Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What to do!? Cheapest Real HP gains w/o Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-12 | 06:47 PM
LucciLou
Driver

Exclamation Well then....

oKKKK i get what u guys R saying definitely....Soooo if i was to turbo what would i have to do to make sure my sheet dont bust on me? Would i need a GTE cylinder head? what would i need? my IS is my daily i cant have it fall apart on me.....
Old 03-23-12 | 07:27 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Thats not necessary. To keep it simple you should look into turbo kits. Now seriously, how much are you willing to dump in this car?
Old 03-23-12 | 07:40 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by LucciLou
oKKKK i get what u guys R saying definitely....Soooo if i was to turbo what would i have to do to make sure my sheet dont bust on me? Would i need a GTE cylinder head? what would i need? my IS is my daily i cant have it fall apart on me.....
Actually, the GE head is better, the GTE lower end is much stronger...

My motor just threw a rod with a simple, low boost (8 psi), turbo setup... Not completely sure why, but its always a risk you run...

Even with naturally aspirated mods, you still put more stress on the motor and it is always a potential issue... Run any engine lean, etc, and it will get hurt... The only way to keep your car as reliable as it currently is, is to keep it stock...

It was a chance I took, and to me, its a good reason to build an engine...
Old 03-23-12 | 09:33 PM
skitso1080
Pole Position
CL Folding 25,000

Do more research until your comfortable, ask a lot of questions.

Tips for running boost:

Have a Wideband (to make sure you don't run your fuel too rich or too lean)

Standalone and piggy Back (tuning is key)

Have a Oil Pressure Gauge (you want to make sure you are flowing oil)

Size your injectors right, you don't want to peak your injectors you might run too lean.

Change your Oil frequently, keeps your bearings clean in the motor and the turbo.

Get the right spark plugs (might need it to be colder)

Size the turbo for the driving characteristics your want (you can go quick spool to dyno queen)

Know your local laws. California has very strict testing, if you go turbo you will never pass the smog test.

there are a few things I did not include, but what I mentioned above I either learned through others or the hard way.

Also if this is your daily, if you start doing the following there are no warranties to what you do. However the 2JZ is one of the best engines to do the following to in terms of reliability.

good luck with the project. Understand what you signed up for, once you go boost it can either be a lot of fun or a lot of headaches.

Do it right the first time.
Old 03-24-12 | 05:57 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by skitso1080
Do more research until your comfortable, ask a lot of questions.

Tips for running boost:

Have a Wideband (to make sure you don't run your fuel too rich or too lean)

Standalone and piggy Back (tuning is key)

Have a Oil Pressure Gauge (you want to make sure you are flowing oil)

Size your injectors right, you don't want to peak your injectors you might run too lean.

Change your Oil frequently, keeps your bearings clean in the motor and the turbo.

Get the right spark plugs (might need it to be colder)

Size the turbo for the driving characteristics your want (you can go quick spool to dyno queen)

Know your local laws. California has very strict testing, if you go turbo you will never pass the smog test.

there are a few things I did not include, but what I mentioned above I either learned through others or the hard way.

Also if this is your daily, if you start doing the following there are no warranties to what you do. However the 2JZ is one of the best engines to do the following to in terms of reliability.

good luck with the project. Understand what you signed up for, once you go boost it can either be a lot of fun or a lot of headaches.

Do it right the first time.
Couldn't have been said better.
Old 03-25-12 | 09:58 AM
LucciLou
Driver

Angry Beats me.....

Honestly i dont even know if i've said this before but with thee amount of money i've put into this car just keeping it running i could have had it paid off and bought a full swap or another car.......i dont know what to do....i mean should i keep it now or just get rid of the fukn thing i luv it but damn this has been like a money pit and i aint even done nothing to it yet and its just one thing after another falling apart....or going out something needing to be replaced....smh fml....
Old 03-25-12 | 10:02 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Bro,saving is key. I havent touched my car yet cuz Im saving up so I can do every thing at once lol.
Old 03-25-12 | 04:23 PM
LucciLou
Driver

Question well my friend

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
Bro,saving is key. I havent touched my car yet cuz Im saving up so I can do every thing at once lol.
hard to save when ur constantly dumping money into it and u dont make much in the 1st place....my insurance is just as much as my payments over 2 bennys a month....thats just for insurance...idk man **** aint cool....smh fml its like my only ***** is fallin apart on me more and more everyday.....i knew itd be expensive for parts and to get worked on but i dunno i luv cars they dont make anymore but i dont have the money to fix em and i dont even got money for a new car....wtf u know no wonder y ppl just stick wit hondas....
Old 03-25-12 | 04:34 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Care to elaborate on whats falling apart?
Old 03-29-12 | 07:58 PM
LucciLou
Driver

Arrow Well shall C

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
Care to elaborate on whats falling apart?
i dunno im probably just trippin but well find out tomorrow ill let u know what happens....
Old 04-04-12 | 11:32 AM
masonfloyd
Driver School Candidate

i dunno im probably just trippin but well find out tomorrow ill let u know what happens....
Ever find out what was falling apart?
Old 04-06-12 | 06:41 AM
Bezik777
Driver

Good info below

http://my.is/forums/f88/official-is3...thread-439348/
Old 04-12-12 | 09:55 AM
LucciLou
Driver

Angry What can it B?!?

Originally Posted by masonfloyd
Ever find out what was falling apart?
well well the new mechanics i went to said to get an alignment and new tires Sooo i got 2 new tires and i know i needed an alignment....but it helped a little but its still doing the same thing from the front right....it started over a year ago the first day i got the car i was just getting back into Lousiana from Texas and i was on a back highway this dude pulled out i was passing like 6 cars on a 2 lane highway on a curve going to the left so this truck pulled i was going over a buck and i swerved i hit his rear left bumper and skimmed off it with my front right fender smashed the mirror in and shattered it it was like a rock bouncing off water then i had to swerve real quick so i didnt hit the on coming car head on.....ever since then the noise has just gotten worse and worse from the front right.....ill be at Hot Import Nights this Friday and Cruise Down Central on Saturday if anyone in AZ might want to meet up let me know....im waking up early tomorrow and getting these headers put on....but yeah i cant figure this out this is really depressing i got the MAF sensor cleaned and it helped for a minute but not its just dragging & lagging again being held back from the front right....im honestly completely lost....smh fml....so any help would be appreciated.....t.y. & hope u all have a good day!
Old 04-12-12 | 03:15 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

well well the new mechanics i went to said to get an alignment and new tires Sooo i got 2 new tires and i know i needed an alignment....but it helped a little but its still doing the same thing from the front right....it started over a year ago the first day i got the car i was just getting back into Lousiana from Texas and i was on a back highway this dude pulled out i was passing like 6 cars on a 2 lane highway on a curve going to the left so this truck pulled i was going over a buck and i swerved i hit his rear left bumper and skimmed off it with my front right fender smashed the mirror in and shattered it it was like a rock bouncing off water then i had to swerve real quick so i didnt hit the on coming car head on.....ever since then the noise has just gotten worse and worse from the front right.....ill be at Hot Import Nights this Friday and Cruise Down Central on Saturday if anyone in AZ might want to meet up let me know....im waking up early tomorrow and getting these headers put on....but yeah i cant figure this out this is really depressing i got the MAF sensor cleaned and it helped for a minute but not its just dragging & lagging again being held back from the front right....im honestly completely lost....smh fml....so any help would be appreciated.....t.y. & hope u all have a good day!
Kinda hard to decipher this stuff, but, from what I get, you were abusing the car, not driving correctly and damaged it... chances are something is still damaged... get it fixed, drive respectably on the roads, and the car will last a lot longer... there is NEVER a need to pass cars on a turn at high speeds, be safe man... for you and the car...
Old 04-15-12 | 10:36 AM
LucciLou
Driver

Lightbulb ^_"

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Kinda hard to decipher this stuff, but, from what I get, you were abusing the car, not driving correctly and damaged it... chances are something is still damaged... get it fixed, drive respectably on the roads, and the car will last a lot longer... there is NEVER a need to pass cars on a turn at high speeds, be safe man... for you and the car...
"you have no idea"

Quick Reply: What to do!? Cheapest Real HP gains w/o Turbo