Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

gs 400 twin turbo Srt 2weeks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-02, 03:47 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

pvmike1 - So what do you think the labor would be for all of that? No downtime? How long would that take to do? A weekend? Anyone on this site have that done? Hmmmm. It SEEMS simple enough, but I don't recall anyone doing it in the 4 years since the GS model was revamped.
Lee,

I am not sure how long it would take to do. But I am quite certain that it would be weeks, not months. As far as the going rate, you can call up SP Engineering and ask them what the going rate is for a swap. Or you can wait a couple days -- I'll ask them tomorrow night when I go there. They were doing a swap into an SC300 last week. They're probably a bit expensive, but they are likely the most knowledgeable Supra guys here on the West coast. I guess we'll see how close my estimate is...

V300 has done the swap. I'm not sure about the actual number of people that have done the swap into the 98'+ GS, but I venture to say 5-10 people -- I'm sure someone else here would know the exact number.

But, addressing mumbles observation. I agree with you, but also find it interesting how some people who don't want to spend that much money (notice I didn't say anything about affording the mod), come up with a whole R&D plan, with money figures (mind you), to justify why people should not pay for the TT kit from SRT. Now maybe "hating" is a little harsh, but really, how can a person dismiss a company's turbo system, and R&D time for the system, etc; then come out the box with a whole imaginary bulletproof system plus imaginary expenses/labor, PLUS imaginary warranty & dyno results, and not have one single factual vehicle (aka a completed Lexus GS aftermarket turbo system, plus engine swap with prices/labor/warranty) to back up their claim?
If this comment is addressed to me, then here is my response: I am just mentioning an alternative solution to obtain the desired amount of power for a lesser price. The tt setup may be fine, but only time will tell. 7 months of R & D time is not enough to prove the durability of a system -- how will the engine perform after numerous miles/years?

As far as having a "factual vehicle" to back up my claims -- there are many vehicles with the 2jz-gte engine swap. GS's, SC's, IS's -- IS300GTE on this forum -- have done the swap. And the horsepower claim of 650 is conservative -- there are plenty of 1000-1300+ hp Supras out there. Take a look in the lobby under GSTRANCE's thread (post pic of your car here) and you'll see a SC300 with 860+ rwhp. The 650 mark that I posted is what I consider to be the very limit for street drivability (hence you'd have full boost at 3700 rpms).

Lee, it sounds as if you are actually in the process of getting the tt's. If that is so, I wish you the best of luck with the system. If you are not yet in the process of doing so, I urge you to research a possible 2jz-gte engine swap. The claims that I have made about proven, reliable hp in a bulletproof system are real with this engine swap. I personally would rather have the peace of mind of this swap than trust an unproven system...

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Last edited by pvmike1; 10-03-02 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-30-02, 05:08 PM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pvmike1 - if my comments seemed to be condesending in any way, then my fault. I was only trying to stress that this TT project is on a stock V8 engine, and not on a V6 (swap/stock). SC300TT has been running his turbo setup for a while now, and I haven't heard of any problems, and yes, I agree that there are a few V6's with the engine swaps, but none for the V8 (which I have).
Turbos for the IS, GS (2nd Gen) are so new (less than 2 years, counting R&D, and Mass Producing kits) that the arguement on the durability can be made even on that front. 7 months may seem like a short period of time for R&D, but SRT only tunes Lexus, and no other brands. Not honda, not Mazda, not even Toyota, just the luxury Lexus. That was one of the major reasons, that I decided to let them use my car. Another reason is the issue of forced induction, and SRT being an authority on FI and Lexus. Like you said only time will tell, and hopefully the wait will be worth it. I will definitely keep everyone here informed of the outcome (bad/good) once I get the car back.

L

Last edited by LexCiting; 09-30-02 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-30-02, 05:43 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Lee,

I didn't think your comments sounded condescending. I didn't think that mine sounded angry either. I'm not at all.

Turbo kits for the IS and GS are new only because the cars themselves are new. Look at the naturally aspirated Supra -- it's been around just as long as the twin turbo (since 1993) and there are turbo kits for it. Sure there are some differences (VVTi -- this was a huge topic on IS300.net) but it's pretty much the same engine. If you look on Supraforums.com, you'll see a whole section on the NA Supra and all the guys on there that have turboed them.

And just to let you know, there is some negative sentiment on IS300.net about SRT -- part of it based on the questionable reliability of the turbo kit for the IS300/GS300. Some say that the amount of boost the kit generates without lowering compression will eventually harm the engine. To me, I think this is also a wait and see situation -- I'll wait and see how it holds up on other people's cars.

But what I am talking about is taking the actual engine from a twin turbo Supra and sticking it in our cars. There will be NO question about reliability by doing that... I'm sure it's counterintuitive to swap out a V-8 for I-6 -- but for outright power, nothing touches a Supra engine. I know you want to stick with the V-8, but I do question how well the V-8 will hold up under serious boost pressure.

I'm sure you must have had a good experience with SRT's supercharger to let them turbo your car. Just be wary -- turbos are a whole different ball game. I do hope your car runs well when you get it back. Keep us all updated!

Last edited by pvmike1; 09-30-02 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-30-02, 05:49 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by pvmike1

They were doing a swap into an SC300 last week. They're probably a bit expensive, but they are likely the most knowledgeable Supra guys here on the West coast. I guess we'll see how close my estimate is...

Could you post how much it costs to do the swap into a SC3 and with a five/six speed? Or could you post a link to their shop or a telephone number?

Thanks.
Old 09-30-02, 05:54 PM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

I definitely will keep everyone up to date! I have heard that IS300.net is a bash haven for SRT. Thats why I have been quiet about the TT for so long on this board also. My engine was completely rebuilt with forged lower compression pistons, and rods. My only concern is heat from the turbos (of course). But that is being taken care of as I type. Hurray for heatshielding!!! lol
Old 09-30-02, 05:58 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

meanboy,

www.sp-power.com/

Address:
SP Engineering
424 Turnbull Canyon Rd.
City of Industry, CA 91744

Telephone:
(626) 333-5398

Fax:
(626) 333-8355

Email
speedpride@hotmail.com or info@sp-power.com

-- I am in no way affiliated. I just hear lots of good things about these guys from Supra owners.
Old 09-30-02, 06:50 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

pvmike,

Thanks for the info
Old 10-03-02, 01:59 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Alright guys, here is the info i promised:

I went down to SP yesterday, talked to the owner. They had just finished an 2JZ-GTE into an SC and were working on a GS. They have done GS's, IS's, and SC's.

My guesstimate was right on -- around $15k installed. What do you get for that amount you ask? You get a Japanese spec 2JZ-GTE (with VVTi), 6 speed MT, and a single turbo upgrade to 600 rwhp! :eek:

There should be a forthcoming issue of Turbo Magazine with all three Lexus models (GS, IS, SC) shown with the conversion.

Anyone on the West Coast looking to make serious power should consider this option...
Old 10-03-02, 02:40 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Alright guys, here is the info i promised:

I went down to SP yesterday, talked to the owner. They had just finished an 2JZ-GTE into an SC and were working on a GS. They have done GS's, IS's, and SC's.

My guesstimate was right on -- around $15k installed. What do you get for that amount you ask? You get a Japanese spec 2JZ-GTE (with VVTi), 6 speed MT, and a single turbo upgrade to 600 rwhp! :eek:

There should be a forthcoming issue of Turbo Magazine with all three Lexus models (GS, IS, SC) shown with the conversion.

Anyone on the West Coast looking to make serious power should consider this option...
pvmike1,
Thanks for the update, and that is really an awesome price. I'm assuming that you would be getting a rebuilt 2JZ-GTE? Hmmm, I may know what I'm doing for my next summer vacation...
Old 10-03-02, 05:33 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Default Question for pvmike1

Hey, Mike!

I was just wondering what does it cost to upgrade to an MT 6-speed, without the 2JZ-GTE swap?

My car isn't even paid off yet, and here you are tempting... shame on you!
Old 10-03-02, 05:46 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GS, is it a 1st or a 2nd generation?
Also did they do a 6spd conversion on the GS?
Old 10-03-02, 06:53 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

I was just wondering what does it cost to upgrade to an MT 6-speed, without the 2JZ-GTE swap?
Vlad,

Sorry, but I don't know how much that would be. The price I was given was for everything. I would think that they price it as a package. Your best bet would be to call them. The address/numbers are in an earlier post.

Remind you, however, I did say they are expensive. They are very professional and have an excellent reputation, so their labor prices reflect that:

Install -- $95/hour
Troubleshooting -- $150/hour
Dyno -- $250/hour

But I do think you get what you pay for. Check out their website -- the have a lot of magazine articles posted documenting their work.

(Edit: Actually Vlad, I just noticed you have the 430. I don't think that the 6 speed MT can be used without some serious modification/fabrication. Come to think of it, it might not be a straightforward job even on the 300 -- the NA Supra used a 5 speed MT. You should ask them for a definite answer -- I don't really know.)

The GS, is it a 1st or a 2nd generation?
Also did they do a 6spd conversion on the GS?
Richie,

It was a 2nd gen. They put the 6 speed MT into the IS, GS and SC. They provide both the engine and MT -- they probably don't want to be blamed for existing problems if you bring in your own parts.

Last edited by pvmike1; 10-03-02 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-04-02, 02:32 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Richie,

It was a 2nd gen. They put the 6 speed MT into the IS, GS and SC. They provide both the engine and MT -- they probably don't want to be blamed for existing problems if you bring in your own parts.
Mike, thanks for the info, I'll look out for the Magazine.
Old 10-04-02, 03:31 PM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

So I can get a engine swap, turbo kit, tuning, 600rwhp, and all the labor for only $15,000. Man, they need to advertise that package! Labor alone usually doubles the price.
Old 10-04-02, 04:10 PM
JacobT

With 2JZ-GTE swap, you don't need to beef up the internal to get 600 rwhp, so the labor is much cheaper. While SRT needs to hull the engine, open it up and rebuild the internal to accomadate the big hp. That's the major difference.

Quick Reply: gs 400 twin turbo Srt 2weeks?