Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

300 rwhp is350?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-11, 02:02 PM
itruns
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink 300 rwhp is350?

Has anyone cleared 300rwhp with bolt on's on the is350 w/o N02? Thinking ppe headers and JoeZ full xpipe with cats?

Anyone coming to the Hennessy Lexus meet Saturday that has the JoeZ's so I can hear them in person?

We are hoping for 2 LFA's and a surprise 2013 "guest"
Old 10-08-11, 09:05 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

06isDriver is getting close
Old 10-10-11, 08:01 AM
itruns
Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
06isDriver is getting close
Isn't he the guy with the piggyback ECU? When you go to the 0-60/1/4 mile sites they list some pretty quick IS350's, but no details as to what has been done to them. There is even one that has supposdly broke into the 12's... and lots of 13.2/13.3's... they have to have some mods, right?

Also 4.8's 0-60? on a 13.3 ? I haven't ran my wifes IS350 yet, but Lexus claims a good bit slower. Is Lexus that conserative, are or the fellows doing more mods than I'm finding?
Old 10-10-11, 08:41 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by itruns
Isn't he the guy with the piggyback ECU?

he's running a MAPECU3 setup....

When you go to the 0-60/1/4 mile sites they list some pretty quick IS350's, but no details as to what has been done to them. There is even one that has supposdly broke into the 12's... and lots of 13.2/13.3's... they have to have some mods, right?
intake/exhaust, maybe different wheels/tires at most for the 13.2-13.3 crowd... the one in the 12s did some significant weight reduction if I recall (removed passenger seat and more)

Also 4.8's 0-60? on a 13.3 ? I haven't ran my wifes IS350 yet, but Lexus claims a good bit slower. Is Lexus that conserative, are or the fellows doing more mods than I'm finding?
Lexus is that conservative. Road and Track got 4.9 0-60 out of a bone stock IS350. (Lexus times are likely done with traction control left on too)
Old 10-10-11, 09:37 AM
itruns
Driver

As to the traction control... I had heard guys are leaving the is350 in "normal" and "drive" verses power and sport? It sure feels a good bit quicker in power/sport mode...

So what is the best lanch/run setting for this car... and why would that be?
Old 10-10-11, 10:37 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

As to the traction control... I had heard guys are leaving the is350 in "normal" and "drive" verses power and sport? It sure feels a good bit quicker in power/sport mode...

So what is the best lanch/run setting for this car... and why would that be?

From a dead stop?

Traction control and VSC both off.

ECT-Normal mode

Shifter left in D

That'll produce the fastest times, because everything else slows you down... (TC by pulling power on launch, ECT because power mode actually shifts at lower rpms, and D because the computer is a lot faster than you are and the paddles aren't really shifters anyway)

ECT-Power is only useful in part-throttle or on/off throttle driving like in traffic in the middle/upper gears... it slows you down in a drag race from a stop.
Old 10-12-11, 02:54 PM
itruns
Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
From a dead stop?

ECT-Normal mode

Shifter left in D

That'll produce the fastest times, because everything else slows you down... (TC by pulling power on launch, ECT because power mode actually shifts at lower rpms, and D because the computer is a lot faster than you are and the paddles aren't really shifters anyway)

ECT-Power is only useful in part-throttle or on/off throttle driving like in traffic in the middle/upper gears... it slows you down in a drag race from a stop.
I wonder if anyone has done any V box runs to test this?
The VSC and traction control off makes sense..
But I thought the sport mode for the transmission held the gear to a higher rpm, and shifted harder? And why would the power mode, if the intent is for more power,, why would it sharpen the throttle response, only to shift at a lower RPM? It seems counterintuitive to what one would think… I wonder why?
Old 10-13-11, 06:54 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

I wonder if anyone has done any V box runs to test this?
The VSC and traction control off makes sense..
But I thought the sport mode for the transmission held the gear to a higher rpm, and shifted harder? And why would the power mode, if the intent is for more power,, why would it sharpen the throttle response, only to shift at a lower RPM? It seems counterintuitive to what one would think… I wonder why?
Nope, sport mode doesn't change shift points at all.

ECT-Power doesn't change throttle response either, it changes transmission behavior, but shifts lower.

Gernby did datalogging to prove that point-

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3042656-post38.html

But that post is in a 7 page thread where others confirm the results, including those who did a fair # of 1/4 mile runs and always got better results in Normal mode than Power.

To see exactly what power mode DOES do, see here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3305550-post10.html

As to SPORT mode- nope, useless. Gernby (in that same 7 page thread) tested putting the car in S mode/6 then repeating his tests and he got the same results as when the car was in D.
Old 10-13-11, 07:29 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just thought I'd bring this up, seemed like a good time to.

In the HKS F-ConIs I have the ablity to tune shift points. I can tune in the following points.

1) RPM base
2) Shift timing ----I mean the actual speed of the shift! Not just at what point it shifts
3) Timing Accel or Decay via shift
4) Rev limit setting
5) Speed Cut Def.......HKS SCD built in to the unit and yes it works for auto's in this program.

I have done most of my tuning just in this area. Most of the issues I found was Lexus pulls 7 degrees of timing between shifts. Thats equals @ 15HP of power loss before the shift.

All of the sluggish feeling when using the paddle shifters is due to the timing decay. Lexus issues the change point 300rpm before shift with a .100 shift speed.
I have changed this to 50 RPM and .010 shift speed. I raised the Rev limit to 7000rpm. I still shift at the same 6500rpm tho due to VVt-i tuning issues. ( Stock ECU just doesn't know what to do with the cams after @ 6800rpm.) CEL everytime I try to go higher REV's

Here is the funny part.

I'm pulling 12-18 degrees of timing for boost. Then the Stock ECU pulls another 7 degrees. So thats 25 degrees of timing. Ouch!

I removed the 7 degrees of stock timing decay on the shift point. The IS350 now shifts so swift and crisp it sounds like an Indy car shift. The "crack of a whip" sound. I no longer hit the rev limit in "D" mode.

Now! I know this is going to kill the clutches over time but I don't care

Last edited by HKS350; 10-13-11 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-13-11, 07:33 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If a company would come out with a ESC for the ISx50 - ISF. It would sell like hotcakes once the reviews come out. The car is 1000x's more fun to drive.
Old 10-13-11, 08:40 AM
PetesSweet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
From a dead stop?

ECT-Normal mode

Shifter left in D

Thanks so much for that info, now I know for future reference. Btw I noticed in PWR mod that you guzzle way more gas to where I'm getting 18.5MPG when also using the paddle shifters.......so I noticed that's a bit of a buzzkill too
Old 10-13-11, 09:04 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HKS350

In the HKS F-ConIs I have the ablity to tune shift points. I can tune in the following points.

1) RPM base
2) Shift timing ----I mean the actual speed of the shift! Not just at what point it shifts
4) Rev limit setting
5) Speed Cut Def.......HKS SCD built in to the unit and yes it works for auto's in this program.

I have done most of my tuning just in this area. Most of the issues I found was Lexus pulls 7 degrees of timing between shifts. Thats equals @ 15HP of power loss before the shift.

All of the sluggish feeling when using the paddle shifters is due to the timing decay. Lexus issues the change point 300rpm before shift with a .100 shift speed.
I have changed this to 50 RPM and .010 shift speed. I raised the Rev limit to 7000rpm. I still shift at the same 6500rpm tho due to VVt-i tuning issues. ( Stock ECU just doesn't know what to do with the cams after @ 6800rpm.) CEL everytime I try to go higher REV's

Here is the funny part.

I'm pulling 12-18 degrees of timing for boost. Then the Stock ECU pulls another 7 degrees. So thats 25 degrees of timing. Ouch!

I removed the 7 degrees of stock timing decay on the shift point. The IS350 now shifts so swift and crisp it sounds like an Indy car shift. The "crack of a whip" sound. I no longer hit the rev limit in "D" mode.

Damn, I'm soo jealous now. The mapecu has the speed defeat, but nothing to do with the shift points which would be awesome.

I just got my wideband installed into the Mapecu and I'm showing 11.2ish at wot redline, whereas on the dyno that day we were well into the 12's. Either their dyno afr was reading very lean, or theres something wrong with this Innovate unit. I doubt it's the innovate, because they clearly say it will never run richer than it actually is.

I dunno, I sanded and polished up the lower plenum and throttle body, then a seafoam clean for the plastic manifold. Now, I just gotta get back on the dyno.

HKS350, keep it up. I'll be following you up soon enough with a mapecu boosted is350.
Old 10-13-11, 09:32 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HKS350

1) RPM base
4) Rev limit setting

Here is the funny part.

Great post HKS, I've read all your posts. As far as killing the clutches it depends on how much slip there is inbetween shifts and the traction from your tires,....something's got to give A nice tight quick shift with little slippage is not going to overheat the trans,...can you monitor the trans temp? If you can you can do some comparisons.

Keep the updated posts coming,....love what you've done so far.
Old 10-23-11, 08:38 AM
NafisC
Rookie

I hate these uncrackable Lexus ECU's. -__-
Old 10-23-11, 01:45 PM
four o two
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NafisC
I hate these uncrackable Lexus ECU's. -__-
Even if you could "crack" the ECU, there's not a lot left to give in a 3.5L V6 with almost 12:1 compression. You'd need to couple your tuning with better internals and a lower compression ratio for enhanced FI applications.

Quick Reply: 300 rwhp is350?