Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tell me if I'm crazy or not...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-11, 03:14 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tell me if I'm crazy or not...

I am considering getting a GS3 in the near future and living in California my options are limited for upgrades. However....in 2013 CA is going to the plug in diagnostic port test only on cars that are 2000 and newer. This means that they will no longer have to go through the sniff test, just visual and diagnostic.

If the attendant were to pass over the visual and run diagnostic test only, this means that you could do an NA-T or GTE swap as long as you were able to have a successful diagnostic test and did not have any CELs present.

So my theory, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that you "could" run NA-T or GTE off of the USDM GE ECU with a MAP ECUx piggy back to monitor and adjust AFRs. To go a step deeper, you could use a wideband to monitor and set AFRs in the MAP ECU, and hookup O2 Simulators to the GE ECU.

The theory in hooking up the O2 Simulators is that the GE ECU would think that all is good and not throw CELs, all the while you can tune to your needs with the MAP ECU.

Am I crazy, or could this potentially work?
Old 08-18-11, 04:19 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

youre crazy.

jk i dont know. have yet to hear anything about that :|. but i havent been keeping up with the local laws lately.
Old 08-18-11, 04:20 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

also if i recall.. Jeff's little project makes GS300 NA-T without CEL or problems. and runs like stock (just a LOT faster).
Old 08-18-11, 04:27 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

It's a rumor about the 2000 vehicles only runs through the OBD II and not the sniff test. The legislation hasn't passed the law yet.
Old 08-18-11, 04:27 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

I was reading Jeff's threads and that's what got me thinking. If the main thing that makes the GE ECU not work with a GTE motor is the fact that the GTE needs more air flow & such. Then you should be able to substitute that data with MAP ECU.

I have heard of issues that people had with the stock ECU fighting an AFR controller wanting to change back to stock settings. If you are using O2 simulators to trick the GE ECU into thinking that all AFRs are stock then you shouldnt have the fighting between the ECU and the piggyback.

I'm not saying that this is a perfect method, but it very well could be a potential solution for us Commiefornia residents who like to modify our cars
Old 08-18-11, 04:29 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
It's a rumor about the 2000 vehicles only runs through the OBD II and not the sniff test. The legislation hasn't passed the law yet.
I believe that you are correct that it hasn't passed. I was actually told about the new law by the guy who does my smogs. If this passes then my thoughts could be plausible
Old 08-18-11, 04:31 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts

If that is true then California will have the same emission standards as arizona, and yes that means that they will plug into your OBDII port, idel the car and rev it up to 2000rpms. If no smoke or check engine lights are present that you are good to go.
Old 08-18-11, 04:36 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

I think more details need to be checked about reving to xxxx rpm. Last I heard it was diagnostic only, don't even start the car.

I could be totally wrong though. I do believe the law passed last year, at least from some of the sites I have seen.
Old 08-18-11, 08:10 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 88supramki
I believe that you are correct that it hasn't passed. I was actually told about the new law by the guy who does my smogs. If this passes then my thoughts could be plausible
I am a Smog Technician . And yes, until they pass the law in California then it will be effective around 2013.
Old 08-18-11, 08:33 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

So since you're "in the know" have they put any stipulations on the legislation regarding testing?
Old 08-18-11, 10:12 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

lol, I'm just like any other person. I only hear rumors. Until then, we would know. From my experience, a car can pass the functional check, the CEL and the monitors and still fail emissions. I don't think that law should pass and continue how it's already is. We need to clean the air we all share to breathe.
Old 08-19-11, 10:13 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

GS4, the law is kind of one sided no? Say for example you have boost and get a bad *** catalytic converter(or two) and keep emissions the same or better than stock. Well at least, under cruising conditions which will make up 99%+ of the time of most drivers anyway, of course WOT is a diff story lol. Is it fair to deny that car on the street? I believe(please correct) California laws dictate that if any of the stock cats are even touched, it's an automatic fail. What if you get a really expensive cat that performs better than stock?

Anyways, my own car has passed through OBD-II emissions testing. I also built another IS300 with a GTE swap running GE ecu with AEM FIC piggybacked that also passes emissions testing. I'll post up some further details soon.
Old 08-19-11, 10:36 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
GS4, the law is kind of one sided no? Say for example you have boost and get a bad *** catalytic converter(or two) and keep emissions the same or better than stock. Well at least, under cruising conditions which will make up 99%+ of the time of most drivers anyway, of course WOT is a diff story lol. Is it fair to deny that car on the street? I believe(please correct) California laws dictate that if any of the stock cats are even touched, it's an automatic fail. What if you get a really expensive cat that performs better than stock?

Anyways, my own car has passed through OBD-II emissions testing. I also built another IS300 with a GTE swap running GE ecu with AEM FIC piggybacked that also passes emissions testing. I'll post up some further details soon.
If you agree to live in the states, you must complies to the laws and regulations regardless. I've got soo many people here in California, my customers, that are ******!ng about California got dumb laws and tax fees they want to migrate out and live elsewhere. And I get people says I got a turbo charger/super charger and my car pass flying colors, it passed emissions! Why did you failed my car?! State of California's Smog Inspection consist of three tests, Visual, Functional and Emission. In order to receive the certificate of compliance, you must pass ALL three tests like it or not. Anything that alters OEM parts, aftermarket parts, must have a C.A.R.B sticker with an executive order number. If don't, it's a fail. So if you are living on a land that is not yours, you just gotta comply to the laws and regulations.

As for catalytic converters, in California, you must buy either OEM or California C.A.R.B certified cats if you want to change it. Modifying it in anyway, such as not putting where it originally was or a different cat size will fail smog regardless. People would say a cat is cat. But each application has a different flow rate that's made to fit with the emission standards of the vehicle in CA. Putting a Federal Cat on a CA car will fail the visual inspection on the smog check as modify. So, it's significant you buy the correct cat with the correct application. That's why they got CARB stickers on them so you know which one is for which application.

There are rumors floating around saying that in 2013, California, 2000+ cars will only require OBDII testing, visual inspection, and the snap test. But we'll see. What ever Congress/Legislators wants to do. We just gotta wait and see.
Old 08-19-11, 10:45 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

^^

What is the "snap" test? Just curious. Would that be an EGR test?
Old 08-19-11, 11:13 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

snap test is just stomping the gas pedal watching for visible smoke -black, blue, or gray.

Quick Reply: Tell me if I'm crazy or not...