Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

MAPECU3, PPE headers dyno

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-11, 07:11 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MAPECU3, PPE headers dyno

So, here it is. I'm not entirely pleased with it cause I didnt make 300 but I still feel like its in there. It was already 11:30 the night before Import Face off and I was just getting on the dyno, so we didnt get it as fined tuned as I'd like. I was wanting to get it closer to 13 AFR instead of 12.5 at redline, but was able to take home first place all motor sport thanks to them.

The good news is that the mapecu works BEAUTIFULLY! The air/fuel is still the only thing we adjusted as the timing calculations from Lexus are incredibly sophisticated and would probably do a better job than we would. Launch control is possible he says but there was some technical hurdle we didnt have time to sort out.

The really good news is that this WILL work in both open and closed in a supercharged application. There are a few technical issues but, my guy assures me that it is entirely possible. He was in almost constant contact with the guys at MAPECU and even wrote up a binder full of notes throughout the 90 page manual on what would be needed in a full supercharger setup.

For supercharged you'll need the mapecu3 and the afr calibrator. You'll have to make your own base map but there is a learning feature that makes it rather easy.

Anyway, here ya go. I'm gonna seafoam it (85k miles of gunk) and polish up the lower intake plenum and see if I cant hit that magic number this weekend.

The green line is stock intake, invidia mid, and tanabe clone
Blue is my intake, invidia mid, and tanabe clone
Red is my intake, PPE headers, mapecu, and a custom exhaust I put together to tone it down after headers.

The headers by themselves only picked up 10 which was somewhat disappointing. He didnt include that line for some reason. Mapecu gave me almost 14 but like I said I still think there's some more in there. Total cost for mapecu and install 1400.

Last edited by 06isDriver; 10-05-11 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-03-11, 07:15 AM
APynckel
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait, I thought our intake manifolds were plastic?
Old 10-03-11, 07:20 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

the lower is aluminum. It's only a stretch of say 5-6 inches but it might help.
Old 10-03-11, 10:14 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Hummnnnn very interesting , get rid of the clone Tanabe and get real used one . That probably get u over the hump for 300rwhp
Old 10-03-11, 10:30 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

its not a clone anymore. After I put the headers on, the exhaust sounded like absolute crap. I went through a host of changes but finally went with some 12" vibrant straight through resonators where the cats used to be, into a single 3 inch flowmaster hushpower back out into two 16" total length slant tip straight through mufflers ( small diameter can style).

Maybe if I went with true dual with x over I could get the horsepower, but I dont want to sacrifice my low end grunt. I WANT BOTH!!!!

Like I said though, it was super late and we did a total of like 5 pulls. The afr near readline was still 12.5 whereas I wanted to go nearer to 13. I just think I need to play with it a little more. We actually ended up adding gas at the upper rpms when we hit that 293. I'm really hoping these free cleanup/polish jobs will get it there.
Old 10-03-11, 10:39 AM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good job man, 30HP gain all N/A on an IS350 is unheard of. Keep us updated on your progress. Also it would be nice if you could get an IS250 for some testing.
Old 10-04-11, 07:38 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool data. Go find another IS350 with a supercharger but 22" wheels, then blow its doors off....
Old 10-04-11, 10:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

congrats on pushing the envelope man . You'll get that magical "300" soon I'm sure
Old 10-05-11, 05:27 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Very nicely done! Looking forward to hearing more once you spend more time with the mapecu!
Old 10-05-11, 06:18 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

I'm currently cleaning up my intake manifold and polishing up the lower plenum and throttle body. I guess I'll take some pics for a diy if people wanted.

I dont really know if it'll help at all, but this small section of lower plenum is kinda cast a little ruff. Maybe a good polish will free up some more ponies at the upper rpms, which I could use.

The good news is that I'm fairly certain I cant mess up any kind of fuel delivery. It looks like the first introduction of gas is right before the valves. I dont have to worry about screwing up fuel atomization cause it hasnt even been sprayed when the air passes by this soon to be polisehd part. There's still a good bit of rougher plenum left too though, I wont mess with that.

The plastic upper is very smooth on the inside and matches the lower port perfectly. Theres no way to port the aluminum any larger because theres literally nothing you could do to increase airflow in the plastic section. You could however, maybe, port the lower directly to a ported head for some reason. Seems like more work than its worth really, though.

Last edited by 06isDriver; 10-05-11 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-06-11, 06:21 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 06isDriver

Mapecu gave me almost 14 but like I said I still think there's some more in there. Total cost for mapecu and install 1400.

Was the install insanely expensive or something? because back in the HKS thread you had posted this:

This is cool, but I'm not ploppin down 1350 for it. The mapecu3 can do all of these things too for just a little more than half the price. The one thing that the F-Con has over the mapecu is the video output.
But now it sounds like you actually spent 50 bucks more than the F-con setup to get the MAPECU3 working?
Old 10-06-11, 06:49 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

in my opinion, YES, it was insanely expensive, but I paid it because I didnt have time and really wanted it done right with some experience on my side. MAPECU was 740 shipped from New Zealand. The rest is install and tune.

I dont doubt I could have hooked it up myself. I was able to find all the information I needed about pinouts from the Toyota information site. Consider it an early Christmas gift to other folks looking to do the same, because without this shop, MAPECU wouldnt have had any of the information they have about the 2GR. My guy literally worked hand in hand with them to get wiring diagrams and system issues worked out. AND he went through the entire 90 page manual and figured out what would be necessary for supercharged applications like I plan on doing. He made this binder with all kinds of stuff related and literally has notes on every page. It was ridiculous how meticulous this guy was.

I certainly wouldnt do any of that. So was it expensive? yes, it ended up being so, but I wouldnt want it any other way now that it's all said and done. I made good friends, found a great shop, and was able to maybe help out future IS350 owners looking to do this too.

Last edited by 06isDriver; 10-06-11 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-06-11, 07:23 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I certainly wouldnt do any of that. So was it expensive? yes, it ended up being so, but I wouldnt want it any other way now that it's all said and done. I made good friends, found a great shop, and was able to maybe help out future IS350 owners looking to do this too.
Again, very nicely done! I dont think you can put a price tag on something like this done right and meticulously done right! $1400 is a drop in the bucket, IMO. I spent that much on trial and error sensors on my old IS3 stand alone.

Is this the updated diagram on map's site?

Old 10-06-11, 07:40 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

yes that is from my install, but I think I remember my tech saying that there was something still not right about it. I'll have to ask him again.
Old 10-06-11, 08:11 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good work man

Quick Reply: MAPECU3, PPE headers dyno