Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SMOG test in Cali

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-11, 09:07 PM
ricanrolla
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SMOG test in Cali

UPDATE: Smog test passed.

Last edited by ricanrolla; 09-25-11 at 02:09 AM.
Old 09-08-11, 09:13 PM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

I'll run into the same problem next year when I need to get checked. There are shops who will pass you for an extra charge, so you wont have to go through the hassle of putting everything back to stock. maybe another member from CA here can pm/recommend you a place to go.
Old 09-08-11, 10:58 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

There should only be three cats. One on each header which makes two. Then the secondary on the mid pipe. Which probably the one there looking to see. But yeah find a shop slip the guy a $50-100 and he'll pass you. But just don't fo it to the wrong shop.
Old 09-09-11, 05:45 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Bear in mind it's like a $25,000 fine for doing this, and violates federal law
(which is why it's remarkable some places risk this for an extra 50 bucks)

You won't, legally, pass smog the way your car is, because your car is currently not legal. Removing any cats the car comes with is a violation of federal law, as is running it on public roads that way. If you don't pass you can't register the car.

Last edited by Kurtz; 09-09-11 at 05:50 AM.
Old 09-09-11, 08:01 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the Invidia Midpipe removes a cat? I thought it was just a resonator that was close to the "axle back" section?
Old 09-09-11, 10:46 AM
Denver
Lead Lap

you should be able to pass!! i am an inspector in ga and i believe you WILL pass. you still have 2 cats on the car but cali is more strict with emissions. try going to another station

Last edited by Denver; 09-09-11 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-09-11, 10:59 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

^^^ CA Law is a bit different.

Any tampering of smog / emmission control is a no-no. So the mid-pipe technically deletes the secondary cat making it street illegal.

If you happen to find a hook up that will "pass" you, you can still get slapped with a fine from the cops if they happen to pull you over. Then you have to go through the hassle of reverting back to stock regardless. Some cops here are real (fill in your choice of word) when they pull you over and ask you to pop your hood... and even looking under your car.
Old 09-09-11, 11:08 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

That's so crazy. I've always wanted to look into moving to California for the mad cars, weather, etc. (not so much for earthquakes, fires, high price of homes) but that's crazy. Here I have got pulled over and talked to about my car. "Nice exhaust, sounds good!, I've got a Mustang at home." type of talks.
Old 09-09-11, 11:18 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Denver
you should be able to pass!! i am an inspector in ga and i believe you WILL pass. you still have 2 cats on the car but cali is more strict with emissions. try going to another station
So they don't do a visual inspection in GA?

Because if they did they'd notice the car is illegal... under federal law... and fail it. Which is what CA will do.
Old 09-09-11, 11:18 AM
tedward88
Pole Position

yea emissions does suck over here in cali, or at least it has gotten a lot stricter than about 5 years ago (when i still had my 92 civic hatchback with greddy turbo, lets just say it was easier to smog then compared to now)

If the car can pass smog, but only fails visuals, there are places out there in cali that arn't as strict that will easily pass you. I know because when i was in the subaru community, those cars have 2 cats (at least the 02-05), one in the uppipe and 1 in on the downpipe. Tons of people went catless uppipe because the fear of catastrophic failure in the uppipe cat can kill the turbo and the increase in flow/power.

Anyway, what my point is, those cars can still pass smog with an aftermarket downpipe with cat at a smog place that doesn't care about visual, so maybe if you know you can pass smog, try finding a place where they don't care about visual

your other option of course is going back to stock

good luck
Old 09-09-11, 11:52 AM
Denver
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
So they don't do a visual inspection in GA?

Because if they did they'd notice the car is illegal... under federal law... and fail it. Which is what CA will do.
we do visual inspection. there is a cat on each exhaust manifold so i would pass it because cat is present. they dont tell us this car has x amount of cat so i need to find all of them.
Old 09-09-11, 12:10 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Denver
we do visual inspection. there is a cat on each exhaust manifold so i would pass it because cat is present. they dont tell us this car has x amount of cat so i need to find all of them.
Huh...I'd have figured when you put the VIN into the computer before running the OBD test it would display what items you should be looking for on the visual. (including number of cats)
Old 09-09-11, 12:17 PM
Denver
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Huh...I'd have figured when you put the VIN into the computer before running the OBD test it would display what items you should be looking for on the visual. (including number of cats)
nope, the computers in ga dont tell us how many cats there are. i think we have it easy than other states
Old 09-09-11, 03:05 PM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

California emission laws really suck. But like I said before, you can go to a shop and pay a bit extra to pass you.
Old 09-09-11, 03:28 PM
ricanrolla
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate the feedback fellas. Hopefully itll work out. If not, ima be stuck driving a green Altima with a pink license plate to the base (the wifes car)

Quick Reply: SMOG test in Cali