Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Second generation IS250 AWD headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-11, 10:11 AM
funglenn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I get back to Colorado, i have GOT to see them for myself! My one concern is how much HP gain do we get from this system? Also is it worth doing with a stock exhaust?

If I could do an exhaust or headers, what is a better option?

Thanks
Old 11-11-11, 10:39 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by funglenn
When I get back to Colorado, i have GOT to see them for myself! My one concern is how much HP gain do we get from this system? Also is it worth doing with a stock exhaust?

Thanks
Nobody knows the answer to these questions yet since the item isn't done and tested yet.

I do know the one set of AWD headers that Mazzuri made and someone tested showed gains that, while they were decent gains for a 250, were significantly less than the RWD version of the headers gave on the 250.

The PPE results may or may not be better, or worse, or the same. We'll know when they're done.

In GENERAL though I'd expect gains from any good set of headers to be greater than from an axle-back exhaust system.

On RWD models the PPE headers give anywhere from 12-19 depending whose dyno you believe... axle-back exhausts are more like 7... full exhausts (which also don't currently exist for AWD) tend to be around 10.
Old 11-12-11, 03:54 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Nobody knows the answer to these questions yet since the item isn't done and tested yet.

I do know the one set of AWD headers that Mazzuri made and someone tested showed gains that, while they were decent gains for a 250, were significantly less than the RWD version of the headers gave on the 250.

The PPE results may or may not be better, or worse, or the same. We'll know when they're done.

In GENERAL though I'd expect gains from any good set of headers to be greater than from an axle-back exhaust system.

On RWD models the PPE headers give anywhere from 12-19 depending whose dyno you believe... axle-back exhausts are more like 7... full exhausts (which also don't currently exist for AWD) tend to be around 10.
I think at this point, I'm down for any sort of extra power
Old 11-12-11, 05:09 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kuuqi
I think at this point, I'm down for any sort of extra power
Well, as always, the best bang for the buck by far would be getting a 350 instead of a 250. >100 hp for about 4 grand.... versus headers, intake, and a full exhaust... which is going to be $2500-3000 and only add maybe 25-35 hp tops.
Old 11-13-11, 08:56 AM
Gaugster
Advanced

Thanks
As Kurtz stated, we won't know until the PPE headers are tested. For the Mazzuri's I can offer this, Mazzuri claimed significant gains with 2WD headers with otherwise stock exhaust. I installed AWD headers on my car with stock exhaust. Before and after dyno graphs showed no gains what so ever in the upper RPM range. I.e. 3200+. It is possible that power was made in the lower range but the 2WD was a manual whereas AWD are all automatic so no way to know.

Afterwards, I installed a Tanbe axleback and the rest is history. Gains are a few MPH and 0.5 to 1.0 sec in the 1/4 mile. A small power increase with a small weight reduction.
Old 11-13-11, 10:24 AM
funglenn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gaugster
As Kurtz stated, we won't know until the PPE headers are tested. For the Mazzuri's I can offer this, Mazzuri claimed significant gains with 2WD headers with otherwise stock exhaust. I installed AWD headers on my car with stock exhaust. Before and after dyno graphs showed no gains what so ever in the upper RPM range. I.e. 3200+. It is possible that power was made in the lower range but the 2WD was a manual whereas AWD are all automatic so no way to know.

Afterwards, I installed a Tanbe axleback and the rest is history. Gains are a few MPH and 0.5 to 1.0 sec in the 1/4 mile. A small power increase with a small weight reduction.
I thought there were no Mazzuri AWD headers, and that PPE's development of headers for the AWD were the first of their kind....
Old 11-13-11, 08:21 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

I thought there were no Mazzuri AWD headers, and that PPE's development of headers for the AWD were the first of their kind....
Mazzuri made one or two prototype sets before he went out of business... gains were not significant enough for him to have gone ahead with a production version.

Gaugster was lucky enough to get one of the only sets (and I'm not even positive there was a second set)
Old 11-14-11, 07:17 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

- There were 2 or 3 sets and AWD Mazzuri headers made. I think mine were the only ones that were actually made my Mazzuri. Others purchased 2WD and a third party modified to fit. I could be wrong but yeah, I am greatful and luck to have 55k miles on those pipes.
Old 11-17-11, 01:32 PM
funglenn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Mazzuri made one or two prototype sets before he went out of business... gains were not significant enough for him to have gone ahead with a production version.

Gaugster was lucky enough to get one of the only sets (and I'm not even positive there was a second set)
Makes me wonder if PPE will have the same issue--800 bucks is too much to shell out for 5-8HP or something very low if they cannot match performance of 2WD versions.

Thanks for the info--was not trying to call anyone out, just curious if I had bad info on header options.