Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Reuse TB gasket for Plug Change?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-11, 10:01 AM
mphsatty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reuse TB gasket for Plug Change?

I searched and couldn't find an answer to my question.

I'm going to change my plugs and wires this week-end in my 2001 GS300. Following directions in AlldataDIY, I will remove the throttle body gasket (made with steel). My question is whether I should reuse the existing gasket or buy a new one (cost is between $50 and $75).

For those who have reused the TB gasket, did you have air leaks or other problems?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-23-11, 10:24 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

Alldata can tell u if its reuseable or not
Old 09-23-11, 10:53 AM
mphsatty
Driver School Candidate

I looked at Alldata, and they don't have it marked as a non-reusable part. But it is metal and I assume it deforms to a certain extent the first time it's tightened down.

Actually, I'd rather replace it, but all the local part stores say it's not in stock and would take a few days to come in if they special-ordered it. I wish I'd thought about it a few days ago when I ordered the plugs/wires.

And I really don't want to go to the local dealership!

Oh well, guess I'll clean it up and make sure it's not bent or distorted.
Old 09-23-11, 12:58 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

did u try our local toyota wolfchase with the same part #?

they typically stock stuff at a much cheaper price than that POS Lexus dealership we have in town
Old 09-23-11, 02:09 PM
mphsatty
Driver School Candidate

Brian, I dropped by Wolfchase Toyota a few minutes ago. They can get the gasket by Tuesday morning for $45 instead of $75----so I placed the order. I couldn't believe it...............they said in the entire continental US there are only 4 of those particular gaskets in Los Angeles and 1 in Cincinnati!
Old 09-23-11, 02:22 PM
mphsatty
Driver School Candidate

and we do have a POS Lexus Dealership!!! I took my car there only once--to change a c-best option.
Old 09-26-11, 08:58 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mphsatty
Brian, I dropped by Wolfchase Toyota a few minutes ago. They can get the gasket by Tuesday morning for $45 instead of $75----so I placed the order. I couldn't believe it...............they said in the entire continental US there are only 4 of those particular gaskets in Los Angeles and 1 in Cincinnati!
yeah their prices arent always the best especially compared to sewell but if you GOTTA have something on a short notice they typically have it and they half the price of the local lexus dealership. i try and only talk to danny as the other guy always tries to retail me

Originally Posted by mphsatty
and we do have a POS Lexus Dealership!!! I took my car there only once--to change a c-best option.
i was gonna take it there to do a c-best option till i got their and they told me there was no such thing as c-best and they didnt know what i was talking about, i just laughed and said "ok,deuces"
Old 10-04-11, 02:35 PM
mphsatty
Driver School Candidate

Definitely time to walk out of there!
Old 10-04-11, 02:57 PM
mphsatty
Driver School Candidate

Anyway, the plug change was routine with one exception. During removal, the number 3 plug was noticeably tighter than the others. After I put some anti-seize on the threads of the new plug, it began threading and continued to do so until about halfway down. [I used a rubber hose to get it started so as not to cross-thread it.] At that point, it started spinning and would not thread any deeper into the head. I reversed the ratchet, and it would not back out either. It just continued to spin. Finally, I used my left hand to apply downward pressure to the ratchet's extension while turning clockwise. The plug caught quickly, and it tightened down properly. My question is this......do ya'll think I'll have trouble removing this plug when it's time for the next plug change? Are the cylinder head's threads damaged? I'm hoping the new plug maybe acted as a chaser and cleaned the threads up as it continued to thread past the halfway point.
Old 10-09-11, 02:33 PM
mphsatty
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone experienced any problems with threads while removing old plugs or installing new spark plugs?