Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

!!Looking for a Turbo ?!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-11, 06:29 PM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rather not spend money on turbo for ISX50 because it dont gain so much HP.. I would save up money to buy ISF...
Old 12-20-11, 08:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,966 Likes on 2,402 Posts

Originally Posted by mikellucci
From a marketing perspective it makes no sense for a retailer to manufacture and sell forced induction for this car. *There's a hundred threads around that and that's not what this one is about. *

I'm not looking at $ per HP but rather form and function. *These cars are getting cheap enough in the used market to toy around with. *I have access to enough tools and resources to perform some level of R&D rather then slap parts together.
Ever work with direct injection before? Sounds like no. Your Aeromotive will stay wherever it is sitting because it's completely useless in this application. So is your idea of a return style fuel system. Any thoughts on where you're going to get larger DI injectors? Maybe a 2GR-FSE? That's the only place you'll find them. But then you'll need the fuel pump(s) from the 2GR-FSE too. And you'll need some piggyback magic to control it all because no one makes a standalone to control DI and VVTi. Or you could code it yourself maybe for an aftermarket unit? But then you'll need to teach it to talk CAN and BEAN to work with all the other systems in the car so your HVAC, gauges, stability controls, keyfob start control, etc, all still work.

There are many very expensive reasons why we haven't seen a successful boosted 2IS with only a very few exceptions (all one offs).
Old 12-20-11, 09:18 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

From a marketing perspective it makes no sense for a retailer to manufacture and sell forced induction for this car. *There's a hundred threads around that and that's not what this one is about. *

I'm not looking at $ per HP but rather form and function. *These cars are getting cheap enough in the used market to toy around with. *I have access to enough tools and resources to perform some level of R&D rather then slap parts together.
Some perspective if you're not understanding the responses here-

Every few months, for like 6 years now, someone wanders into the 2IS forums, insists they're "really familiar with forced induction" and is going to turbo their car.

Folks mention the long list of obstacles to this goal, the OP mostly dismisses or ignores em, says "Just you wait, it'll be up and running soon"

and then generally they're never heard from again (or in the case of one guy from TN on my.is, he mentions he blew the motor trying to boost to 8 psi, and then is never heard from again)

This happens over and over, every few months.

So when another person comes in and says it, you might understand it's met with some skepticism.

Even supercharger setups, a much simpler system than a turbo kit, has largely been variations on the old 5 psi LMS kit they quit making because the cost to power ratio was so awful, and even then you can count the # of cars with such a setup on one hand, and the number of folks who said they'd do better and didn't is a fair bit higher.

This includes folks with entire shops who insisted they had FI experts working on kits.

By all means give it a shot, but based on your ideas toward the project so far I'd at least strongly suggest you take a couple days when you have time to do a lot of reading, drop $15 bucks on a 2 day subscription to TIS, and look into the details of the engine you're talking about, because this is [B]not[B] a 2JZ, and 90s-era tuning isn't going to get you anywhere with it.

FWIW you can probably get 5-6 psi without extra fueling or tuning..... a couple of the supercharger guys have, though you're right on the border of the fuel system and stock tuning capacity there.... and I kinda doubt the gains will be worth the work involved in going turbo over SC, considering the SC guys don't need anything on the exhaust side and even their results are generally very underwhelming for the cost.

Last edited by Kurtz; 12-20-11 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-21-11, 07:21 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Its all good, I'm not going anywhere; its good to see RE as there really isnt much to talk about with regard to performance on this platform. Nice to see replies!

I'm at a crossroads with my IS350 as its not worth much to sell (in my eyes) being an 06 with 90k miles. Plus, I did financially foolish mods such as a full black interior swap (from tan) that I will never recoup costs from. I still enjoy the car and plan to keep it around just to see what I can figure out in the FI area. Win or lose it will be personally satisfying as this is a hobby of mine!
Old 03-07-12, 08:16 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Its all good, I'm not going anywhere; its good to see RE as there really isnt much to talk about with regard to performance on this platform. Nice to see replies!

I'm at a crossroads with my IS350 as its not worth much to sell (in my eyes) being an 06 with 90k miles. Plus, I did financially foolish mods such as a full black interior swap (from tan) that I will never recoup costs from. I still enjoy the car and plan to keep it around just to see what I can figure out in the FI area. Win or lose it will be personally satisfying as this is a hobby of mine!

Derailed in a positive way! I've successfully brought my is350 up on 7lbs of boost utilizing a S/C. I sort of reinvented the wheel by utilizing design from LMS but this is def. NOT a copy kit. I started with a trashed C2 Procharger that leaked like a sleeve and sounded like loose rocks were inside. Upgraded/replaced every bearing, seal and even a flange that called for overhaul; the gear shafts even got a makeover. ((I'll be posting a DIY on this later once I get organized.))

But anyway, I havent abandoned a rear turbo setup but it is def. on hold until after summer while I enjoy my car. I'm going to start a thread with lots of pics and info. on the S/C setup from start to finish (including meth setup). Its not ground breaking but it might be insightful to share as I am 100% DIY. I have also duplicated the "kit" and have resources to fabricate integral parts such as mounting bracket, crank pulley and various piping/flanges. Fun stuff; the car just got a whole lot more enjoyable at a price thats easily justifiable!
Old 03-07-12, 10:26 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what was the total cost?
Old 03-07-12, 10:33 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
what was the total cost?
A lot since I used ceramic bearings, had custom cnc machine work done, a treadstone intercooler, the list goes on.

HOWEVER, I can reproduce a "kit" with lesser bells and whistles for probably $3k at 5.5PSI. Of course that would be with a rebuilt procharger unit as I cant seem to find brand new units for less then $2k. I'll also argue that I'd rather have a rebuilt unit as some of the koyo, fafnir and *** bearings I pulled out of the two units I have were total GARBAGE. I use only ABEC-7 steel bearings as a lesser option to full ceramic or hybrids.
Old 03-07-12, 10:34 AM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 119 Likes on 45 Posts

Just wanted to throw this out there. Everyone who had a S/C on this board never provided Dyno sheet. Only Doug did years back w/ his modified LMS kit that Factually got 50+ WHP.

Everyone else simply deflected the question if you check the threads.....
Old 03-07-12, 10:44 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Originally Posted by JoshIS408
Just wanted to throw this out there. Everyone who had a S/C on this board never provided Dyno sheet. Only Doug did years back w/ his modified LMS kit that Factually got 50+ WHP.

Yeah, good info. is tough to find. I think most people just didnt care...As I really dont since I wanted to keep my car and make it 'faster.' I'm a bit less concerned in bang for the buck or I would have just NOS'd it. I'll share everything I've done when I start my thread. I wont dyno until spring is really here when I'm driving the car more consistantly. Dont worry, Mustang Dynameter corporate headquarters is 30miles from me...they have plenty of dynos setup.
Old 03-07-12, 10:52 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshIS408

Probably because they didn't want to get into a "yeah, I paid $6000 for 50 hp" debate...

That said, HKS350 did show trap speeds at least suggesting his gains (which were more than 50, but then his kit retail is more than 6k too, especially with tuning)... haven't seen a final dyno though.

To mikellucci- looking forward to your SC thread... I think if you could actually sell a +50 hp SC kit for 3k you'd get a decent amount of interest in it.

It was at 2x that price that LMS couldn't sell enough to bother with it... (even moreso when the F came out and offered 108 hp and a better transmission for around 10k)... but 3k is probably cheap enough... especially given some folks have spent close to that on intake/exhaust/headers to gain about half as much.

You'd probably get even more interest from the 250 guys, since it'd be the first kit that's actually cheaper than just trading in for a 350.... (albeit at half the gains). Watch out though- I know when Pepos adapted the LMS kit for his 250 in Greece he found it ran super super lean until he got a MAPECU3 on there to correct it, which probably puts the pricing back into "might as well get a 350" territory for folks in the US.
Old 03-07-12, 11:02 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Yeah, to each his own. I spent more money then I wanted to but I'm a bit meticulous and couldnt help it....$6k for 50whp issss...well.... meh. LOL

I talked to Elias a few times regarding his setup and the cars ECU behavior at 7psi. I believe he sorted his issues out but I'm not quite sure it was with a map ecu? I strugged quite a bit trying to raise the boost on the 350 using a smaller pulley. The belt kept slipping and boost would just not go past 5.5psi. I "think" I have it figure out with a combination of sorts including different Dayco pulleys. I'll be confirming over the next few weeks.

The 250 has potential as it luvs 7lbs but as you said gets very very aggressive. I think a little investigation would go a long way in making the IS250 more fun without breaking the bank$.
Old 03-07-12, 11:30 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Elias is using mapecu. He had to add additional components from MAPECU to enable both open and closed loop tuning.
I talked to him before I got it running on my NA setup
Old 03-07-12, 12:14 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 119 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Probably because they didn't want to get into a "yeah, I paid $6000 for 50 hp" debate...

That said, HKS350 did show trap speeds at least suggesting his gains (which were more than 50, but then his kit retail is more than 6k too, especially with tuning)... haven't seen a final dyno though.

To mikellucci- looking forward to your SC thread... I think if you could actually sell a +50 hp SC kit for 3k you'd get a decent amount of interest in it.

It was at 2x that price that LMS couldn't sell enough to bother with it... (even moreso when the F came out and offered 108 hp and a better transmission for around 10k)... but 3k is probably cheap enough... especially given some folks have spent close to that on intake/exhaust/headers to gain about half as much.

You'd probably get even more interest from the 250 guys, since it'd be the first kit that's actually cheaper than just trading in for a 350.... (albeit at half the gains). Watch out though- I know when Pepos adapted the LMS kit for his 250 in Greece he found it ran super super lean until he got a MAPECU3 on there to correct it, which probably puts the pricing back into "might as well get a 350" territory for folks in the US.
I cant believe I forgot HKS350. I do remember seeing his post awhile back with the Fcon. . Props to these guys who actually post up results.

I do believe iSuxel also dyno'd his car aswell.

AFIK ive been informed that unless you are running meth with some other modifications to the super charger kit, your car is going to run super lean and also lose hp. I personally cant validate that as I do not have a super charger installed, but a friend of mine who worked closely with LMS relayed me that information.

Last edited by JoshIS408; 03-07-12 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-07-12, 01:23 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

A lot since I used ceramic bearings, had custom cnc machine work done, a treadstone intercooler, the list goes on.

HOWEVER, I can reproduce a "kit" with lesser bells and whistles for probably $3k at 5.5PSI. Of course that would be with a rebuilt procharger unit as I cant seem to find brand new units for less then $2k. I'll also argue that I'd rather have a rebuilt unit as some of the koyo, fafnir and *** bearings I pulled out of the two units I have were total GARBAGE. I use only ABEC-7 steel bearings as a lesser option to full ceramic or hybrids.
Put a few thousand miles on yours and post some results/any problems. If it checks out, put me down for a kit haha
Old 03-07-12, 02:10 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good job on the DYI kit,

As for Dyno unless you base lined then the numbers mean nothing.

On the other side tho trap speeds in the 1/4 mile can get you close to WHP numbers.

I for one never based the car after my PPE header install.

So I just don't care to waste the money on the dyno time.

I have in fact tho dynoed the car without headers and did 280whp

Then added an 80hp shot of N2O which posted 330whp at 109 mph trap speeds in the 1/4 mile.

So I'm now on HKS supercharger with 6.5-7psi tuned clean. Also PPE headers + full custom 2.75 inch exhaust.

I'm now trapping speeds a lot faster putting my wheel HP close to 360- 380.

So if you take the data above I'm close to performing as well as a lightly modded ISF.

I have "street" raced an ISF and pull pretty hard (1.5 car lengths) up to 80 mph the ISF then hits its gusto and starts to walk me down when I go into 4th gear.

The ISF shines above 120 mph

The HKS supercharger IS350 will pull hard on an ISF below 100 mph.

The boost coupled with nice gearing in the IS350 make it a beast on a 20 mph roll.

Quick Reply: !!Looking for a Turbo ?!!