Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-11, 07:33 AM
alee350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers

Trying to save up to get headers by christmas time which headers will give me the most power but wont burn my wallet??? Mazzuri, PPE, or jun-tw??? Thanks guys!
Old 11-07-11, 09:19 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by alee350
Trying to save up to get headers by christmas time which headers will give me the most power but wont burn my wallet??? Mazzuri, PPE, or jun-tw??? Thanks guys!
Mazzuri went out of business a couple of years ago

Jun-TW headers are designed for the 250 specifically, and last I checked were about 2-3 times more money than the PPE headers.

So in short, PPE is the only real game in town that makes any sense.
Old 11-07-11, 09:50 AM
alee350
Pole Position

O alright understandable haha thnxs
Old 11-07-11, 10:37 AM
JYOO
Pole Position

PPE only? How much HP and Torque gain at the wheels?
Old 11-07-11, 10:49 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JYOO
PPE only? How much HP and Torque gain at the wheels?
Depends whose dyno you believe... (and probably what other mods are on the car to an extent)... there haven't been a lot of dynos posted, but the #s I've seen range between 12 and 19 hp... so "around 15" is probably not a terrible estimate.
Old 11-07-11, 11:27 AM
JYOO
Pole Position

^^That is not bad, to add 15WHP on a is350. I had no idea, im going to go out on a limb tho and guess it costs close to 100 bucks per HP.
Old 11-07-11, 11:28 AM
funglenn
Lead Lap

I know Megan racing has some headers as well--pretty cheap on ebay, around 250 or less-- but NOT for the AWD--does anyone make them for the AWD?
Old 11-07-11, 11:29 AM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Find a used set!
Old 11-07-11, 12:02 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by funglenn
I know Megan racing has some headers as well--pretty cheap on ebay, around 250 or less-- but NOT for the AWD--does anyone make them for the AWD?
Nobody makes AWD headers...I wanna say PPE recently got a donor car to try and make some though, so maybe soon.

I've not really ever heard anything good about the megans either other than "they're cheap".... never seen any dynos showing gains at all, which is kinda weird given they've been around for years.

Regarding PPE costs- well, it's less than $100 per hp... closer to $50/hp I think if you can do all your own labor (but it's a 6-8 hour install from most stories I've seen)... note that since it removes the stock front cats it's also illegal in all 50 states- though obviously not all 50 states actually check.
Old 11-07-11, 06:12 PM
Hoac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
note that since it removes the stock front cats it's also illegal in all 50 states- though obviously not all 50 states actually check.
Sorry to thread jack but I was considering getting the PPE headers for my car for Xmas. It is a 2011 so I am alittle concerned about replacing them because the car is still under factory warranty.

Does anyone see any issue that the stealership could cause because i've dropped these bad boys in? Besides the oh its broken because you put an aftermarket piece on? Like maby refusing to check certian things during maintenance or the such?

This is my first time with a car worth doing mods on so i'm really unsure on how this all goes.
Old 11-07-11, 07:38 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ppe.......
Old 11-08-11, 07:07 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoac
Sorry to thread jack but I was considering getting the PPE headers for my car for Xmas. It is a 2011 so I am alittle concerned about replacing them because the car is still under factory warranty.

Does anyone see any issue that the stealership could cause because i've dropped these bad boys in? Besides the oh its broken because you put an aftermarket piece on? Like maby refusing to check certian things during maintenance or the such?

This is my first time with a car worth doing mods on so i'm really unsure on how this all goes.
Your only concerns would be:

Refusal of warranty repair for anything they can blame the headers for (things unrelated to the headers would remain covered of course)

It's illegal- so if your state has any sort of inspection for emissions, it'd fail

As to "checking" things- you shouldn't be paying them to do that anyway. Don't ever ask for the "x miles" service as they'll charge you 2-3x more and do no extra work.

Things your car actually needs as far as scheduled maintenance:

Every 5k miles: Oil change (see below on this)

Every 15k miles: Check engine and cabin filters- you can do these yourself in 5 minutes

Every 30k miles: Change those filters (again, 5 min to do yourself); Change brake fluid

Every 60k miles: Change spark plugs

Every 100k: Change coolant

That's it

Regarding the oil- 2011 250s are on a 10k change schedule now due to using synthetic.... most folks have found even with conventional every 5k is too often, these motors are easy on oil... so you can certainly go longer than 5k on it, and certainly longer than 10k on synthetic (though you'd probably wanna do a filter change at 6 months if you want to try running 15-25k miles a year on a good synthetic)
Old 11-08-11, 05:37 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

I've had my car at dealers for recalls etc... No problems with my headers but then again nothing out of the ordinary has happened either.

Kurtz is spot on about the warrenty concerns. I think service call for differential inspections too fwiw.
Old 11-08-11, 07:58 PM
Hoac
Pole Position

Yall convinced me!

They have been ordered and I am waiting for them to ship!~!

Now I just gotta figure out how to install the damn things ha

I would consider a shop but it would have to be quality work. Brand new lexus and I want in back in brand new lexus quality

Anyone know any good shops around Houston?
Old 11-09-11, 10:02 AM
itruns
Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Your only concerns would be:

Things your car actually needs as far as scheduled maintenance:

Every 5k miles: Oil change (see below on this)

Regarding the oil- 2011 250s are on a 10k change schedule now due to using synthetic.... most folks have found even with conventional every 5k is too often, these motors are easy on oil... so you can certainly go longer than 5k on it, and certainly longer than 10k on synthetic (though you'd probably wanna do a filter change at 6 months if you want to try running 15-25k miles a year on a good synthetic)
With the carbon problems with the current IS250 I would not recommend ever exceeding the recommended oil change interval. Hi mileage oil changes lead to more carbon build up (not the root cause of the IS250 problem) and even if it did not worsen the problem… Lexus would be within their rights to deny warranty repairs.. Oil is very cheap compared to an engine and the number 1 thing you can do to extend engine life ..

Quick Reply: Headers