Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2JZ converion on GS anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-02, 06:34 AM
Choritsu-shi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
anyone knows the specifics of engine swap laws? Especially in CA? What are the rules for engine swaps? I only heard that the engine needs to be newer than the car
Those are good questions...I've heard the same. You would think with todays issues over smog it would be very difficult, especially from what we've heard. Yet, why is it today that there are more and more aftermarket items and forced induction kits available and legal?
This is what we got when we asked www.smogtips.com a similar question to yours...
The engine I want is only in japanese cars in japan, it is not an engine in america. I look on the internet and every webpage I found so far said it wont be legal. I know a professional japanese tuner (Nomura Tuning and Design)and he says it is possible if you do a clean job. Is this true? The engine I am looking at is a SR20DET from Nissan.
Thanks,
Steve

As far as I know any any engine change is legal, as long as it has all California required emission components. This is how people are able to build kit cars. They build the car, install the engine and all the emission components for that particular engine (or emission components which may work on that engine) and then they get a Referee inspection. If all goes well and the referee sees that the required emission components are there AND the car PASSES the smog inspection, a BAR label is issued making the car California/Street legal. I recommend you contact the State Referee before beginning any work.

Alec- SmogTips Evaluations

Last edited by Choritsu-shi; 10-18-02 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-19-02, 11:32 AM
Guru
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm lucky, here in Michigan we can register just about anything as long as we pay the yearly fee. No smog, no inspection, no regulations on engine swaps, nothing.
Old 10-19-02, 03:07 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was gonna do it.. honest iwas! then i did an SR instead...

you need a new driveshaft (if you do the 6speed, why have a GTE without a 6speed???), engine mountsi think you could retain stock (if you have s300), ecu of course... wiring is the main problem.. not sure how to integrate cruise control and A/C and the such.. but with enough work i can be done.

the transmission well needs to be opened up most likely for hte larger trans, and maybe a bigger trans crossmember.

custom downpipe, radiator hoses, and a supra wiring harness...

that should be enough to get started there will be peices here and there but for the most part i think thats it...

v300, i like that you disabled VVT-i hehehe
Old 10-20-02, 09:44 AM
Guru
Lead Lap

What I'll probably encounter later is the 6 speed swap dilema with the wiring. I'll have to see if the harness is different on the JZ161 and the Supra which I'm sure it is. Then I'll have to figure out which ECU to use because of the VVTi. I may have to source a 6 speed VVTi Supra ECU later on. I don't think the transmission tunnel needs to be opened on the GS though. The mounts should come with the clip as well as the crossmember although that may need to be altered for left hand drive anyway.
Old 10-22-02, 02:32 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if I'm doin the GTE swap I would wanna use an Aristo V300 clip with the 4-speed auto and the ECU. Just to save some of the hassle (and I love turbo cars on auto tranny)
Old 10-24-02, 02:28 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Ray;

Let me know if you do.