Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tunning a turbo gs300

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-11, 03:50 AM
1bigsingle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tunning a turbo gs300

Just bought a 2002 gs300 so I'm new to the forums.

I'm currently trying to decide if I want to do a full gte swap or na-t the car.
My main question is how similar is the is300 harness to my gs300 harness. I was wondering if I could use the dezoid pnp aem unit in my gs300 or if the harness is specific to the is300. If not what standalone can I use that I can tune myself. Sorry for the newbie questions but I'm new to the vvti world.
Old 11-27-11, 03:35 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Seems like something you might want too take to a shop. Have you ever tuned before? It's a hell of a way to learn on a new engine though lol. But seriously, if you haven't tuned or done any serious wiring, I wouldn't attempt it unless u have someone experienced helping.
Old 11-27-11, 10:45 PM
1bigsingle
Driver School Candidate

So far I've tuned on dsm link, messed around with megasquirt on my turbo mustang and had aem and hydra ems on my mr2 but did nothing major with either of them. From what I was looking at dezod makes a pnp harness for the 01-05 is300 but I don't want to drop $1700 on a ems thats not pnp or at least close. I have a fear of piggybacks since me experiences with my mr2. I'm willing to give aem fic a shot but I don't think that's going to do well on e85. What options besides the evo aem box are their? Any pnp options? Or any ems that arnt crazy expensive that will work? What do high hp vvti guys use?
Old 11-29-11, 09:29 PM
djspock303
Driver

I have a 2002 Lexus IS300 and currently run the F/IC however I have looked into investing into a full standalone either by trial with the megasquirt, Haltech Package from Swiftracing, or he exact Dezod Unit your pondering there. You might call dezod and ask them about your harness question, i can tell you a couple of guys that swapped to GTE blocks ran that same kit from Dezod and it worked, not sure what was all involved however.
Old 11-30-11, 05:02 AM
TRBOSQRL
Rookie

i have a 2001 with a 2jgte vvti what computer is used on that swap
Old 11-30-11, 11:38 AM
epikeddie
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1bigsingle
So far I've tuned on dsm link, messed around with megasquirt on my turbo mustang and had aem and hydra ems on my mr2 but did nothing major with either of them. From what I was looking at dezod makes a pnp harness for the 01-05 is300 but I don't want to drop $1700 on a ems thats not pnp or at least close. I have a fear of piggybacks since me experiences with my mr2. I'm willing to give aem fic a shot but I don't think that's going to do well on e85. What options besides the evo aem box are their? Any pnp options? Or any ems that arnt crazy expensive that will work? What do high hp vvti guys use?
If you have experience with AEM EMS and Hydra, you should approach it the same way as you did before on setting a baseline and working up from there. I've used all of those including the Megasquirt on an ITB'd Miata as well as a Turbo Miata.

The trick to tuning is establishing what you're looking for, checking into what your items can perform at (think of looking into compressor maps), and finding what will work with your driving style and setup.

Also, E85 isn't going to fly with the AEM FI/C....you should be looking into other standalone options like Haltech and etc.
Old 12-01-11, 12:53 AM
1bigsingle
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses guys , i have no problem with tuning, its getting to the point where i can tune the car , i have easy acces to a dyno and have tuned before, its just every setup that ive installed has been a relatively easy install.

the only worry i have with the swift racing haltech and the dezod kit are that my gs3 is a 2002 and im not sure how similar the is300s are to that year gs, it seems like the earlier gs300's are almost the same as the is but later ones are different. i found a thread where someone asked that very same question to dezod and they said the kit was only tested in the is300, no testing was done for the gs. As for the gte block , are they running them in later model gs300's or earlier model ones and is it a full swap or just the shortblock?All this thinking about wiring is making me want to just put a lm7 or lq9 in it with a blower and be done lol.
Old 12-01-11, 05:54 AM
2jzlexusaz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1bigsingle
Thanks for the responses guys , i have no problem with tuning, its getting to the point where i can tune the car , i have easy acces to a dyno and have tuned before, its just every setup that ive installed has been a relatively easy install.

the only worry i have with the swift racing haltech and the dezod kit are that my gs3 is a 2002 and im not sure how similar the is300s are to that year gs, it seems like the earlier gs300's are almost the same as the is but later ones are different. i found a thread where someone asked that very same question to dezod and they said the kit was only tested in the is300, no testing was done for the gs. As for the gte block , are they running them in later model gs300's or earlier model ones and is it a full swap or just the shortblock?All this thinking about wiring is making me want to just put a lm7 or lq9 in it with a blower and be done lol.
you don't have to shop for is300 piggybacks or standalones because you'll have a supra motor with a supra wiring harness, which opens up your world of shopping. i believe the wiring harnesses between the two are almost identical except i think the lexus has an extra o2 and some other things i can't seem to remember
Old 12-01-11, 04:15 PM
TRBOSQRL
Rookie

from what i have been reading ,if you have a gte you can use a supra wire harness,what about a aristo motor
what harness can be used for a plug and play
Old 12-01-11, 05:02 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TRBOSQRL
from what i have been reading ,if you have a gte you can use a supra wire harness,what about a aristo motor
what harness can be used for a plug and play
97-05 JDM Aristo
98-00 USDM GS300 (and some early 01's)
01 USDM IS300
JDM GTE-VVTI Supra All available years

These all have the same 5 plug ecu hookup and any jumper harness for these applications are interchangeable.
Old 12-01-11, 05:34 PM
1100HP
Driver

Originally Posted by 2jzlexusaz
you don't have to shop for is300 piggybacks or standalones because you'll have a supra motor with a supra wiring harness, which opens up your world of shopping. i believe the wiring harnesses between the two are almost identical except i think the lexus has an extra o2 and some other things i can't seem to remember
I have the pinouts. I can check that for you.
Old 12-01-11, 09:58 PM
1bigsingle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2jzlexusaz
My car is a 2002 and im going na-t, from what ive read going with a vvti swap is much more complicated in this model then the 98-2001 years. The harness is different , This is why i was thinking the is300 dezod aem pnp kit would work. There are 2 different is300 kits, one is 2001 and the other is 2002 to 2005. Im thinking maybe the harness in the is300 after 2002 is the same or at least close to the gs300?

So far im stuck, dont want to buy anything unless im sure what route i wanna take, Seems like getting my hands on a 98-2001 would make things so much easier.
Old 12-03-11, 07:35 PM
TRBOSQRL
Rookie

i have a aristo swap and idk what year my motor is
Old 12-04-11, 08:31 AM
zmw
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're serious about going with E85, you need to be looking at proEFI as your EMS, it has full flexfuel support and can run anything from normal pump gas to full e100 and it automatically adjusts your map accordingly just like a stock flexfuel vehicle would.

They can make a plug and play harness for you as well. Obviously with all stand alone options you'd have to wire up some sensors along with the PNP harness, Fuel Pressure, Flex Fuel sensor, MAP sensor, and if it were me I'd also do oil pressure, oil temp, and AIT....
Old 12-08-11, 07:12 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Keep in mind the new AEM Inifity series of standalones. Some pretty cool stuff they're integrating into those units. I'm going to be installing one of those in my cars as soon as they release.

Quick Reply: Tunning a turbo gs300