Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Fully catless PPE, Invidia, Tanabe clone...installed with first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-11, 09:56 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fully catless PPE, Invidia, Tanabe clone...installed with first impressions

It sounds like ****. There, I said it. I spent 6 hours of my life and 700+ dollars to find out that it sounds like ****. Also, I have check engine lights about running too rich in bank 1 and 2 WITH the o2 'conditioner'.

The instructions were ok, except that there is no brown/red wire on the e6 connector of the ecm on pin 5. Doesnt exist. Theres a black and red but, it's awfully confusing trying to determine if they meant the color code or the pin location. Couldnt tell for a while. Its the pin location btw.

Installation using a lift with air tools still wasnt a walk in the park. You'd better have every shorty socket, long socket, ratchet wrench, short wrench, o2 wrench, spray penetrate you can find. Also, you'll need a inverse star drive 8 mm socket to remove the lower 3 bolts on the passenger side.

One of the stock o2's at the header location was apparently installed incorrectly from the FACTORY!!!! It was all boogered up. I had to do surgery on the threads with a rotozip.....it was that bad.

Anyways, first drive down the road and I've got a VERY ANNOYING loud buzzing sound at certain rpms. ALmost like an exhuast leak, but unforutnately it isnt. It's definitely coming from the mufflers. I guess I'll put some straight through resonators or high flow cats cause it honestly sounds like **** and I'm embarassed to drive it right now.

Just a heads up, stick with cats if you dont want your lexus to sound like a major ricer. I cant even tell if theres a power increase to tell you the truth, although it may have been masked by my extreme displeasure in the sound.

Nothing against ppe, they produced a great product and it no doubt frees up air flow, I just dont know if it was worth it to me.

My .02....do with it what you will
Old 08-20-11, 10:26 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Well your setup doesnt help it either. Maybe now that your pushing more flow that clone exhaust sound like crap. I have the ppe,HFC, stock mid pipe and fujistubo. To be honest it sound like a stock IS350 and i like it.
Old 08-20-11, 11:26 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

sorry to hear. Hope you can resolve the issue to the point where you can enjoy your mods
Old 08-20-11, 11:36 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Indivia and ppe are way too loud, tanabe clone ? fake one ? hummnnn maybe all that combined = very very loud car
Old 08-21-11, 06:35 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

yeah, I was really surprised at how much it sounded like crap, because before, I would get compliments on my setup ALL the time. I'm certainly not uninstalling the headers so I'm hoping I find something that tames it down just a bit.
Old 08-21-11, 06:54 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe put stock midpipe back on?
I'm kind of embarrassed to drive my car to right now LOL. Can't decided if I hate it or love it
Old 08-21-11, 07:20 AM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you post a vid???
Old 08-21-11, 07:24 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

I will post a vid, but Im putting my oem mid back on. I've gotta go dig it out the barn.
Old 08-21-11, 07:35 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah dont put stock header back just yet . Just do some experiments with it before put stock header back. Like put stock mid pipe back and u will be fine, i'm sure the loudness will be less . Do inspect for heat shield that vibrates and bend them a bit ..... dont know how loud the Tanabe clone exhaust or how nice it sounds , last option u can even try to put stock exhaust back also. Hope that help and put up some videos
Old 08-21-11, 11:40 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

I tried to get a video goin but the batteries went dead so, sorry. Anyway, I put the stock mid back on and it sounds stock. I guess thats better than fart can bumble bees. I'll probably end up modifying my invidia mid with some resonators.
Old 08-25-11, 06:37 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

invidia mid modified

They are the vibrant 12" by 3" straight through resonators. Me and my buddy just cut the invidia and took a 12" section out of each. If you arent too concerned with looks, a little mig welder on about 45 amps works very well. I think it still turned out great especially after we ground it all down. I did hit the weld areas with some high temp black paint to keep it from rusting though, so it isnt pretty any more. Oh well.

It is MUCH better now. I really cant believe it, but it took down the buzzing alot. I mean, it's actually drivable. I still feel like it gets too buzzy in the upper rpms, so I might try a high flow cat eventually. For now, though, its a job well done.

I'm definitely gonna do a vid for you guys later today, I think.

No codes btw, and the car feels much stronger!

Last edited by 06isDriver; 08-25-11 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-25-11, 10:07 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

That what i'm talking about lolz... Glad you enjoy them video and dyno pls....
Old 12-26-11, 04:39 PM
leek
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
invidia mid modified

They are the vibrant 12" by 3" straight through resonators. Me and my buddy just cut the invidia and took a 12" section out of each. If you arent too concerned with looks, a little mig welder on about 45 amps works very well. I think it still turned out great especially after we ground it all down. I did hit the weld areas with some high temp black paint to keep it from rusting though, so it isnt pretty any more. Oh well.

It is MUCH better now. I really cant believe it, but it took down the buzzing alot. I mean, it's actually drivable. I still feel like it gets too buzzy in the upper rpms, so I might try a high flow cat eventually. For now, though, its a job well done.

I'm definitely gonna do a vid for you guys later today, I think.

No codes btw, and the car feels much stronger!
Where'd you get the resonators? I feel like I'm having the same problem as you... See my thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...bad-sound.html

These the resonators? http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=292
Old 01-03-12, 11:23 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

yeah those are them, but honestly I ended up ditching the invidia hybrid all together. It was actually for sale some time ago, but noone showed interest. I ended up adding a flowmaster hushpower to replace that small single resonator along with those 12" resonators you see there and it was STILL to annoyingly droney and loud with my PPE headers. I bet it would sound sick on a car with stock manifolds.

I finally just went back to the oem midpipe and couldnt be happier. I ended up replacing my mufflers at the back with just some straight through style and that combined with the oem midpipe and PPE headers sounds the best IMO.

It's still loud when I floor it, especially with my intake, but quiet enough to where a conversation at 70mph isnt a shouting match.