Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Install JoeZ Exhaust with race ramps?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-11, 11:41 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
Question Install JoeZ Exhaust with race ramps?

For those who have installed the JoeZ exhaust, is it possible to take off the old exhaust and install the JoeZ with only using race ramps (the ramps that lift up the car about a foot)? I've never backed up on the ramps either, anyone know if the front scrapes at all being at that angle?

I've searched on here and Joe Z himself says it's easiest to have the car up in the air to do it, but thats a no brainer. I'm not concerned about taking it anywhere and paying the small fee to get it done, just dont want to hassle with transporting both the JoeZ there and then the stock system back home...

Thanks for the help! I should be getting my race version delivered tomorrow!

Adam
Old 08-23-11, 12:51 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

If your a small skinny guy. Best to use a jack stand and have it lifted up all around.
Old 08-23-11, 01:11 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

I am a pretty fit/skinny guy, but found a DIY on the GReddy where the guy backed onto his rhino ramps... looks like it'd be a struggle down there by the headers... Looks like i'll be taking it somewhere to get put on, unless i feel like i'll ever use jack stands again, then i'll do it myself.

Old 08-23-11, 03:31 PM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm right there with ya. I love doing stuff to my car....but I hate getting under it with a jack and jack stands. I have been looking to build my own ramps. I have seen on a mustang forum and vett forum, tons of people using them. Working great with lowered cars and wide tires. The ones I've seen are about $40 in wood. If your interested, just google car ramps diy. Seems like a great, cheap option.
Old 08-23-11, 04:41 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can do it with only rhino ramps. I just changed out my midpipe myself using only rhino ramps. The ONLY problem I've encountered is that the bolts and stuff are rusted really bad on mine and I needed a shop to blow torch the parts off for me. Otherwise, you got enough room. Jack up the back or reverse up a ramp and loosen the two bolts on the axle area. Take off your axle-back and then drive up the ramps on the front. Take off the four bolts after the cats and O2 sensors. Connect the pipe on after the cats then back up the ramps and install the remaining.

Advice if you do it yourself, try to break loose all the bolts first before starting. I was like almost half way done to realize the LAST bolt to remove was stripped and needed to put everything back on and drive to a shop.
Old 08-23-11, 06:41 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chi123
You can do it with only rhino ramps. I just changed out my midpipe myself using only rhino ramps. The ONLY problem I've encountered is that the bolts and stuff are rusted really bad on mine and I needed a shop to blow torch the parts off for me. Otherwise, you got enough room. Jack up the back or reverse up a ramp and loosen the two bolts on the axle area. Take off your axle-back and then drive up the ramps on the front. Take off the four bolts after the cats and O2 sensors. Connect the pipe on after the cats then back up the ramps and install the remaining.

Advice if you do it yourself, try to break loose all the bolts first before starting. I was like almost half way done to realize the LAST bolt to remove was stripped and needed to put everything back on and drive to a shop.
Hmmm I like your strategy. If I find an O2 sensor wrench tomorrow at lunch, maybe I can knock this out myself at home after all. Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-23-11, 09:16 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im sure you can do it without a problem. I just changed out my mid pipe for factory within an 1.5 hours on sunday. I'll be doing it again when my new resonators come in to quiet down those ppe headers.
Old 08-23-11, 09:18 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by heyarms
Hmmm I like your strategy. If I find an O2 sensor wrench tomorrow at lunch, maybe I can knock this out myself at home after all. Thanks for sharing!
Check out your local Autozone store. They offer free O2 sensor socket set rentals. Just pay $25 deposit plus taxes and return it within 90 days for a full refund.