Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

gs 400 twin turbo Srt 2weeks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-02, 01:34 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Richie

I've seen some very respected german Porsche tuners ask Waaaaaaay more for a TT setup for the current 996. $50000 is in the neighbourhood of what they are asking so the SRT setup looks like a deal to me.
but the GS is not a porsche, many don't even grasp its potential. it is just establishing itself as a luxury sports sedan, and has a ways to go before is catches up with the likes of bmw or audi in the aftermarket arena. picture this, you are an average joe on the street, not knowing what you know about the car or this forum. now, someone walks up to you and asks "what would you think about supercharging a lexus?" most folks would answer with something like "but, it's a luxury car??".

my point is that i just dont think the market segment is there to support a truely high dollar upgrade like the twin turbo. you are taking a $50k car and adding downtime of 2 months and a dollar amount of $30k. For $80k, there are alot of other cars out there already set up to do what mo & company are attempting. When you talk about sinking that kind of money and downtime into a vehicle, you are thinking more along the lines of a weekend driven car. the GS is not a weekend driven type of car, it mostly a daily driver. i realize that there are folks on this board that are fortunate enough to have more than one vehicle, but i'd imagine for most GS drivers it's their daily driver.

don't get me wrong, if mo can do this and make a living at it, more power to him. but, it seems to me like he is banking on his new lower priced turbo kits for the IS and GS3's as his bread and butter, and the GS4TT as his high end exclusivity item. if SRT truely drops the SC kit for the GS4's, they will be dumping a much larger market base then they will have for the TT, and it is the same market base that really helped get SRT where they are today. i wish SRT the best, but i'm deeply disappointed that they would even consider dropping the GS SC. JMO.
Old 09-28-02, 03:29 PM
RacingAristo

I remember awhile back SRT talked trash about Turbo application and they praised madly on the supercharger. And now they stop doing SC and move toward Turbo? It makes me wonder.

Old 09-28-02, 04:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Maybe they're dropping the SC because there's problems with it?

I probably think about getting an SC for my GS about once a week. If they dropped that option, I guess I'll start thinking about something else!

Oh, and there's no way in hell I'm paying 30K and losing my car for 2 months to get the TT setup.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-28-02 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-28-02, 04:41 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

ahh... $30,000 dam...

just buy a used TT supra for 25$ and put 5$ into the supra and you will have 5-600RWHP supra
Old 09-28-02, 08:18 PM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

..and these guys are trying to charge $30,000.00 to put a twin turbo setup on the LEX...GIVE ME A BREAK!!. I hope the turbos are made of gold. I understand the whole motor and tranny need to be changed etc...BUT that is crazy...Good luck to who ever gets it...I will see you in MY Twin turbo 996 next year,,
And on the end of the day..........the GS4 TT will probably attract much more attention than a TT porsche. People expect the Porsche to be quick so it's not that big of a deal, but a TT GS......that's another story.

Well think about it, for $30,000 added to a Supra you could have ONE HELL of a Supra. Faster than a TT GS.

And you can laugh in my face all you want and say "I still drive a Lex" but I'll be too far ahead of you to even laugh at me.
For $30,000 in a domestic, I can whip any Supra. You can laugh at me and say "I still drive a Supra" but I'll be too far ahead of you to even laugh at me.

Point is that there is always someone faster and no, Supra is not the fastest street car in the world. Well, maybe in the fast and the furious.........

Side Note (to no one in particular):
If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple. I believe a lot of people had a good chance to jump on the SC setup for the GS which was *very* reasonably priced and would give you approx. 370+ RWHP. If you didn't, then be it, but it seems like some people here are always complaining about something. First, it was the complaints about how long it took SRT to come out with an SC. Then, once the SC came out and the same people that supposedly "were going to get it," said they didn't want the SC anymore. They now wanted a turbo. Not to mention half the people questioned SRT marketing strategies and business tactics. All this while SRT was really listening to their costumers and secretly developing exactly what they asked, a turbo kit. Now, all you hear is complaints about the pricing. No one here has even seen the kit, you have NO IDEA what kind of engine, transmission, and other mods are necessary to put down over 500RWHP on pump gas in a GSXXX. Yet you already hear the complaints about the pricing. How do you know the amount of work and mods involved to be able to form such a quick opinion? There comes a time where every respected company comes out with something they will always be known for. John Hennessey for his Venom 800 TT Viper, Larry from Sound Performance, for his first 9 sec *street Supra, etc.....I can almost guarantee SRT will be known for one thing that will stand out amongst the rest, GS4XX TT. The Venom 800 costs 150K+ and still had its *** handed to it by Marko's Supra, which did not even cost half of that. Does that mean that Hennessey is a ripoff? Are you getting the best bang for the buck? Probably not, but on the end of the day you will still be driving the Venom 800TT and I can guarantee that if you show up at any drag events, your car will have ALL the attention.

My comments are not directed at anyone in particular. Hope it doesn't get anyone mad either. I have nothing but love for ya fellas. We have a lot of good guys here. This is what I like about this place.

Last edited by Mariusz; 09-28-02 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-29-02, 12:58 AM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Very well put!!!! "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR"
Old 09-29-02, 04:29 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by CamRen
ahh... $30,000 dam...

just buy a used TT supra for 25$ and put 5$ into the supra and you will have 5-600RWHP supra
It's a little more then 5k..
Old 09-29-02, 04:55 AM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A company about 6-7 years ago did a custom turbo job on a '93 SC400 (they still do). Cost? 17k. That price tends to fluctuate anywhere between 15-18k. That was with intercooler, port and polish, transmission work, and extra engine work. They took 3 months of downtime to do all the work. There are a few companies on the west coast who have turboed 92-95 LS400 for 8-10k

IMO,
12-15k (or 22-20k) MORE for a 1UZFE (w/ vvti) turboed is a little (little as in Godzilla is a little lizard) too much.

BUT I'm sure that SRT's kit will be excellent and the dyno numbers should blow away the SC kit numbers.
Old 09-29-02, 05:13 PM
LexusL
Rookie

Any wat stage is this TT setup for a GS4XX, if it is stage I and how much will stage II cost???? and why such a big price differences from a single Turbo setup from SRT rounding 4k to 30k for TT that is a big different in prices.... (I mean GS300 turbo is starting around 4k)
Old 09-29-02, 08:30 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up few comments...questions

30,000...shew...thats a bundle. Anyone have a supercharger kit for sale? Does rod millen even sell them any longer? If it is purchased from another place..would that order be cancelled, meaning that does swift do the superchargers on a order basis? 5k to 8k is fair for a sc kit....30k...shew..still hard to type.
Old 09-29-02, 08:48 PM
zxlr8
Pole Position

all I can say is there is even more reason to go nos even if you blow an engine!!!! I think that price is little out of hand.
Old 09-29-02, 08:54 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

I *may* think 30k is steep for any mod on a GS, but you pay for exclusivity Like someone else said, give me 30k and let me tune some Detroit V8 muscle and lets go race the supra. Your paying 30k to have a reliable TT V8 GS, how many people can say they have a TT V8 GS? You could have someone do a custom turbo for any car, but it will cost you, at the end of the day, you’re a one off and everyone is looking at your car.

Did you ever look at what a custom setup from Brabus runs? Damn

For 500 (hopefully 600rwhp when tuned out) which is about 700+ crank Hp in a V8 4 door Lexus GS would be sick, either you have the coin and you pay for it or you opt for something cheaper that fits in your means or because you don’t care about exclusivity.

I am not saying 30k is the *right price* but only a handful of people will be doing this.

I would love to a SC430 with a TT, some sick 4.5 rear lips off a 19x11 or something.
Old 09-30-02, 01:36 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think you would want to show one too often cause the more it's seen the more chances it's new home is going to be south of the border or in a former soviet bloc country. There is always someone who wants what you got.

With that said, someone will have a pretty fast GS if they put 30k in it. The choice is his/hers.

If you want exclusive, buy one of those imported Skylines from MotoRex.
Old 09-30-02, 02:41 AM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Although $30,000 seems like a huge #, I've been to many car shows where I've seen stereo systems run anywhere from $10k-25k. Most of the money was spent on labor. Just like the TT set-up, I believe most of that 30K will be in labor. The real question should be how reliable is this set-up going to be. Because it is a "custom" set-up, it hasn't been done before therefore no one really knows if it will hold up after 6 months of driving. My worry would be giving up the car for 2 months to have it installed......then it fails......then I would have to give up the car another 2 months to have it ripped out back to stock. Hopefully in the end, the TT setup for the GS will work out fine and SRT can establish there name in the turbo community. However.....IMO, I think SRT has bitten off more than they can chew. They have been really slow in producing/shipping out the turbo kits for the GS/IS300. I think Cong28 is still waiting for some parts from SRT before he can install his turbo. It's been a couple of months now...
Old 09-30-02, 03:18 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Doesn't the 30k cover some engine and tranny work? Because turbos don't like high compression motors I think the engine would need to be rebuilt/exchanged and the tranny beefed with some kind of software management. Fuel is very important and doesn't the Lexus use some kind of returnless system? That probably needs modding as well. it would be very nice if the boost were adjustable. At that price it probably is.

It's probably worth the $$ depending on the hp gained.

Quick Reply: gs 400 twin turbo Srt 2weeks?