Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Hard time choosing spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-11, 10:37 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Hard time choosing spark plugs

I am between either the:

Denso SK20 - long life iridium (oem)
Denso IK20 - power iridium
Torque Master - S "Star" series

Ok, so I have a good amount of performance mods and since day one of starting mods I switched over to TM spark plugs. Hard to tell if I noticed a difference from the plugs because I did some performance mods with them a while back; in 2006. Then 2.5yrs later (~30k miles) I replaced my Torque Master's again with a new set of Torque Master's; obviously the car felt better because I was installing new plugs. However, that entire time I was always experiencing very poor gas mileage.

Could it be that the TM's are a range colder and my car does not call for it (meaning my mods aren't aggressive enough)? From researching on-line I found that going with a colder plug when the car does not call for it may make the car run very lean (which I have been battling issues with since I started modding) and resulting in poor gas mileage.

So my question is, should I go with the iridiums with the smaller electrode design? I don't want to lose performance so I was thinking the Denso Power Iridiums (IK20) and make sure they are the oem heat range (which would be the "20" in the number). I just want my car to burn more efficiently but with a more performance oriented plug. I researched the crap out of all this stuff for days. I know there are NGK equivalents for less money but many say stick to Denso; it is a Toyota / Lexus plug.

Can anyone give me some advice or opinions? Thanks
Old 10-12-11, 12:40 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Just get the long life. As i mentioned before all it does is provides ground for the secondary ignition system
Old 10-12-11, 01:36 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

retrofit diesel engine so that u dont have to deal with sparkplugs ever again

serious though just go with NGK Iridums or watever. also i if i recall.. Jeff Tsai just rocks the copper
Old 10-13-11, 09:42 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Unless you're running 100whp more than stock, you don't need to go to a colder plug. You're not going to gain any hp by going to iridium's either.

Here is what I recommend.

GS300 - NGK BKR5EKPB-11 (4302)
GS400/430 - NGK IFR6T11 (4589)

For boosted GS300's or GTE's that are running 300-450whp you can run NGK BKR6EKPB-11 (3452)

You need the dual electrode with a wasted spark system. You can use iridium, but there is no advantage and the life of them is greatly reduced compared to the double platinum.
Old 10-13-11, 10:51 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bippu147
Unless you're running 100whp more than stock, you don't need to go to a colder plug. You're not going to gain any hp by going to iridium's either.

Here is what I recommend

GS300 - NGK BKR5EKPB-11 (4302)
GS400/430 - NGK IFR6T11 (4589)

For boosted GS300's or GTE's that are running 300-450whp you can run NGK BKR6EKPB-11 (3452)

You need the dual electrode with a wasted spark system. You can use iridium, but there is no advantage and the life of them is greatly reduced compared to the double platinum.
So, you feel that I will not see any HP gain by going with iridiums but yet you then recommend a laser iridium such as the NGK IFR6T11 (4589); if anything I would rather go with the Denso iridium (IK20) which is Denso's "power spark plug" - that NGK laser iridium just looks like a standard long-life iridium.

So you feel a double platium plug is best for a performance application? If so, what about the Denso PK20TT or PK20TR?
Old 10-13-11, 10:52 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

I think I'm just going to go with the Denso IK20's and say the hell with it.
Old 10-13-11, 12:19 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

I recommend the IFR6T11 because it's the OEM plug LOL. It's a special design, specifically for that engine. Your engine will run best with it. If you're making 100-130hp over stock, that's when you need to go with a colder plug.

Yes iridiums will not gain you power, they will just last longer.

Both Denso and NGK plugs are fine, but stay away from Champion, Autolite, etc. Toyota uses both NGK and Denso in stock applications. On some of the V6 trucks they used NGK plugs on one side, Denso on the other...FROM THE FACTORY. The V8 GS's came with either Denso SK20R11 or NGK IFR6T11 out of the factory. Doesn't matter which one you choose, they will both perform the same.

I recommend going with the OEM plug in all applications. Every 130hp more over stock, go one heat range colder. I'm running a stock Aristo plug (BKR6EKPB-11) in my GS that puts down 500whp without any issues. I'll be switching to an 8 heat range soon when I start cranking up the boost, probably run BKR8EIX's (since iridiums will last much longer than a copper or platinum) because I can't find a dual electrode plug in an 8 heat range.

Last edited by Bippu147; 10-13-11 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-13-11, 12:27 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

GS400 and 430's are coil on plug and not wasted spark. So you don't need a dual electrode

The VVTi 2J's on the other hand need the dual electrodes, or you sacrifice the life of the plug.
Old 10-13-11, 02:08 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

^ Gotcha...Yes, my particular oem plugs were the Denso SK20R11; I found them the other day in my basement as I never threw them out. So, I will keep the same Denso Iridium line but go with the IK series which is their "power series." Not sure if that will do anything but it's worth a shot and still "oem-ish."

I just ordered the Denso IK20's; I'll report back once I get them and install them.
Old 10-13-11, 10:28 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
I think I'm just going to go with the Denso IK20's and say the hell with it.
Just to save you some money, I already used the Denso IK20. They don't last as long as the Long Life and I bet you wont feel the difference. GL!
Old 10-14-11, 09:57 AM
epikeddie
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys....the "power series" from Denso is a single electrode design so yes....the life of the plug will be compromised on the 2JZ-GE which PREFERS this design. I've used Torque Master, Denso, and NGK.....and can't tell a difference between any of them.

Don't be like me and listen to the veterans on the site.....look at some of the posts above mine. Some guys are pushing 500whp and I think it'd be smart to listen to their advices than going out and experimenting by yourself.
Old 10-14-11, 06:06 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Well, I read that the IK20 power series plug works even better with mods (from various sources on the internet and from Desno Aftermarket reps on the telephone). If they don't last long, I am ok with it...I had (2) sets of TM plugs previously which I replaced each time at around 25-30K miles; and those were $12.50 per plug!

BTW, I got these Desno IK20's for $6.75 per plug with free shipping! I bought them on Advanced Auto Parts.com and got $20 off my order, free shipping AND I get a $50 coupon on my next purchase; I only needed to spend $100 bucks to get all this. I remembered my friend needed spark plugs for his '06 Maxima so I threw his on the order as well. Total = $113 less ($20) = $93 + tax. So, all in all yeah, it cost me about $6.75 per plug where most sites on the internet ranged from $8 - $10 per plug! For the price that I got them for I'll try 'em out. Hey, anything new is better than what I have in there now.

Lastly, if some don't know, these particular plugs not only have an iridum tip (with 90% purity) but also has a copper base for greater condinuity and performance; not every iridium plug has a copper base. I hope at the least the car runs smooth, with an increase in gase mileage. I will report back. I should get the plugs sometime next week. I'll probably be replacing these again anyway before their time is up when I install my SC; I will needed a colder plug for the FI.

Thanks for all the advice guys.
Old 10-19-11, 09:28 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GS400 - Denso (3297) SK20R11 Iridium Spark Plug
Old 10-19-11, 04:27 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ChrisK
GS400 - Denso (3297) SK20R11 Iridium Spark Plug
Yup, those were my original plugs, I still have them...sitting in my basement. I removed them around 80k...currently have close to 130k now.

I'll let you guys know how the car drives with the new plugs when I install them this weekend.
Old 10-19-11, 04:42 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

it's going to drive like it did with your stock plugs lol.

Quick Reply: Hard time choosing spark plugs