Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

!!Looking for a Turbo ?!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-11, 01:27 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do what? + 10 char
Old 12-06-11, 02:15 AM
Sinaloense
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be watching this carefully haha keep us posted 06isDriver
Old 12-06-11, 08:01 PM
pattyp247
Driver School Candidate

Whatb about T3/T4 TURBO CHARGER form y car a universal one anyone had any run ins with this ?
Old 12-07-11, 09:59 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

you could use a t3/t4 with trims that might work, but I suspect you'll spool up super quick and run out of steam up top. It's best to determine the amount of power you'd like to see and then size the turbo accordingly.

Just grabbing any turbo could result in surging, which you never want.
Old 12-20-11, 11:20 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

How you guys doing with this? I've acquired quite a few boost parts over the years from my numerous endeavors... I'm going to play around with my IS350 over the winter and see what I can fab. up. I have piping at my disposal, extra bovs, wg, gauges, oil fittings, ss line, etc. My goal is 6-8psi on 11.8:1 compression ratio utilizing stock injectors and upgraded fuel pump with return setup and a rising rate FPR. We'll see how it goes as the difficult part is always engine management but simple solutions can yield successful results with our complex oem engine mgmt.
Old 12-20-11, 11:24 AM
JYOO
Pole Position

^^Thats what im talking about. Good luck.
Old 12-20-11, 11:40 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

My Dad would always tell me KISS - Keep it Simple Stupid.
I can remember waay back in the day when TurboEast made their stage 1 turbo kit for the 2jzge with the elusive "black box" for engine management. LOL Exciting stuff that just lead to bigger better and easier upgrades. I think a simple solution is in order for the IS350...it likely wont be cost effective for everyone but for someone that luvs their car and just wants more drivable power it will be worthwhile. blah blah I wont run my mouth but this is def. going to be a work in progress for the next 3 months for me....nothing that cant be undone if results dont prove successful.
Old 12-20-11, 11:45 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

if you've already got all those parts, your way more ahead of the curve than I am. I'm still leaning towards the rear mounted setup because it should be a relatively easy install.
I'll still be in uncharted territory with my MAPECU though, because it will be controlling all fuel and spark though-out the rpm range.

I had to have some dental work that came out of my turbo fund

so I gotta start over.

Last edited by 06isDriver; 12-20-11 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-20-11, 11:56 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
if you've already got all those parts, your way more ahead of the curve than I am. I'm still leaning towards the rear mounted setup because it should be a relatively easy install.
I'll still be in uncharted territory with my MAPECU though, because it will be controlling all fuel and spark though-out the rpm range.
Yeah, I'm far too accustomed to under hood setups as I've been dealing with them all my car A.D.D life.. The STS rear mount offers a convenient solution but my knowledge is rather limited when it comes to their specific offerings. Initial thought is that is a lot of piping to lose efficiency if you're going to utilize a FMIC. Def. pros and cons not matter which way you go...I'm intrigued by the rear mounted setups these days though. We'll see!

Is STS being consultative at all toward you or have you looked at other companies for rear mounts?
Old 12-20-11, 12:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,937 Likes on 2,386 Posts

Originally Posted by mikellucci
...My goal is 6-8psi on 11.8:1 compression ratio utilizing stock injectors and upgraded fuel pump with return setup and a rising rate FPR...
Sounds like you're not at all familiar with the fuel system in the 4GR. Good luck with this, you're going to need it.
Old 12-20-11, 12:54 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Sounds like you're not at all familiar with the fuel system in the 4GR. Good luck with this, you're going to need it.
Thats truth..I havent gotten that far with my literature yet. Was just scrounging around my garage and saw the good ole' Aeromotive rising rate FPR and tons of -8an (i think) ss braided line. Brings back good memories. LOL
Old 12-20-11, 01:10 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

My Dad would always tell me KISS - Keep it Simple Stupid.
If it was simple there's already be a bunch of successful kits floating around.

The fact there aren't any should tell you something.

By all means go ahead and experiment, but slapping a bunch of random old parts together is not going to work especially well on this car.

Like, I'd want to be standing back a good distance when you start it up not-especially-well.

Check the fuel pressure the direct injection system runs for example sometime.
Old 12-20-11, 01:17 PM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

Exactly what LPH does the factory pump flow?
Old 12-20-11, 01:28 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

From a marketing perspective it makes no sense for a retailer to manufacture and sell forced induction for this car. *There's a hundred threads around that and that's not what this one is about. *

I'm not looking at $ per HP but rather form and function. *These cars are getting cheap enough in the used market to toy around with. *I have access to enough tools and resources to perform some level of R&D rather then slap parts together.
Old 12-20-11, 04:42 PM
SatxIS350
Driver School Candidate

From a marketing perspective it makes no sense for a retailer to manufacture and sell forced induction for this car. *There's a hundred threads around that and that's not what this one is about. *

I'm not looking at $ per HP but rather form and function. *These cars are getting cheap enough in the used market to toy around with. *I have access to enough tools and resources to perform some level of R&D rather then slap parts together.
if i got paid a nickle for every time i heard that i'd be one rich **** by now...

Quick Reply: !!Looking for a Turbo ?!!