Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS250 MT: Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel and Spec Stage 2 Clutch Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-11, 02:04 PM
autox250
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure that you buy a new Throwout bearing bc otherwise it will be reused on the tsb. B16a9, & ljimmy i had the same noise.... It was my bearing. Jimmy pm me ur email
Old 12-22-11, 08:29 PM
autox250
Driver

Default trans pictures

these are pictures from the new trans... plus a cylinder head from a 4GR getting the piston TSB, i cant believe how small those exhaust ports are.... there's a lot of porting that could be done...
Attached Thumbnails IS250 MT: Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel and Spec Stage 2 Clutch Review-transbox1.jpg   IS250 MT: Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel and Spec Stage 2 Clutch Review-trans1.jpg   IS250 MT: Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel and Spec Stage 2 Clutch Review-trans3.jpg   IS250 MT: Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel and Spec Stage 2 Clutch Review-trans5.jpg   IS250 MT: Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel and Spec Stage 2 Clutch Review-4grhead.jpg  

Old 12-23-11, 01:50 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 610 Likes on 405 Posts

Yeah externally (from those pics) it looks basically identical to the 09-12 transmission. I wonder if there are some internal/input shaft differences.

Did the new transmission come with the shifter itself, or did that have to be swapped over from the original RA62?

Thanks for the pictures!

Jeff
Old 12-23-11, 08:26 AM
autox250
Driver

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Yeah externally (from those pics) it looks basically identical to the 09-12 transmission. I wonder if there are some internal/input shaft differences.

Did the new transmission come with the shifter itself, or did that have to be swapped over from the original RA62?

Thanks for the pictures!

Jeff
It was all new
Old 12-23-11, 09:10 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 610 Likes on 405 Posts

Yeah that's what I thought.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Jeff
Old 12-23-11, 11:14 PM
bokiLexus
Driver School Candidate

hi guys, i bought my 07 250 MT with 90 000km on, it in july and now i just heard a synchro grind when i shift from 4th into 5th at 5000 rpm. And i went to my dealership in Kitchener ON and complained, and a tech came with me and now they are going to fix it on the 28th, and i will get a loaner till they fix it i am pretty sure they said that they will put a new tranny in. That all the problem i ever had and or heard on my car, i am also thinking about putting a Fidanza lightweight flywheel and spec clutch on it when its time for it, since my clutch is still pretty good, can anyone tell me good thing and bad things about this set up, any input is greatly appreciated.
thank you
Old 01-12-12, 11:26 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

I know this thread has been talking about the TSIB update for a while now, but I wanted to give an update on my Fidanza/Spec swap.

I found a fix for the squeak: San Francisco hills. Being on the hill at a stoplight and being forced to dump the clutch at 4K to keep from rolling back temporarily cured the issue. For the rest of the day, there was no more squeak!

The squeak came back later, but it's definitely less noticeable. I'll have to do it one more time and I think that might get rid of the issue entirely.

Overall, aside from the squeak, I'm happy with the change. The shifting is smoother. The clutch is lighter than my OEM clutch (but pepos said the opposite, so YMMV) and much, much shorter. The OEM clutch used to be gradual over the entire length of the pedal travel; this clutch has about a 1 inch distance between disengaged to engaged.
Old 01-12-12, 08:12 PM
SiskoMax77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikeho
I know this thread has been talking about the TSIB update for a while now, but I wanted to give an update on my Fidanza/Spec swap.

I found a fix for the squeak: San Francisco hills. Being on the hill at a stoplight and being forced to dump the clutch at 4K to keep from rolling back temporarily cured the issue. For the rest of the day, there was no more squeak!

The squeak came back later, but it's definitely less noticeable. I'll have to do it one more time and I think that might get rid of the issue entirely.

Overall, aside from the squeak, I'm happy with the change. The shifting is smoother. The clutch is lighter than my OEM clutch (but pepos said the opposite, so YMMV) and much, much shorter. The OEM clutch used to be gradual over the entire length of the pedal travel; this clutch has about a 1 inch distance between disengaged to engaged.
Sounds interesting, I am glad to hear that the shifting is better and the throws are shorter. I cannot wait till I get mine!
Old 01-25-12, 12:26 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

So today my car started to do a noice from the front of the engine (I suspect it's the water pump). Since it's still under the power train warranty I called lexus to bring in the car tomorrow for the noise and also told them about the gearbox noise while I was out. I'll keep you guys updated to see if they'll replace my tranny.
Old 01-27-12, 10:23 PM
Greg805
Driver School Candidate

I have the same setup and I purchased mine from Assaultech as well. I had my transmission rebuilt and replaced the OEM clutch with a Spec Stage II and replaced the flywheel with a Fidanza flywheel. I had it all done in December of 2010. I was having problems putting the car in 3rd and 4th gear. The synchros were shot. why not replace with something better? I replaced everything because I bought the car from a company (Microsoft) that was using it as a corporate vehicle. Obviously, not everyone knows how to drive manual. I haven't had problems with my car yet. I've probably put approx. 10k miles since and it runs great. I do hear the slight rattle on acceleration, but that was expected as was stated by Fidanza. I'm awaiting the delivery of a Joe Z exhaust. hopefully that'll block the slight noise from the flywheel clutch setup. I'll still keep an ear out since i'm not trying to mask everything. But so far, no problems. Hope you like it!
Old 02-02-12, 05:36 PM
bokiLexus
Driver School Candidate

can anyone tell me a good place to buy spec stage 2 clutch and fidanza flywheel that's not crazy expensive? i live in Canada so shipping might be a lot if its shipped from US, so if anyone can let me know a site or person i can call that would be great.
Thank you
Old 02-02-12, 08:43 PM
SiskoMax77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bokiLexus
can anyone tell me a good place to buy spec stage 2 clutch and fidanza flywheel that's not crazy expensive? i live in Canada so shipping might be a lot if its shipped from US, so if anyone can let me know a site or person i can call that would be great.
Thank you
Read the post above you by Greg.......if still to pricey for you then do a google search and see who offers the best price. Also try eBay, you can always make offers to sellers even if they don't have the option listed. You may or may not get a better deal but it is worth a try.
Old 02-03-12, 08:41 PM
jgarrido
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jeff which is the best way to drive my 2011 (250) feel that destroyed the transmission. change gear to 3000 rpm or hi???

Last edited by jgarrido; 02-04-12 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-08-12, 09:12 AM
B16da9
Racer

So tomorrow makes two weeks since the car has been at the dealer and since they had not called me I called them to find out whats going on with my car. Turns out that they finally heard the noise from the gearbox and they had to special order the gearbox and clutch assembly. They also took care of the cam gear noise and the fuel regulator recall.
Old 02-09-12, 06:29 PM
B16da9
Racer

Well my car got the gearbox replaced with the following part numbers.

Transmission unit part#33030-53370
Clutch assembly part#31250-33032

Quick Reply: IS250 MT: Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel and Spec Stage 2 Clutch Review