Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-11, 12:52 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by itruns
With the carbon problems with the current IS250 I would not recommend ever exceeding the recommended oil change interval. Hi mileage oil changes lead to more carbon build up (not the root cause of the IS250 problem)

Really?

What evidence do you have that the two are related in any way?

Because as far as I know, the problem is that the 250 (and most DI engines) don't have anything cleaning the intake valves.... whereas the 350 has fuel washing over those, since it also has port injection, hence why this problem doesn't happen on the 350. Oil change interval has nothing to do with that.

and even if it did not worsen the problem… Lexus would be within their rights to deny warranty repairs..
No, they wouldn't.

Lexus can't deny warranty repairs unless something you did caused the problem.

Oil is very cheap compared to an engine and the number 1 thing you can do to extend engine life ..

Again what evidence do you have of this?

because I have a number of 300,000 mile plus engines using long oil change intervals that suggest otherwise. Amsoil has records of many thousands of such engines doing the same.

It's not 1955 anymore, engines are pretty easy on oil mostly.

But that's why UOA is so great. It TELLS YOU if you need to change your oil more or less often.

And in the case of the 2IS every single UOA I've ever seen says that 5k oil changes are way to often and do nothing for you except waste money.

What evidence do you have otherwise?
Old 11-09-11, 04:23 PM
itruns
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Really?

What evidence do you have that the two are related in any way?

Because as far as I know, the problem is that the 250 (and most DI engines) don't have anything cleaning the intake valves.... whereas the 350 has fuel washing over those, since it also has port injection, hence why this problem doesn't happen on the 350. Oil change interval has nothing to do with that.

My understanding is more to the fact of the fuel cooling the backs of the valves so what ever oil is blown buack up the chamber does carbonize.... But that is a moot point as I mentioned above... oil change interval is not the root cause of the IS250 carbon problem

No, they wouldn't.

Lexus can't deny warranty repairs unless something you did caused the problem.

Sorry if you do not followed the REQUIRED maintence schedule... they do not have to prove it caused the problem, while they may warrenty anyway... they may not as well. And good luck trying to force the issue... Like I said oil is cheap..

Again what evidence do you have of this?

because I have a number of 300,000 mile plus engines using long oil change intervals that suggest otherwise. Amsoil has records of many thousands of such engines doing the same.

It's not 1955 anymore, engines are pretty easy on oil mostly.

But that's why UOA is so great. It TELLS YOU if you need to change your oil more or less often.

And in the case of the 2IS every single UOA I've ever seen says that 5k oil changes are way to often and do nothing for you except waste money.

What evidence do you have otherwise?
I'm not in court, and I'm not looking to argue here, but I have seen/repaired way to many coked up/ sludged up engines to risk it for the sake of a simple oil change... When Lexus switched to the 10k oil change interval on the 2011 IS250 using snyth. They still don't approve 10k services for the pre 2011's... Howmany 300k mile IS250's have you seen with ultralong oil change intervals?
Old 11-09-11, 04:25 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hoac
Yall convinced me!

They have been ordered and I am waiting for them to ship!~!

Now I just gotta figure out how to install the damn things ha

I would consider a shop but it would have to be quality work. Brand new lexus and I want in back in brand new lexus quality

Anyone know any good shops around Houston?
It's very possible to DIY but you need lots of preparation and tools to gain access to the manifold bolts etc... Took me about 9 hours which seems about twice as long as those that had professional installation. But I work for cheap.
Old 11-09-11, 08:53 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not in court, and I'm not looking to argue here, but I have seen/repaired way to many coked up/ sludged up engines to risk it for the sake of a simple oil change... When Lexus switched to the 10k oil change interval on the 2011 IS250 using snyth. They still don't approve 10k services for the pre 2011's... Howmany 300k mile IS250's have you seen with ultralong oil change intervals?
How many 300k mile 250s have you seen of any kind? The car isn't that old yet.

I've seen lots of OTHER cars with 300k miles and long OCIs though.

I've owned a couple of em too.

My wifes SC is nearing 200k miles with long OCIs BTW.

There's absolutely no reason a good synthetic would exhibit any of the problems you are suggesting from a longer OCI. That's what they're designed to run for.

Again- Amsoil will give you a free new engine if it happens to you with their 25k mile oil changes.

That doesn't generally happen though, because cars don't generally fail due to long, proper, OCIs.

The infamous toyota V6 sludge problem, which Toyota initially tried to blame on poor oil change schedules, they eventually got taken to court because of all the folks who could PROVE that wasn't true yet the problem still happened due to a problem with engine design...and Toyota eventually fixed em free.

I can't think of any real documented examples of engine failures from simply running proper long OCIs (ie not a case of running conventional oil for 40,000 miles or something)

Last edited by Kurtz; 11-09-11 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-15-11, 10:30 AM
dfoley092
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys quick question. Are the header specifically made for either 250 or 350? I've been racking my brain trying to get more horsepower out of my 08 350. I have an Injen intake, custom exhaust from headers to a Greddy axle back. Any suggestions?
Old 11-15-11, 10:55 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,365 Posts

^^^^Yes, they are engine specific:

http://www.ppeengineering.com/products/lexus/is250.php

http://www.ppeengineering.com/products/lexus/is350.php

Lou
Old 11-15-11, 01:52 PM
leek
Driver

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Those pages are exactly the same just replace 250 with 350. Images the same and the installation instructions are the same.

Does anyone know if there is an actual difference between PPE's IS250 and IS350 headers?
Old 11-15-11, 03:33 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,365 Posts

^^^^They are different. Why have two pages if they were the same? I have handled both of them and the difference is in the tubing size.

Lou
Old 11-15-11, 05:27 PM
Hoac
Pole Position

I will post the pics of mine for the 350 as soon as they get here. They will be done manufacturing them Tomorrow and should ship same day. They will probably be here next week so stay tuned =)
Old 11-18-11, 06:46 PM
NastyIS
Driver

I don't know this seller, but it caught my eye. "Slightly" used IS350 headers for $150. Just in case anyone is interested. http://columbia.craigslist.org/pts/2685653015.html
Old 11-19-11, 01:08 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by NastyIS
I don't know this seller, but it caught my eye. "Slightly" used IS350 headers for $150. Just in case anyone is interested. http://columbia.craigslist.org/pts/2685653015.html
at that price I'd be very surprised if they're not megans... which... I do not recommend...