Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So if Lexus ECU's cannot be chipped / remapped

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-11, 11:45 AM
APynckel
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So if Lexus ECU's cannot be chipped / remapped

Why does anyone attempt to mod these cars at all? I mean the whole purpose of "tuning" a car is to TUNE the engine's maps.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I came from the early ages of DSM's, and I tuned my vehicles A/F trims and timing map after every modification. How can we modify these vehicles and expect to make any kind of decent power if we cannot even tune them?
Old 09-19-11, 11:56 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

"HKS350" I think is the only guy with a tune or close to it, check his progress thread in the 2IS Performance section.

And to answer, i mod because I'm a car enthusiast and I get bored. At the end of the day my opinion is that we drive luxury sport sedans, so I'm not too worried about tuning and FI.
Old 09-19-11, 11:59 AM
APynckel
Pole Position

I'm not worried about forced induction on this vehicle either, but N/A mods still require you to iron out a map to account for the changes to the engine's volumetric efficiency at different RPMs.
Old 09-19-11, 12:38 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Modding =/= tuning. Most people on CL mod their cars, given that like you said, tuning is not an option.
Old 09-19-11, 12:52 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

The usual suck and blow mods a factory ECU can make "some" adjustments for. Glad I don't have to tune a carb! LOL
Old 09-19-11, 01:16 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by APynckel
I'm not worried about forced induction on this vehicle either, but N/A mods still require you to iron out a map to account for the changes to the engine's volumetric efficiency at different RPMs.
You can run 5-6 psi of boost on a supercharger on the stock ECU, it'll adjust based on feedback from the O2s and various sensors.

An intake or exhaust is peanuts compared to that and the stock ECU is just fine there too.

You can run an AFC that'll let you lean out fuel trims at WOT if you want, though the ECU will tune those changes back out after 50-100 miles, so it's most useful at the track or other WOT-only situations. There's not a ton of power to pick up there... (maybe 5-8 hp).

Or you can drop a ton of $ and get a "full" piggyback system like HKS350 is using on his supercharger setup. But your costs will begin to approach the price difference between an IS350 and an IS-F, for smaller gains.
Old 09-19-11, 01:19 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Remapping an ECU's hard coded A/F is a difficult and tedious task. Take for instance the Renesaus microprocessor on Suby's and some other toyotas. The built-in security features on that micro would delete the entire flash contents of that ECU, pretty much bricking it and rendering it useless. There are more things to it than that, but it does require intimate knowledge of that micro, dissassembly of the ECU image file, and writing your own bootloader.

All I know is if someone creates this application, they'll be making some serious bucks
Old 09-19-11, 01:50 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

People here mod for looks. Exhaust and intake it for pure sound. I see you have 250 remapping it wont dont anything worth wilded anyway even with basic bolt on.
Old 09-19-11, 01:58 PM
APynckel
Pole Position

Originally Posted by laobo979
People here mod for looks. Exhaust and intake it for pure sound. I see you have 250 remapping it wont dont anything worth wilded anyway even with basic bolt on.
You doubt my tuning abilities :P

I made 400awhp/400awtq on a 16g with my dsm (on an OEM ECU's resolution).

There is ALWAYS room to squeeze more power out of the engine with a good brain behind the laptop.
Old 09-19-11, 01:59 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have full faith that the mapecu3 I've got will be able to tune fuel and timing. I'm waiting on my wideband and some time at the shop and it'll be up and running. Hopefully we'll see the first 300whp NA is350 here real soon. I'm hoping before Oct.

Pepos from Greece is also running the mapecu on his supercharged is250 and has had great results.
Old 09-19-11, 02:05 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Just saying bro IS250 aint no DSM your compare apple to orange. If you think you can squeeze 400hp out of IS250 just on tune we all like to see that
Old 09-19-11, 02:25 PM
APynckel
Pole Position

Originally Posted by laobo979
Just saying bro IS250 aint no DSM your compare apple to orange. If you think you can squeeze 400hp out of IS250 just on tune we all like to see that
I never said I could get 400hp out of this engine. But I could sure as hell lean out the mix enough under cruise to net me some more MPG's, and tune the low end timing for more torque.
Old 09-19-11, 02:45 PM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You doubt my tuning abilities :P

I made 400awhp/400awtq on a 16g with my dsm (on an OEM ECU's resolution).

There is ALWAYS room to squeeze more power out of the engine with a good brain behind the laptop.
Buddy I think you're way behind the curve. You last two posts have been in regards to topics that people have literally beat to death on this forum. Trust me, you're not the only one who thinks that they can reinvent the wheel just because they bought a new car that they know nothing about. So far your goals are tuning a very restricted and intellegent ECU and removing the charcoal filter on the intake. If you have searched first you would have found your answers. I had 1995 Talon Tsi in highschool with a 16g making the same amount of power tuned by AMS. I then upgraded to a 2005 Evo 8, while similar motors the technology was far upgraded. Comparing a 2ng Gen DSM to an an IS250 is like comparing a Fiat to a Ferari...worlds apart in technology. If you really knew how to tune and cared about wanting to make more power you would have not bought an IS250. You bought the wrong car, sorry. You would have still bought the wrong car if you got an IS350. You can do all you want to the IS250 but no matter what you do even with a supercharger and the best tuning out there, any stock IS350 on the road will still walk all over you. At the end of the day was it really worth it? The answer is no.
Old 09-19-11, 02:47 PM
APynckel
Pole Position

Sigh........
Old 09-19-11, 02:55 PM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sigh........
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but enjoy the car for what it is. It's not a DSM, it's a Lexus. DSM's are dinosaurs which is why most are no longer on the road. By now the they have all either rusted or crankwalked themselves to the graveyard. Make your Lexus look nice, sound nice, and heck even handle nice but don't expect much more than that. Maybe one day you can buy and ISF and let the modding for power begin.

Quick Reply: So if Lexus ECU's cannot be chipped / remapped