Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Cold Air Intake questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-11, 09:59 AM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake questions

I've seen a few cold air intakes for my IS350, they go from like $400 to as cheap as $70. My question is, would this actually give me any gain or will it kill some power on the lower end? They supposedly give it a louder sound too, right?

Also, what is really the difference between the $400 known brand and the no name brand that costs $60, $70 shipped? I just don't justify paying 4 times the price of the same part just so that it has a brand name sticker on it... I've bought parts like these for my 300zx in the past and they are exactly the same as the expensive ones, just plain no name on them. Anybody has any experience with these?

Thanks
Old 09-07-11, 10:14 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Nobody makes a true cold air intake for the 2IS, as it'd require cutting metal.

What most places falsely advertise as a "cold air" intake is a short ram (a pipe with a big open cone filter on it that sucks in hot under-hood air).

Those range from $70-400, and the only difference will be some variance in build quality/fit/finish between em. They'll add add a fair bit of noise, and might add, or lose, a couple of hp depending on weather.

Your other option is the couple of intakes that largely retain the stock, somewhat colder, air intake box but replace the rubber hose with a smoother, straighter, pipe for better airflow. These are the F-sport and the Joe Z.

The Joe Z is $125, made by a forum member, and adds about 5 dyno proven hp. Sound gain is minimal though.

The F-sport is sold by lexus, runs about $300 on sale, and should add similar hp to the Joe Z. In addition to the pipe you get a reusable air filter, and a new lower airbox piece that adds a second hole (which is only there to make it louder).

You can cut a similar hole in your stock lower airbox if you go with the Joe Z and you'll get a similar sound bump for less money.

The F-sport does have the advantage of being the only intake legal in California, but you being in FL won't care about that.

Generally if one isn't in CA I recommend the Joe Z and to buy the reusable filter by itself, that'll save you over $100 compared to the F-sport... cut your own lower airbox hole if you really want the sound, that's free... it supports a forum member who makes products for the car, and will give you the best possible hp gains for the least money.

Last edited by Kurtz; 09-07-11 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-07-11, 12:20 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks, I'll be looking into the Joe z one
Old 09-07-11, 03:26 PM
ponychaser
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That clears things up. I always wondered they Lexus labeled their F sport intake "cold air" when it's not. Thanks.
Old 09-08-11, 05:03 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

yo pony, hook up with hks350. He's built himself a dope cold air intake
Old 09-17-11, 10:02 AM
DWalker00
Driver School Candidate

I love my K&N intake!
Old 09-17-11, 11:13 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

Thinking of going with the Joe Z Pipe, F Sport bottom here. May wait to see what this other forum member comes out with though....
Old 09-18-11, 06:00 PM
APynckel
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DWalker00
I love my K&N intake!
Are you talking about the drop in OEM replacement filter, or a kit? Pics?
Old 09-18-11, 06:36 PM
vegita40
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DWalker00
I love my K&N intake!
+1, the K&N CAI is cool with that little whistle at low rpm sounds like a mini turbo.
Old 09-18-11, 09:03 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

I have the JoeZ intake pipe with a Blitz LM drop-in high flow filter. I love the setup and the intake sound is not loud at all, but I noticed that the car's response is a bit better. Probably a 5-7hp gain from my intake setup, which I am pretty happy about.

I know of the AEM intake, which has been dynoed and showed a 11hp gain. You may want to consider that one. It also comes with a heatshield to keep the filter from sucking hot air from around the engine. It doesn't completely conceal the filter per say, but it blocks off some hot air to allow the air filter to suck in as much cooler air as possible.
Old 09-18-11, 09:11 PM
getfunky
Driver

Any reviews on these newer "electronic" air intakes? I believe it's the AEM one that claims 11hp.
Old 09-18-11, 09:11 PM
LamTheSham
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vegita40
+1, the K&N CAI is cool with that little whistle at low rpm sounds like a mini turbo.
Yup! I only have one friend that thinks that the whistle is annoying. LOL. Everyone always asks if I have a turbo'd IS or not. :P

The whistle can get kinda loud tho.
Old 09-18-11, 09:20 PM
getfunky
Driver

What's the retail for one of these whistling air intakes? lol
Old 09-19-11, 06:21 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

So what makes the most difference sound wise? The hole in the F Sport Lower Box, or the Joe Z, F Sport etc. pipe (non OEM plastic pipe)
Old 09-19-11, 06:33 AM
TheSenator
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stylnhonda
So what makes the most difference sound wise? The hole in the F Sport Lower Box, or the Joe Z, F Sport etc. pipe (non OEM plastic pipe)
My Joe-Z pipe, while making good improvement in response, hardly made any more noise. Haven't put a high flow filter in yet, so that might make a difference, but I'd bet the sounds are coming from these open lower boxes and exposed cone filters.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake questions