Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

F Sport questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-11, 09:14 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dorkacho
I see, thanks. I was just not sure because the couple hundred bucks that dealers charge for installation might be worth it since I have 8 yr extended warranty. But if these don't break then I guess that won't be necessary.
Yeah...for something like springs/shocks I might be a little more inclined to want the warranty (but only a little, based on how much I've seen folks quote dealers charging for install on those)... but intake/exhaust are just pipes with no moving parts, not even close to worth paying a few hundred bucks for "more warranty" on given there's nothing to really go bad on either.
Old 11-02-11, 12:27 PM
ronricorum
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any diys for exhaust install?

i've done intakes and i love suspension so i know about those. =]
Old 11-02-11, 08:54 PM
ISNIK0802
Driver School Candidate

Would you guys think the Cold Air Intake from injen would be better than the F-sport intake?

I also have a vision to do only F-sport performance car and deck out the interior with F-sport logos

Any advice would be great!
Old 11-02-11, 09:41 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dorkacho
I have a 350 and I'm from Southern CA .. maybe I overlooked something ..

I dunno if I should get intake .. might be too loud for me but does sound nice !
The F-sport intake has an extra hole cut into the lower airbox that generates the extra noise. You can get the F-sport intake tube and coupler hardware without getting the lower intake box and still achieve the same performance improvements (and save ~ $150.) Or get a Joe-Z intake and save even more (~$125 total.)

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2006/1853.html - F-Sport intake

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=2804 - Joe Z intake
Old 11-03-11, 06:31 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ISNIK0802
Would you guys think the Cold Air Intake from injen would be better than the F-sport intake?
Better? No.

Louder? Probably.
Old 11-16-11, 05:24 AM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm if you drop on H&R, would it be better to get the f sport shocks too? I heard springs wear out oem shocks or something ..
Old 11-16-11, 06:44 AM
MikeZ103
Rookie

I wouldn't be worried about the warranty on the individual items (intake & exhaust), I would be more concerned with the installation of said items and how they could affect my car. For example, if you had a shop completely butcher the installation of an exhaust, the worst thing that could result is a louder sound and loss of back pressure. The intake, on the other hand, if installed incorrectly could have huge ramifications for your car, as it handles all the air going in to the engine. Bottom line, if you want peace of mind, have the intake installed by the dealer, but you could have a shop install the exhaust.
Old 11-16-11, 07:51 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MikeZ103
I wouldn't be worried about the warranty on the individual items (intake & exhaust), I would be more concerned with the installation of said items and how they could affect my car. For example, if you had a shop completely butcher the installation of an exhaust, the worst thing that could result is a louder sound and loss of back pressure. The intake, on the other hand, if installed incorrectly could have huge ramifications for your car, as it handles all the air going in to the engine. Bottom line, if you want peace of mind, have the intake installed by the dealer, but you could have a shop install the exhaust.
I don't think you understand how simple and basic these parts are.

Unless the person doing the install is illiterate it's virtually impossible to cause a serious problem by "installing it wrong" with either of them.
Old 11-16-11, 08:57 AM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Am I right to say that the intake sound and effect does not come into play until you hit 3k rpm ? If so, is it still worth getting?

Also, would it be a good idea to upgrade our shocks to F sport if we drop on H&R springs?

Thanks

Last edited by dorkacho; 11-16-11 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-16-11, 09:44 AM
MikeZ103
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I don't think you understand how simple and basic these parts are.

Unless the person doing the install is illiterate it's virtually impossible to cause a serious problem by "installing it wrong" with either of them.
No, I understand the basic nature of both parts. My suggestion was based on a worst case scenario - more could go wrong with an an intake not being installed properly versus an exhaust. Once you leave the confines of a dealership, one can never assume anything - especially because recourse is far more limited.
Old 11-16-11, 10:34 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

No, I understand the basic nature of both parts. My suggestion was based on a worst case scenario - more could go wrong with an an intake not being installed properly versus an exhaust. Once you leave the confines of a dealership, one can never assume anything - especially because recourse is far more limited.

Yeah... not really seeing it...

A local shop is still a business, so they still have a legal responsibility to fix anything they damage... and the opportunity to damage anything is still very very limited in installing an intake. It's really tough to screw it up if you've ever worked on a car before (which presumably someone working in a shop has)

Heck, take the lower airbox out of the equation (which while time consuming isn't really mechanical at all, which is why I usually recommend the Joe Z intake over the F-sport) and the intake takes even less time to install than the exhaust... and the exhaust only takes 15 minutes with ramps and a couple wrenches... less with a real shop.

Even with folks just doing their own installs in their driveways the worst "problem" I've ever seen from an F-sport intake install was "forgot to plug the MAF back in" which is fixed in literally 30 seconds, for free.
Old 11-16-11, 11:37 AM
MikeZ103
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Yeah... not really seeing it...

A local shop is still a business, so they still have a legal responsibility to fix anything they damage... and the opportunity to damage anything is still very very limited in installing an intake. It's really tough to screw it up if you've ever worked on a car before (which presumably someone working in a shop has)

Heck, take the lower airbox out of the equation (which while time consuming isn't really mechanical at all, which is why I usually recommend the Joe Z intake over the F-sport) and the intake takes even less time to install than the exhaust... and the exhaust only takes 15 minutes with ramps and a couple wrenches... less with a real shop.

Even with folks just doing their own installs in their driveways the worst "problem" I've ever seen from an F-sport intake install was "forgot to plug the MAF back in" which is fixed in literally 30 seconds, for free.
Sorry to say, local shops don't have an obligation to do anything. They provide a service - yes - but should anything go wrong, depending on damages, one would have to take them to small claims court. Most times, local shops are incorporated so their liability is limited to the business and not the owner. Hypothetically speaking, the owner could close his doors and set up shop under a different name - happens all the time. Dealerships have far more more to lose, as they tend to open on the premise of being a long term fixture in their business communities, so getting things right is a bit more important.

Don't get me wrong, an intake install is simple and so is an exhaust. However, hypothetically speaking again, if an intake were to come loose from the throttle body, wouldn't that pose a risk to your car's performance and reliability? In that same vein, if an exhaust were to come loose, what's the worst that could happen? You would loose back pressure. That is my point!

And now back to our regularly scheduled program..........
Old 11-16-11, 12:55 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry to say, local shops don't have an obligation to do anything. They provide a service - yes - but should anything go wrong, depending on damages, one would have to take them to small claims court.

Uh...do you know why they'd be taken to court?

Because they do have an obligation to do something.

otherwise you'd have no case.

Most times, local shops are incorporated so their liability is limited to the business and not the owner. Hypothetically speaking, the owner could close his doors and set up shop under a different name - happens all the time.
You frequently see shops close down because they lost a small claims court case over an intake install?

By all means, please cite some for us.

Dealerships have far more more to lose, as they tend to open on the premise of being a long term fixture in their business communities, so getting things right is a bit more important.

Don't get me wrong, an intake install is simple and so is an exhaust. However, hypothetically speaking again, if an intake were to come loose from the throttle body, wouldn't that pose a risk to your car's performance and reliability? In that same vein, if an exhaust were to come loose, what's the worst that could happen? You would loose back pressure. That is my point!
Your point is wrong though.

Apart from the ridiculous suggestion the shop would close down rather than pay a small claims case your scenarios of possible issues are way wrong too.

If the intake came off the TB you'd get some unmetered air coming in, your dash would light up like a christmas tree with check engine and check VSC lights, and you'd likely pull over and take it to the shop again (or just look under your hood, since the issue would be obvious). Even if you kept driving it the engine would likely go into limp mode and run pig rich for safety...so you'd get bad mileage till you fixed it and not much else.

Folks have posted about exactly that happening in the past when they did their own install and didn't secure one of the silicone sleeves correctly.

No damage though.

On the other hand- if part of your exhaust fell off, it could shred your tire, or those of someone behind you, and cause a 10 car accident. Of course again that'd require a pretty damn incompetent shop, since they'd have to fail to both secure the hangars correctly and fail to bolt the pieces together correctly.

But anyway, please lemme know the names of all these shops going bankrupt over small claims cases for improperly installed intake! (a cite to the court case for each would be great too)

Last edited by Kurtz; 11-16-11 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-16-11, 06:35 PM
MikeZ103
Rookie

Dude, this could go on for days so let's just squash it. Let me take the high road by saying we'll agree to disagree.

Now back to the last relevant post - I think the car would look great with H&R springs; however, from what I have seen you might have a bit of gap in the front. Although, I'm sure some would choose to disagree with me.
Old 11-21-11, 06:42 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Does anyone know if F sport exhaust and intake would fit on any 2IS that is 06-11?

Quick Reply: F Sport questions