Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Performance advice for new IS owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-11, 08:45 PM
Jaymugg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance advice for new IS owner

Hey, I'm a noob on this site... so go easy on me! LOL : Just bought my first Lexus a week ago and I'm eager to get some mods done on it. Got a 2012 IS350 with the F-Sport package. Was thinking of starting with the motor, throwing some headers, intake and exhaust on it. Problem is all I can fond online is the PPE headers but I still need it to pass smog. Any other companies out there making headers for the IS? I hear Megan Racing makes some for the 250 that they say will fit the 350 as well but that seems strange to me since the motors are two different sizes. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-27-11, 08:54 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 610 Likes on 405 Posts

The exhaust manifolds/headers will fit on an IS250 or 350 (they're the same from the factory on some years).

I won't comment about the benefits/downsides, I'm just making a comment about them fitting.

Jeff
Old 10-27-11, 08:55 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to burst your bubble... there is not much "performance" mod you can do for an IS. We're limited to intake, header, mid-pipe, and exhaust.

As for header, both megan and ppe will not pass smog. Unless the manufacturer has CARB certification, you are SOL. That's one of the reason why I stuck with F-Sport Intake... they have CARB certification. That's pretty much the same hassle when you install mid-pipe since it deletes the secondary cats which becomes smog illegal.

If you really want header that bad, then install them. You can always swap them back to stock when it's smog time.
Old 10-27-11, 09:00 PM
Jaymugg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shadowman
Sorry to burst your bubble... there is not much "performance" mod you can do for an IS. We're limited to intake, header, mid-pipe, and exhaust.

As for header, both megan and ppe will not pass smog. Unless the manufacturer has CARB certification, you are SOL. That's one of the reason why I stuck with F-Sport Intake... they have CARB certification. That's pretty much the same hassle when you install mid-pipe since it deletes the secondary cats which becomes smog illegal.

If you really want header that bad, then install them. You can always swap them back to stock when it's smog time.
That's a good call...I can always just take it off. Dunno if I wanna deal with all that drama though, guess we'll see what's up. I see you have the Tanabe medalion exhaust, that's the same one I was thinking of putting on mine. How do you like it?
Old 10-27-11, 09:07 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

I love my Tanabe... with exhaust, it basically boils down to preference of sound. As long as you don't modify them to exceed the sound limit, they are street legal. You should have no problems with smog since the cats are untouched.

Tanabe has a nice deep rumble without being too loud. It's loud when I want it to be. There isn't any annoying drone sound. It's the next thing up from stock in terms of sound... without spending too much cash.

Hang around the meets sometime and get a chance to hear all the different flavors. Or you can check out the performance section and listen to the sample clips to get an idea. It's only used as reference becuz it'll sound different in person.
Old 10-27-11, 09:14 PM
Jaymugg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shadowman
I love my Tanabe... with exhaust, it basically boils down to preference of sound. As long as you don't modify them to exceed the sound limit, they are street legal. You should have no problems with smog since the cats are untouched.

Tanabe has a nice deep rumble without being too loud. It's loud when I want it to be. There isn't any annoying drone sound. It's the next thing up from stock in terms of sound... without spending too much cash.

Hang around the meets sometime and get a chance to hear all the different flavors. Or you can check out the performance section and listen to the sample clips to get an idea. It's only used as reference becuz it'll sound different in person.
That's a good idea man, I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the tips and the scoop on that Tanabe, got any goods on their drop springs? Was thinking of throwing the NF210's on. Don't want too crazy of a drop, plus i'm planning on throwing some 19" SSR SP1's on and I don't want rubbing issues.
Old 10-28-11, 01:17 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymugg
...I hear Megan Racing makes some for the 250 that they say will fit the 350 as well but that seems strange to me since the motors are two different sizes....
the blocks are the same, its the bore/stroke that make the motors different therefore the same header with fit both cars.
Old 10-28-11, 03:38 AM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

I wonder if the Megan headers really will add power. I've never seen a dyno for them. As for being smog legal, I wouldn't worry about it. When it's time for me to get a smog check, I'm going to take it to a shop and pay extra to pass me
Old 10-28-11, 06:30 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah a little grease on the palm always works for me......
Old 10-28-11, 07:05 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It always amazes me how folks are willing to take 50 bucks to risk a $25,000 fine and losing their license to inspect cars.

Anyway, the megans will physically fit a 350, but as others have noted, I can't imagine one would be happy with the results.... and any headers will fail emissions in all 50 states as they remove the stock front cats. (not that all 50 states will actually look, but it's still illegal).

Legal mods (in CA) are limited to the F-sport intake and any of the axle-back exhausts... so roughly a 12 hp gain total.

Even if you don't care about legal though, this is the wrong car to try and mod for much power.
Old 10-28-11, 01:33 PM
PetesSweet
Pole Position

Hey, I'm a noob on this site... so go easy on me! LOL : Just bought my first Lexus a week ago and I'm eager to get some mods done on it. Got a 2012 IS350 with the F-Sport package. Was thinking of starting with the motor, throwing some headers, intake and exhaust on it. Problem is all I can fond online is the PPE headers but I still need it to pass smog. Any other companies out there making headers for the IS? I hear Megan Racing makes some for the 250 that they say will fit the 350 as well but that seems strange to me since the motors are two different sizes. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated!
just don't do anything to void that warrenty :P
Old 10-28-11, 03:01 PM
Jaymugg
Driver School Candidate

Seems like headers will be drama to deal with on this car...maybe i'll just shine 'em, throw a intake and exhaust it and be done. Thanks for all the imput though!
Old 10-31-11, 04:21 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Seems like headers will be drama to deal with on this car...maybe i'll just shine 'em, throw a intake and exhaust it and be done. Thanks for all the imput though!
That's a good idea. They're a pain to install cause it's tight in there. Probably not worth it.