Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

gs 400 twin turbo Srt 2weeks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-02, 02:39 AM
power3dfx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

by the way, anybody read the new car and driver mag.
dinan m5 sports an extra 75 horses, at a cost of around 40k!!!
Plus, there wasnt any work done to internals or the trans.
Let SRT do what they want. What you see as good or bad, they might view totally different. There is a reason for people who are very knowledgeable deciding upon a certain plan.
Also, i am not disagreeing that the supra turbo engine swap is a bad idea. This is just another route.
By the way, why would anyone protest against a new advance. Whether the TT setup takes the glory or shame trophy, it has entered new fields, and it will learn for future applications through this experience. How else does the world expand and grow????
Much props and luck to the people at SRT and potential buyers of their products.
* I am not affiliated with SRT in any way. Actually, have never even talked to them. Just shining some light on some (+) key points people are neglecting about this subject.
Old 10-05-02, 03:09 AM
roenick7
Driver

Mariusz,
Good post, you explained everything with good detail. When I first made this post I was upset to see the turbo 30K and more upset to see MO not offering the SC when I was ready to buy. Since then I have found a RMM SC W/ Intercooler injectors... which will get 380-400 rwhp. The option is still out there if you get a RMM bolt on kit. Also what's going to happen when I hit the 175 shot of NOS:eek: 675fwhp I think I will lower it to 125 shot and hang with 500RWHP I don't even know if the tranny will take that abuse even with a valve body upgrade and T/C. Well I can always sell the damn thing on ebay for parts :
Old 10-05-02, 09:14 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all im gonna say is this:

what would you rather 600rwhp with about 500rpm faster spool

or

2JZ-GTE WITH GETRAG 6 SPEED MANUAL

I can get it done for aboutg 7,000us

800rwhp

Sale price: $8,199.00

TEIN Coil-overs - $1000

JIC Exhaust $700

Work or Rays wheels and tires - $3500

Tom's Full Chassis Links And Underbody LCB - $500

Ugo upper STB - $400

TRD LSD - $1000

Racing Clutch - $3000

Compleate Line Of Gauges and RSM-GP - $800

AP Racing Brake Upgrade - $4000

= $30,099

A fully balanced street luxury race car - PRICELESS

Old 10-05-02, 09:28 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

roenick7- From what I have read, that is HP at the crank, not wheels
Old 10-05-02, 09:38 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by DrRick
oh and btw, have you ever looked at the graph for a single. no usuable tq below 3500, but a helluva lot after 4000. i am anxious to see what the graph of a tt 4 liter will look like......
Well, I wont name names, but there are a couple of "big time" 2jz tuners here in Texas(one right here in Austin) whose emphasis is often on the power under the curve, which is of HUGE importance on the street...hence a 9.8@153mph
Attached Thumbnails gs 400 twin turbo Srt 2weeks?-sw-9sec-supra.jpg  
Old 10-05-02, 11:14 AM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Originally posted by tinygs

Well, I wont name names, but there are a couple of "big time" 2jz tuners here in Texas(one right here in Austin) whose emphasis is often on the power under the curve, which is of HUGE importance on the street...hence a 9.8@153mph
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is SW's car. He's running a 6spd with a T78. Beautiful and probably one of the cleanest cars around.
http://www.turboimports.com/swst88supra.html

all im gonna say is this:

what would you rather 600rwhp with about 500rpm faster spool

or

2JZ-GTE WITH GETRAG 6 SPEED MANUAL

I can get it done for aboutg 7,000us

800rwhp

Sale price: $8,199.00
Lol. Who is doing this $7,000US setup that gives you 800RWHP? I know for 99% it is not possible. Please give me their # as they will have more customers than any tunner in the US.

T78 Turbo Kit (best bang for the buck, otherwise I would consider PHR Stage 2+ for $7000)
$3900

Fuel System
$2000

FMIC
$1200 w/shipping

VPC + GCC or AEM
$1500

RMM Downipe
$300

Turbo Timer
$100

Boost and other Gauges
$600

Labor with Dyno and Tunning
$2400
------------------------------------------
$12,000 that does not include other little things that are not in my head right now. The labor cost is probably unrealistic, but this is just to show that off the top of my head, I can list several cost effective things that go into a 6XX Supra and the total is still above $12K. Realistically, the figure you are talking about cannot be accomplished with anything less than 15-20K. Don't believe me? Call Larry from Sound Performance or any other reputable tuner from the US. All this time, we are of course talking about the Supra. Now, imagine if this setup will go on one of a kind, never done to date, Lexus GS3, with a weaker tranny and other subcomponents. I think you get the point.
This does not include other little things which will add up and is the cheapest solution to putting down in the 6XXRWHP range. This is definitely not in the 800RWHP range you''re talking about. We really shouldn't throw around numbers like that becasue contrary to the belief of the Fast and the Furious, there is a **** load of work that goes into 800RWHP+ car. Just ask Marko (the guy that raced Hennesey's viper) how many pistons and trannies he has been through. Better yet, call SW from Turbo Imports and ask him how much did it cost to do his performance work in his ~800RWH (no nos) Supra.

I hope you don't think I'm picking on you, but there is just so much more involved than what the movies show or website claim. There really is no simple recipe for an 800RWHP+ Supra and definitely not for the GS3 Lexus. We are also not going to discuss the TT 2835 setup on a Supra as we would be starting off with a 8K+ turbo kit alone!

My .03 cents. (in USD)

Last edited by Mariusz; 10-05-02 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-05-02, 11:45 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

This is from the SC forum

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Ebanks
Bean-

Can you give me a price breakdown of making 650 RWHP for less than $12k with a 2jz swap?

-Ethan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry guys, I didn't see this post.

Yup sure no problem

this is all assumed you do it yourself

2jz motor + T78 kit + custom fuel + used VPC/AFC + race gas = 650rwhp+

if you wanna do it on pump gas; pick up a RPS turbo kit or SP turbo kit (like a SP63) and a upgraded fuel system (make your own or spend $700 over what its really worth from a vendor)... and of course good control

this is negating the notion of the tranny I know. With the 6-speed tranny swap along with the LSD you'd be approaching $12k-$14k

Don't believe this is possible? Give me $12k and I'll prove it to you

Old 10-05-02, 12:17 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Every scrap of debate over getting 650-800 RWHP from a 2jz swap is PURE SPECULATION unless you can site specific cars who have these #'s with this investment?? Currently, the references provided are not those of our existing CL members, just "xyz at xyz performance shop has done the swap resulting in xyz rwhp for xyz $$$$$". Where are these cars/people??? Where are these 93-98 2jz Supra to 98+GS swaps resulting in 650-800 rwhp for UNDER 15K??????????? Please post pics/dyno sheets/breakdown of cost including labor if you are going to boast about how much it costs(or how cheap it is). Surely any shop that offers this upgrade will be HAPPY to do so..........
Old 10-05-02, 12:35 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

I cannot see a swap for 12k with 600whp. I have seen any post anything to prove it. It seems hardware alone will set you back 10k for a good setup, plus labor!
Old 10-05-02, 12:55 PM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Originally posted by jpa2400
This is from the SC forum

quote:
Originally posted by Ebanks
Bean-

Can you give me a price breakdown of making 650 RWHP for less than $12k with a 2jz swap?

-Ethan

Sorry guys, I didn't see this post.

Yup sure no problem

this is all assumed you do it yourself

2jz motor + T78 kit + custom fuel + used VPC/AFC + race gas = 650rwhp+

if you wanna do it on pump gas; pick up a RPS turbo kit or SP turbo kit (like a SP63) and a upgraded fuel system (make your own or spend $700 over what its really worth from a vendor)... and of course good control

this is negating the notion of the tranny I know. With the 6-speed tranny swap along with the LSD you'd be approaching $12k-$14k

Don't believe this is possible? Give me $12k and I'll prove it to you

I think I can assume that we are talking about a Supra upgrade here as there are many other things that would have to be custom made for the T78 GS3 kit (such as piping as an example) that would incur lots of additional cost. Also, when we are discussing these types of upgrades, it is safe to assume a half decent shop is doing the work. I think a "backyard mechanic" doesn't count. No offense, I don't think anyone would give their 30K+ car to someone that claims to "do it himself." Very easy to say "give me 12K and I'll prove it," but little harder to do. Would love to see some previous 6XX RWHP GS's to back up this "Give me 12K and I'll show you" claims. Atually, all I need to see is 1. Lol. If we are actually talking about a swap, then I don't know where to start as there is literally 100 other things to address. Not to mention, how are you going to accomplish the first step, take the engine out. Also, the "do it yourself" process relates to about 1% of Lexus and maybe 10% Supra owners.

Another little thing that popped in my head is......how much $ alone has to be spend on dyno and tunning ($75/hour) on the car? I think it is fair to say that at least a day will be spent on tunning unless you are some type of a miracle wrencher. This "tunning" cost alone will cost an arm and a leg.

In the end, after all of these 800,900,1000RWHP figures, easy bolt-ons, special garages, low costs, reliability, there still does not exist a 600RWHp+ GS period. If it was as easy done as some think, why after 4 years in production, there still isn't 1 600RWHP GS? Also, if anyone there can do this job for 12K, I will tell you right now, you will put SRT and other tunners out of business. Lol.

Very well put tiny.
Old 10-05-02, 01:01 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well like i said, from the horses mouth (SP Engineering) the swap with a used 2jz is $18K. I also find it hard to believe that someone could do a swap with a worked single and a 6sp for 12. if someone can give me concrete evidence, i would greatly appreciate it. anyone, anyone.........

Doc
Old 10-05-02, 01:16 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

18k is a est, and if they run into problems? If it was a 18k purchased out the door with no extra costs, just drop off the car and the check, well it sounds sweet.. but is that the case
Old 10-05-02, 01:24 PM
roenick7
Driver

jpa2400 -

380-400 RWHP is correct with their intercooler and 480cc injectors, fuel system... This is the second generation not the 340RWHP you are thinking of. I go in on the 14th I will post a dyno after I get it back. I have to have a head taken off and fix an exhaust valve seat that is ^%$-up so it will take all week before the SC is on and tuned.

QUESTION FOR ALL

HOW DO WE HOOK UP THE RUBBER ON ANY GS MODEL WITH OVER 400RWHP?? I HAVE A FEELING 275/30/19 'S WILL NEED MORE HELP THAN JUST THEIR SURFACE AREA NOT TO BREAK LOOSE.

(F&B sways;TRD USB;cross drill rotors;braided brake lines; TRD pads;RMM T/C;RMM rear diff;SRT valve body;HID;stand alone fuel/timing;Apexi REV/SPEED;A/F meeter;NAV;175shot NOS; RMM grill;Bilstien/Eibach;19"wheels 245F 275R; OCT 14th RMM S/C.)
Old 10-05-02, 02:02 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

I thought I read that with minor fender mods you can do a 10” rim with a 295 on the rear, plus it’s not all about rubber, having some solid suspension components will make a big difference. It sounds like you will have a pretty sick setup.
Old 10-05-02, 05:10 PM
roenick7
Driver

thanks JPA2400

Suspension mods that will help on this?? Tien coilovers? what else???
Thanks

Quick Reply: gs 400 twin turbo Srt 2weeks?