Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Here's the deal

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-11, 12:58 PM
ajlexus11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Here's the deal

So need some help from the veterans on CL....I am getting a exhaust installed in NYC and needed your opinions....I was considering doing a 3" straight pipe loop exhaust w/ x pipe (so not really straight lol)with magna flow cans, PPE Headers, and HFC's w/ resonators but apparently doing all that I'm screwed for passing emmision next year....are there any HFC's that will pass the SMOG test? another option is 2.75" straight pipe w/ x pipe and headers and HFC's and loop exhaust w/ resonators..or i can just do 2.75" straight pipe w/ x pipe w/ resonators and call it a day....i was wondering if I go with this last option will the pipes be big enough for the addition of PPE headers and HFC's in the future? the FINAL option is Invidia Exhaust....ive heard it and it isnt that loud....price is 1k...

Another thing....AND YES IVE SEARCHED THE FORUMS but havent really gotten a clear cut answer...some ppl say the ECU can be remapped and some say it cant...what is the best piggyback route for a near future SC install???i hear HKS (NOT THE MEMBER) HAS A 2k piggyback system...any good? what do you recommend? idk if i understood this one post correctly but the compression ratio is supposed to be lower to run a SC?

i want this installation b4 december ....so u can say im rushing....i heard the suruga exhaust and i wanted to go that route..again header and HFC issues...thanks guys/gals
Old 10-13-11, 01:20 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ajlexus11
So need some help from the veterans on CL....I am getting a exhaust installed in NYC and needed your opinions....I was considering doing a 3" straight pipe loop exhaust w/ x pipe (so not really straight lol)with magna flow cans, PPE Headers, and HFC's w/ resonators but apparently doing all that I'm screwed for passing emmision next year....are there any HFC's that will pass the SMOG test? another option is 2.75" straight pipe w/ x pipe and headers and HFC's and loop exhaust w/ resonators..or i can just do 2.75" straight pipe w/ x pipe w/ resonators and call it a day....i was wondering if I go with this last option will the pipes be big enough for the addition of PPE headers and HFC's in the future? the FINAL option is Invidia Exhaust....ive heard it and it isnt that loud....price is 1k...

Another thing....AND YES IVE SEARCHED THE FORUMS but havent really gotten a clear cut answer...some ppl say the ECU can be remapped and some say it cant...what is the best piggyback route for a near future SC install???i hear HKS (NOT THE MEMBER) HAS A 2k piggyback system...any good? what do you recommend? idk if i understood this one post correctly but the compression ratio is supposed to be lower to run a SC?

i want this installation b4 december ....so u can say im rushing....i heard the suruga exhaust and i wanted to go that route..again header and HFC issues...thanks guys/gals
In reverse order-

You can NOT remap the ECU. It's untouchable.

There are two piggyback systems folks are currently just starting to play with:

The MAPECU3- it can do some stuff with fuel and timing, not sure what else on the 2IS. The cost was $1350 and added about 10-14 hp on an NA application supposedly. That $1350 included install with the guy figuring out the wiring... so might be cheaper for the next guy.

The HKS F-con IS- HKS350 is using it with his HKS supercharger- can do timing and fuel as well as some transmission stuff... runs around $1400 without install or programming

You're limited to probably 7.5 or so psi of boost if you don't touch compression ratio... and nobody has any way to lower it currently (there's been a lot of discussion on custom parts to address this, but I'm not aware of anyone actually doing it).

As to emissions- If you touch the stock cats, that's illegal in all 50 US states. Period.

That said, beyond that it'll depend on how they inspect where you are.

If it's just hook to OBD2 port then the O2 sims with the headers will get you by just fine, no cats needed.

if it's hook to OBD2 and visually check then it gets really tricky:

You might get away with replacing front cats with HFCs and removing the back 2 cats entirely if the inspector doesn't know how many there should be

Or you might get a guy who knows how many you should have and how to tell if they are OEM or not... in which case you're screwed for doing anything at all except an axle-back exhaust.

or anywhere in between.
Old 10-13-11, 07:31 PM
ajlexus11
Driver School Candidate

all that power and no where to put it
Old 10-13-11, 10:06 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a 3 inch exhaust is WAAAAAAAAAAAY too big.

way too big. 2.5 is too big. 2.25 is still more than your can flow. and 2 inch true dual would probably flow just a teency bit more than whats possible naturally aspirated

dont do 3 inch or 2.75, way to much.

Last edited by 06isDriver; 10-14-11 at 06:01 AM.
Old 10-14-11, 08:43 AM
PetesSweet
Pole Position

3" exhaust? someone is overcompensating... ( )==>
Old 10-14-11, 08:20 PM
ajlexus11
Driver School Candidate

I went to vinny ten and they were quoting me on a 3" rear section...am just worried about a ton of rasp....want that v8 sound but dont wanna pay over 3G's ....okay thanks all....just looked into tanabe exhaust and a invidia midpipe...
Old 10-15-11, 01:51 AM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok why spend all that money and not make huge gains. seriously imo with what your going to spend. get ppe headers(tried and tuned maybe fixed haha), custom/invidia/megan midpipes, and exhaust of your choice(whether bought or made). i.e fsport(my first choice),etc. Your not gonna get the sound of an isf/v8 no matter what unless you buy one. So I say...think about all your options and get what you want after tax season after all the gifts you buy for Christmas and the thanksgiving dinners you show up to. lol at least me. Unless they crack the ecu im not gonna spend huge money on an exhaust to make it sound like a v8/pass emsissions. Hey Im just ranting. Sorry Mods..... I know Im bless at least to have a nice Lexus.

Last edited by 509IS350; 10-15-11 at 02:15 AM.
Old 10-15-11, 09:01 AM
four o two
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, you're nowhere close to needing 3" pipes on a 3.5L. My old 7.4L Chevelle had 3" duals, and I still think that was a little much. LOL...