Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Drive Belt Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-11, 04:09 PM
p0lo8
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Belt Question

Ok, so i am confused. What i read in forums here there is NO drive belt. It is a drive chain and requires no maintenance.
So why then lexus dealer told my that drive belt needs to be changed? and if there is no belt why auto stores have them??example
also in lexus scheduled service it says "inspect drive belt"
Old 09-28-11, 04:13 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

There is no timing belt on this car, it's a timing chain. Never needs replacement. Yes, you have a DRIVE belt (serpentine.) It does need to be replaced when it's worn.
Old 09-28-11, 04:14 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

What you read in the forums is that we have no timing belt. We have a timing chain instead. We do have a drive belt to run accessories like the A/C compressor.
Old 09-28-11, 04:20 PM
p0lo8
Pole Position

Thanks.
Is it difficult procedure to replace it, i mean can home-mechanic do it or it requires some special tools or something?
Old 09-28-11, 04:47 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The timing chain? You should never need to replace it. And my understanding is that if it does need to be replaced for some reason, it's far beyond the realm of the at-home DIYer.
Old 09-28-11, 04:53 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by calvin2376
The timing chain? You should never need to replace it. And my understanding is that if it does need to be replaced for some reason, it's far beyond the realm of the at-home DIYer.
I think he's referring to the serpentine belt. I'd guess it's not too difficult to replace although I haven't seen a DIY on this forum (never searched.) Usually it involves loosening up the tensioner and then swapping out belts. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes!
Old 09-28-11, 05:01 PM
p0lo8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by anthrax144
I think he's referring to the serpentine belt. I'd guess it's not too difficult to replace although I haven't seen a DIY on this forum (never searched.) Usually it involves loosening up the tensioner and then swapping out belts. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes!
Yes i meant a serpentine belt. In a few days I'm gonna take a car to my mechanic and will see how it goes.
Old 09-28-11, 05:03 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

I don't believe it's a difficult job for the serpentine belt...

I brought my car into the dealer for a rattle and squealing nose coming from the engine. According to them a bearing in my water pump had cracked and my serpentine belt had glazed...

So when they did my water pump, they said they'd replace the belt free of labor charge as according to them it's simply "throwing it on there". I did have to pay $40 for the belt but that was it.

Edit:

they replaced my entire water pump for free under warranty.
Old 09-28-11, 05:12 PM
p0lo8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kuuqi
I don't believe it's a difficult job for the serpentine belt...

I brought my car into the dealer for a rattle and squealing nose coming from the engine. According to them a bearing in my water pump had cracked and my serpentine belt had glazed...

So when they did my water pump, they said they'd replace the belt free of labor charge as according to them it's simply "throwing it on there". I did have to pay $40 for the belt but that was it.

Edit:

they replaced my entire water pump for free under warranty.
lexus dealer quoted me $160 belt included.
Old 09-28-11, 05:28 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Belt is $27 from Sewell. I'm pretty sure it's just one bolt to loosen (tensioner with reverse threads.) I would take it to another mechanic and get a better quote.
Old 09-28-11, 05:52 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

I replaced the belt a few months ago in my Auto Tech class in high school. My belt was good but they had the serpentine belt wrench so I decided to do it since the tools were there in class. It takes only 20 minutes if done right but I ran into an unexpected problem and it took an hour.

All you need is a breaker bar, a 21mm or 22mm socket (not sure but somewhere in the low 20's), new drive belt, and a helper. First, just take off the front engine bay cover and the engine cover. Put the socket and breaker bar on the tensioner bolt and pull up to the left to release tension (don't turn bolt unless it is completely tightened and you can't pull tensioner). Now have a helper take off the belt while you're pulling the tensioner. The install is just opposite, pull the tensioner and have another person put the belt in place. I forgot specifically, but I think it was easiest to slip the belt on the tensioner last. Then just release the tensioner and you're done. Tighten the tensioner bolt if necessary. (Here's where I messed up on, other kids in my Auto Tech class "loosened" the bolt by the "lefty loosey" method. I tried turning it right but it seemed to never stop, and the tensioner completely fell apart into the bay. That's when I found out the tensioner bolt is a reverse thread meaning you turn left to tighten and right to loosen.

Good luck and this is a simple 20 minute DIY that should only cost you $20-30, not $160.
Old 09-28-11, 05:54 PM
p0lo8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by anthrax144
Belt is $27 from Sewell. I'm pretty sure it's just one bolt to loosen (tensioner with reverse threads.) I would take it to another mechanic and get a better quote.
Thats what lexus stealership wanted to charge me. I got the belt from auto store and just gonna take the car to my mechanic. He is just retired guy who knows about the cars, thats why i asked does it require any special/fancy tools bc I'm not taking it to the shop. And what he charges me is silly. In my previous car, honda civic, he replaced both rear struts and charged me $20
Old 09-28-11, 05:56 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

LOL, I just realized you're in the same state as me. Are you in Chicago?
Old 09-28-11, 05:59 PM
p0lo8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chi123
I replaced the belt a few months ago in my Auto Tech class in high school. My belt was good but they had the serpentine belt wrench so I decided to do it since the tools were there in class. It takes only 20 minutes if done right but I ran into an unexpected problem and it took an hour.

All you need is a breaker bar, a 21mm or 22mm socket (not sure but somewhere in the low 20's), new drive belt, and a helper. First, just take off the front engine bay cover and the engine cover. Put the socket and breaker bar on the tensioner bolt and pull up to the left to release tension (don't turn bolt unless it is completely tightened and you can't pull tensioner). Now have a helper take off the belt while you're pulling the tensioner. The install is just opposite, pull the tensioner and have another person put the belt in place. I forgot specifically, but I think it was easiest to slip the belt on the tensioner last. Then just release the tensioner and you're done. Tighten the tensioner bolt if necessary. (Here's where I messed up on, other kids in my Auto Tech class "loosened" the bolt by the "lefty loosey" method. I tried turning it right but it seemed to never stop, and the tensioner completely fell apart into the bay. That's when I found out the tensioner bolt is a reverse thread meaning you turn left to tighten and right to loosen.

Good luck and this is a simple 20 minute DIY that should only cost you $20-30, not $160.
Thanks for info, very helpful!
Old 09-28-11, 06:02 PM
p0lo8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chi123
LOL, I just realized you're in the same state as me. Are you in Chicago?
I am from Rockford, not too far from Chicago. New member, just got the license plates yesterday so did not have a chance to come to the CL of Chicago meet

Quick Reply: Drive Belt Question