same problem with his MKIV his is a daily driver as well. Every morning that he would turn on the car he would get white smoke as well. It turn out to be his turbos so he went single that fixed his problem.

The problem with this JZ-TT engine's are the stock twins. From what i've heard from people that own JZ-TT VVT-i or non VVT-i engines the stock twins are the first to go. It really sucks. So what you can do is re-build the stock twins or buy new twins or go single.

Hope it help's
Old 08-12-11, 04:50 PM
bigwasum
Rookie

I had the same problem, I switched over to usdm twins because they are built with the stronger steel blades. I regret it, should have gone single.
Old 08-12-11, 05:59 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Is the smoke a little blue? It sounds like turbo oil seals are perished.
Old 08-12-11, 06:37 PM
mrjaydm
Rookie

Yeah since the smoke is white check coolant levels just in case, when the engine is cold its normal, but after it warms up it should go away. BTW I see you live in NY, how did you get by registering for use on the road? Just curious as I want to get something from Japan myself.
Old 08-12-11, 07:20 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

If the white smoke is coming from the exhaust, it's probably going to be a headgasket.
Old 08-12-11, 08:13 PM
gcam77
Driver

Originally Posted by bigwasum
I had the same problem, I switched over to usdm twins because they are built with the stronger steel blades. I regret it, should have gone single.
Why do you regret it? How easy is it to go to single turbo?

Originally Posted by mrjaydm
Yeah since the smoke is white check coolant levels just in case, when the engine is cold its normal, but after it warms up it should go away. BTW I see you live in NY, how did you get by registering for use on the road? Just curious as I want to get something from Japan myself.
The coolant level is ok. The car was checked to see if it is the head gasket that is causing the smoke but they said the head gasket is good. The smoke goes away after a few minutes and only happens when the car has been parked several hours or longer.

The car is actually in Jamaica WI (Caribbean) -where I spend a lot of time, it has never been in the US, it was shipped directly from Japan to Jamaica.
Old 08-12-11, 10:23 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

Smoke on startup means worn valve stem seals, constant smoke is bad turbos. So if it smokes after startup then the turbos are gone if its just when you startup in the morning or if the car has been sitting for a while its the valve stem seals.
Old 08-13-11, 06:06 PM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

Are you really in New York? If so where has this Aristo been hiding?
Old 08-14-11, 11:25 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by japspec
Smoke on startup means worn valve stem seals, constant smoke is bad turbos. So if it smokes after startup then the turbos are gone if its just when you startup in the morning or if the car has been sitting for a while its the valve stem seals.
that is correct, if its only on startup its the valve stem seals. i saw something on titan motorsports site the other day with the parts needed to fix this but i cannot find it now....

here is a DIY that should help you

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthr...al-Replacement
Old 08-14-11, 11:43 AM
armyastro
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have a tool, its from matco and you can pull your plug, pressurize your cylnder, take this tool, hit it with a hammer and you can do all your seals while still on the car and takes about 2 hours for your first time and the tool is around $85 for the set
Old 08-15-11, 04:07 AM
gcam77
Driver

Thanks for pointing this out, I will definitely have the valve stem seals replaced. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

My next question would be what other parts should be changed when doing the replacement of valve stem seals?

Originally Posted by puff
Are you really in New York? If so where has this Aristo been hiding?
I live in NY but the Aristo is actually in Jamaica WI.

Originally Posted by sakataj
that is correct, if its only on startup its the valve stem seals. i saw something on titan motorsports site the other day with the parts needed to fix this but i cannot find it now....

here is a DIY that should help you

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthr...al-Replacement
Thanks for DIY link. This will definitely come in handy.

Originally Posted by armyastro
I have a tool, its from matco and you can pull your plug, pressurize your cylnder, take this tool, hit it with a hammer and you can do all your seals while still on the car and takes about 2 hours for your first time and the tool is around $85 for the set

Thanks for the info on the tool. Could you tell if it is the metric version of this tool that will work on the 2JZ engine?
Old 08-15-11, 05:57 AM
armyastro
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gcam77
Thanks for pointing this out, I will definitely have the valve stem seals replaced. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

My next question would be what other parts should be changed when doing the replacement of valve stem seals?

Thanks for the info on the tool. Could you tell if it is the metric version of this tool that will work on the 2JZ engine?
Yes, it is a 2 piece st, i use it on my drag 2jz engine, it has a magnet in it, you smack with a hammer and the retainers stick to it.

Looks like this but mine came 2 sizes. http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....&group_ID=1578
Old 08-15-11, 09:47 AM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gcam77

Change the 2 hoses between the valve cover and the valve cover gaskets. I bet as soon as you change the valve stem seals no more smoke.
Old 08-15-11, 09:55 AM
AristoKing
Instructor

Change the 2 hoses between the valve cover and the valve cover gaskets. I bet as soon as you change the valve stem seals no more smoke.
I agree what he said^^^ also before you put it all back together check all the hoses around and make sure nothing else needs replaced it's better to do it all at once than go back and redo it again.

Quick Reply: Need help with jdm aristo twin turbo