Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

F-Sport Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-11, 02:14 PM
yoegster
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Sport Exhaust

Hello CL Members.
A few months ago got the F-Sport Intake for my 11 IS350 AWD.
Just got an estimate from dealer for $1500 for F-Sport Exhaust.
Tempted. Have heard all the videos. Just want some opinions. Is it loud (annoying) from in the car at idle and low RPMs? I am also hoping it doesn't sound like a 2000 Civic with one of those aftermarket exhausts that kids put on their cars.
Have the F-Sport Wheels - so this would put me well on my way to a 11 350AWD F-Sport!
Thanks!
Old 09-29-11, 02:27 PM
langjaykev
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sewell sells it for 1160ish shipped..
join sewell and include your CL account and you will get the discounted price..
http://is.sewellparts.com/
Old 09-29-11, 02:29 PM
langjaykev
Lead Lap

oh yeah , idle sounds good, has a nice low low rumble. IT does it loud at times at low rpm/uphills. But once you cruise at a certain speed its almost like stock.

Its perfect to me though, not to loud or quiet.
Old 09-29-11, 02:52 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm on the fence too. I don't want a highway drone but don't mind a little louder than stock. I've read here and there on how loud it is and even some youtube, but I have to hear it in person since everyone's idea of "loud" is different. I've heard the Tanabe's are the most quite.
Old 09-29-11, 02:56 PM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

It's loud from a stand still start. It tapers off when you start cruising. Noticeable going up hills or in the 2000-2500 rpm range, seems like that's the loud spot. Idle while parked or at the light = no noise. If you have your windows up, you won't really notice it after awhile and your music will probably drown out most of the sound. There is droning also, but not so bad. I'd probably see if you can find someone in your area that can take you for a spin.

added: say from a standstill I punch it. when you accelerate all the way to say 60km @3000 rpm (sorry I don't know miles since I'm in Canada), the noise starts to die down from the exhaust and the intake takes over. The loudest point imo is the 0-40km @ 2000- 2500 rpm range. (rough #'s). I think I measured it at about 92dB with the windows up. I can't remember.

It does not sound like a Civic with an aftermarket fart can.

Last edited by ddhleigh; 09-29-11 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-29-11, 03:02 PM
istarzan
Instructor

lol. Aftermarket fart can...
Old 09-29-11, 03:14 PM
yoegster
Driver

Thanks ddleigh. So idle is not much louder than stock? THat's good - since the "cans" that some folks put on are loud at idle. I want better sound when I hit the gas pedal - just not one at idle or cruising. Looking for someone in SE Pennsylvania who has one and asked dealer to call me if/when they get one.
Old 09-29-11, 03:19 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by yoegster
Hello CL Members.
A few months ago got the F-Sport Intake for my 11 IS350 AWD.
Just got an estimate from dealer for $1500 for F-Sport Exhaust.
Tempted. Have heard all the videos. Just want some opinions. Is it loud (annoying) from in the car at idle and low RPMs? I am also hoping it doesn't sound like a 2000 Civic with one of those aftermarket exhausts that kids put on their cars.
Have the F-Sport Wheels - so this would put me well on my way to a 11 350AWD F-Sport!
Thanks!
It's definitely going to be completely personal opinion on the exhaust. I never wanted an aftermarket exhaust because I looked down on them as loud fart cans. Then I came across the IS350 (I ended up buying) which had an F-Sport exhaust and I loved it. It's just the right amount of rumble at idle and noise during acceleration. I have absolutely no highway drone at all.

I would recommend trying to find someone who has one to listen to it in person and decide, but I personally love mine.
Old 09-29-11, 04:19 PM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yoegster
Thanks ddleigh. So idle is not much louder than stock? THat's good - since the "cans" that some folks put on are loud at idle. I want better sound when I hit the gas pedal - just not one at idle or cruising. Looking for someone in SE Pennsylvania who has one and asked dealer to call me if/when they get one.
You're welcome. Only other thing I can think of is the initial start of the vehicle in the morning. I leave my car out front and not in a garage. Initial start has the car reving at high rpm to warm up, but only for like 30 seconds or so? Maybe 20. You'll notice that for sure.
Old 09-30-11, 03:41 AM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

It definitely won't be loud at idle once you let it warm up. Plus, after about 3k rpm all the exhaust note goes away and your intake will be heard
Old 09-30-11, 12:57 PM
eriktreves
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ddhleigh
It's loud from a stand still start. It tapers off when you start cruising. Noticeable going up hills or in the 2000-2500 rpm range, seems like that's the loud spot. Idle while parked or at the light = no noise. If you have your windows up, you won't really notice it after awhile and your music will probably drown out most of the sound. There is droning also, but not so bad. I'd probably see if you can find someone in your area that can take you for a spin.

added: say from a standstill I punch it. when you accelerate all the way to say 60km @3000 rpm (sorry I don't know miles since I'm in Canada), the noise starts to die down from the exhaust and the intake takes over. The loudest point imo is the 0-40km @ 2000- 2500 rpm range. (rough #'s). I think I measured it at about 92dB with the windows up. I can't remember.

It does not sound like a Civic with an aftermarket fart can.
Exactly my comment! 2000-2500 going up hill it does drone. Everywhere else it either sounds great or you can't hear it. It is just in that sweet spot 20-40% throttle and 2000-2500 RPM that it is a bit annoying to my ears....I would still do it again though!
Old 09-30-11, 02:10 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Get one! Don't pay 1500 though! No drone if your following speed laws
Old 09-30-11, 03:57 PM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

I just put one on my 350 and I had one on my old 250. Seriously, having one again...I would never drive this car without an F-Sport exhaust. I checked out all the other options before going with this one. The Joe-Z would have been my next choice but it's pricey and I ended up getting mine given to me by the dealer so I couldn't turn it down. You won't notice much power, but throttle response is better and the sound is very tuned. I have had the HKS Hi-Power, (no offense to anyone) it sounds ricey, droney and way too loud. This is a classy noise for a classy car. But don't pay $1500...get it from Sewell and install yourself...it's a piece of cake. Or if you want piece of mind get your dealer to do it for an hour labor or see if they'll price match it for you...especially if you bought the car from them!
Old 09-30-11, 05:32 PM
Nelly
Instructor

There's a few members on here selling the in the classified section. See if you can get it from them first? (only if the combined shipping is cheaper than sewell) just a thought.

Btw I have the exhaust on my car and it just sounds like sex on a cold start and in a garage!
Old 09-30-11, 05:55 PM
yoegster
Driver

Wow! These responses have been great. Thank you. It is exactly what I "wanted" to hear. When you hit it hard you hear it, up hill fine, just don't want a oil can rattle and crap that you here on some after-market jobs that some kids do. I have a two cars from my dealer, they are great - I will either work something out with them or look somewhere else. But thank you for your great responses. A real great community at CL!

Quick Reply: F-Sport Exhaust