Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So if Lexus ECU's cannot be chipped / remapped

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-11, 02:57 PM
APynckel
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by my95tsi
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but enjoy the car for what it is. It's not a DSM, it's a Lexus. DSM's are dinosaurs which is why most are no longer on the road. By now the they have all either rusted or crankwalked themselves to the graveyard. Make your Lexus look nice, sound nice, and heck even handle nice but don't expect much more than that. Maybe one day you can buy and ISF and let the modding for power begin.
pull your head out of the clouds. You're not a "bearer of bad news" you don't understand that I don't want to tune the car for power, I want to tune the car for drivability. I understand that the ECU is intelligent, but it's obviously not so intelligent to know that when my foot is off the gas, I want to coast, and not decel in gear (to conserve gasoline).

I still own my DSM. And I didn't have a shop build / tune it either.
Old 09-19-11, 03:00 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Guys please keep this thread polite and mature.
Old 09-19-11, 04:16 PM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by APynckel
pull your head out of the clouds. You're not a "bearer of bad news" you don't understand that I don't want to tune the car for power, I want to tune the car for drivability. I understand that the ECU is intelligent, but it's obviously not so intelligent to know that when my foot is off the gas, I want to coast, and not decel in gear (to conserve gasoline).

I still own my DSM. And I didn't have a shop build / tune it either.
Good luck man! Wish you the best
Old 09-19-11, 04:27 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

Unfortunately doing any sort of tuning will require either replacing the ECU with some sort of standalone ECU, or reverse-engineering the stock ECU to come up with a new program to flash it with. Both of these suggestions will be somewhat difficult due to the complexity of the system.

The factory ECU controls a lot of systems in the car, and can't just be replaced with another ECU. There aren't a lot of ECU's on the market that also control the transmission and the IS also uses a D4/D4S direct port injection system. On the IS350 you'd need to control 2 injectors per cylinder (1 direct port, one manifold port), on the IS250 just the direct port injector. The ECU also controls the cruise control and the throttle body based on the pedal signal. It also controls the immobilizer system, etc. and is in constant communication with the other body ECU's in the car.

Basically, you'll need to run a standalone while leaving the stock ECU in place. A lot of IS300 guys do this, but it does present a few problems regarding what the stock ECU can see and what it can't. It also means that the ECU either thinks the car is not running, or is running but it can't control anything, which typically leads to a light show happening on the dashboard.

If you have the capability to figure out what's going on in the stock ECU to come up with a new program for it, that would of course solve a lot of those issues, but Toyota/Lexus is very tight-fisted with information about how their electronics work, and flashing procedures. You'd probably be able to get the hardware to reprogram the ECU somewhat easily, but there is no way to actually pull any information out of the ECU (with what is on the market now) as far as I know. So that would be something you'd need to develop. Perhaps contacting the companies out there that have done something similar with the Scion tC and Tundra may yield some results.

I'd love to see you do some things with the 2IS, as not a lot exists out there right now, but my hopes are not that high. The 2IS is not a tuner car, and as such, not much is available even to just change driveability.

Jeff
Old 09-20-11, 06:36 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

At least you have the Lexus for when the DSM is broke! hehe just kidding.

Sounds like you need a Hybrid!
Old 09-20-11, 06:40 AM
APynckel
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stylnhonda
At least you have the Lexus for when the DSM is broke! hehe just kidding.

Sounds like you need a Hybrid!
That's why I bought the Lexus. The DSM does not get adequate fuel economy for my 2x a day 45 mile commute to and from work. It's A/C also sucks (only works intermittently on the freeway). So it is now the dedicated toy, until I buy the real toy.

And hell no, I will never own an Hybrid or an electric drive vehicle until nuclear power becomes more than 20% of the american electric grid. Costs WAY too much in materials to produce those vehicles (and the battery packs are hella expensive to replace).
Old 09-20-11, 06:48 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

Well the Lexus already gets better gas mileage than your GSX! Why mess with it any further? I'd say the guys at Toyota know a thing or two about tunning the cars!

I see you have Mechanical Engineer in your sig. Are you fresh out of school?
Old 09-20-11, 06:50 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by APynckel
I never said I could get 400hp out of this engine. But I could sure as hell lean out the mix enough under cruise to net me some more MPG's, and tune the low end timing for more torque.
You might be surprised. AFAIK the car runs fairly lean already (thanks to direct injection).

It's one of the reasons the couple guys who have run AFCs at the track to lean it out only picked up single-digit hp too.

Might benefit you to put a scanner on the car and see what it's doing. Not to say there's no room to improve anything but I think it's less than you suspect.

The MAPECU3 might be one way to go- AFAIK PEPOS is only using it on open-loop mode though so that won't help any for normal driveability. IIRC you need additional hardware to try it in closed loop, which I don't think anyone has done yet on the 2IS.
Old 09-20-11, 06:50 AM
APynckel
Pole Position

Yes, it gets better gas mileage, but my brain demands it get better (and I like to have control of my vehicles).

I graduated this summer, yes.
Old 09-20-11, 06:57 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

I see, well congrats! I would just do some small mods to the IS to have some fun with it. It makes for a good sporty daily!
Old 09-20-11, 07:00 AM
APynckel
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stylnhonda
I see, well congrats! I would just do some small mods to the IS to have some fun with it. It makes for a good sporty daily!
Yea, as far as the engine will go is an intake pipe / drop in K&N filter, and then aesthetic mods (replacing interior bulbs / exterior). MAYBE an exhaust if I get bored with the car, but it's not likely. I like having the car quiet under cruise.

Eventually, I'd like to take it to do some road course racing and learn how to drive. The DSM has too much power to learn with (though AWD sure is a hell of a lot of fun).
Old 09-20-11, 10:31 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont understand why you want to mess with the ecu below 60% throttle anyway. What did you hope to accomplish that the oem ecu doesnt do already?

I mean, I purchased the mapecu to eek out what I could at WOT and I'll let the oem ecu handle the rest of the day to day issues. For what it's worth, my afr's were reading only 11.1 at WOT near redline. I should have plenty of room to safely squeeze out 20 more ponies I think.

Last edited by 06isDriver; 09-20-11 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-20-11, 12:16 PM
APynckel
Pole Position

Your AFR's need to be closer to 13:1 for a "good" tune in an N/A car, but you get more power from a good timing curve than air/fuel ratios.
Old 09-22-11, 12:33 AM
GilIS250
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Modding =/= tuning. Most people on CL mod their cars, given that like you said, tuning is not an option.
He said it for me , if I wanted to go fast I would just get me a civic...
Old 09-28-11, 03:52 PM
hydralisk
Driver

Good luck APynckel,

This forum is very pessimistic and just because someone on the internet said it cannot be done, 99% of them believe this and quit. I get the same slack from the ISF section and already have proved a few "facts" as wrong. The world is still flat.

Dont think buying an ISF will solve the problems either, we have a smaller aftermarket.

Stay positive and do what you do. HKS350 should have some answers you seek. I love his ambition.