Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Cold Air Intake questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-11, 06:41 AM
APynckel
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have thought removing the integrated resonation chamber would attribute a lot more induction noise to the intake. Good to know Lexus hires some sound engineers. (no pun intended)
Old 09-19-11, 07:24 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I was wondering about that as well.

I'm still on the fence. F Sport Intake or Joe Z Pipe w/ F Sport Filter and Lower box.

I don't really want the polished look of the F Sport.
I like having an OEM Product though.
The price with the "cold" code on Sewell, is about the same as buying the Joe Z Pipe and F Sport Lower Box w/ Filter.

I'd like to support a fellow forum guy with the Joe Z.
I could get a Black or Blue Pipe.
Harder to sell down the road to a CA guy. (I think 90% of the members on here are you CA guys lol)

Or wait to see what the other forum guy's intake looks like when that comes out.
Old 09-19-11, 07:26 AM
APynckel
Pole Position

I bought the satin black pipe. I wanted it to be discreet and look as OEM as possible.
Old 09-19-11, 07:29 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

That's what I was thinking of going with. What color sticker does the black pipe come with lol?
Old 09-19-11, 07:37 AM
APynckel
Pole Position

I don't think it comes with a sticker?
Old 09-19-11, 07:59 AM
getfunky
Driver

Originally Posted by Stylnhonda
Yeah I was wondering about that as well.

I'm still on the fence. F Sport Intake or Joe Z Pipe w/ F Sport Filter and Lower box.

I don't really want the polished look of the F Sport.
I like having an OEM Product though.
The price with the "cold" code on Sewell, is about the same as buying the Joe Z Pipe and F Sport Lower Box w/ Filter.

I'd like to support a fellow forum guy with the Joe Z.
I could get a Black or Blue Pipe.
Harder to sell down the road to a CA guy. (I think 90% of the members on here are you CA guys lol)

Or wait to see what the other forum guy's intake looks like when that comes out.
Wasn't it confirmed somewhere that the fsport box was nothing more than the oem box with a cut out hole on the side? I believe someone even has a picture of them side by side and they do look nearly identical with the same dimensions. So if you're looking to save some money, I wouldn't buy the fsport intake box... I pretty much have my mind set on the joez but i'm still curious about the k&n or aem intake that claims 11 hp.
Old 09-19-11, 08:12 AM
LamTheSham
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stylnhonda
That's what I was thinking of going with. What color sticker does the black pipe come with lol?
It's white, but just leave it off if you're tryna be discreet. :P
Old 09-19-11, 08:16 AM
LamTheSham
Pole Position

Originally Posted by getfunky
What's the retail for one of these whistling air intakes? lol
The K&N costs about $220. Hit up CircuitMS on the forums. He can probably hook it up. I know the inJen is a little bit louder, and costs around $250-270. None of the SRIs are legal tho. I doubt an intake is gonna make you fail smog, unless the person smogging your car is extra ****. :P
Old 09-19-11, 08:19 AM
APynckel
Pole Position

I feel sorry for all your californians having to live in that marxist society. Can't even mod your car w/o the feds looking over your shoulder.
Old 09-19-11, 09:51 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by getfunky
Wasn't it confirmed somewhere that the fsport box was nothing more than the oem box with a cut out hole on the side? I believe someone even has a picture of them side by side and they do look nearly identical with the same dimensions. So if you're looking to save some money, I wouldn't buy the fsport intake box... I pretty much have my mind set on the joez but i'm still curious about the k&n or aem intake that claims 11 hp.
They are the same basic dimensions (they'd have to be to fit the air filter and connect to the upper box) but have two design differences.. both of which you can do to the stock box free-

Extra hole cut in side

Raised ridges on bottom of box are gone on the F-sport lower box
Old 09-19-11, 11:49 AM
DWalker00
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by APynckel
Are you talking about the drop in OEM replacement filter, or a kit? Pics?
It's the K&N Typhoon Intake kit. I don't get much of a whistle but more of a rumble noise.
Old 09-19-11, 11:57 AM
APynckel
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DWalker00
It's the K&N Typhoon Intake kit. I don't get much of a whistle but more of a rumble noise.
I don't like whistle noises. I have a turbo car if I want to hear that. Whistles mean there's a sharp angle that air is traveling over / across and is cavitating.
Old 09-19-11, 01:15 PM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I know the differences on the OEM box and the F Sport Box. I'm to **** to cut a hole in the side and dremel down the slits. I'm cool with buying the F Sport filter and bottom.
Old 09-19-11, 03:38 PM
jaytido24
Driver School Candidate

so what are the real numbers on these tuner parts? I mean i see alot of people throwing out generic numbers saying that a CAI+exhuast setup will gain 10+hp but you'd have to drop like over 1000 dollars for 10hp. I read that the only IS worth tuning is the IS350 or ISF. im not hating on the dudes who are doing work to the IS250 im just trying to see what your guys are going for wether its speed or just personality.
Old 09-19-11, 11:49 PM
ToeMas8
Pole Position

I'm glad this thread was started... Lovin the solid insight & opinions from everyone. I'm also on the fence on what to get. Live in CA and have an IS 250 Fsport, so I thought I might just continue with the "Fsport" brand and buy the kit from Sewell. I've just read more hype about the Joe-Z pipe... don't know wat to do... I just want to spend money! lol.

And to answer Jaytido's question... I'm doing it more for overall car personality and feel/sound... basically add a false sense of speed, haha. If I wanted a faster ride I would of pony'd up the extra 10K and bought the used ISF I saw on the lot. Needed something more fuel efficient, yet comfortable to ride in... and less power to avoid speeding tickets

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake questions