Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Exhaust setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-12, 01:05 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kitty2IS
By that do you mean F sport got quieter after a while ?
I mean, I got used to it after a while, and wanted it louder
Old 01-06-12, 10:54 AM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Megan Midpipes for sale if you're in socal. Cheap.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is2...n-midpipe.html
Old 01-06-12, 01:27 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

i go to meets all the time and my car is stock.
Old 01-06-12, 03:11 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an Invidia Midpipe and HKS Hi-Power and it's still not loud enough for me. I first got a good deal on an Invidia Midpipe by a local member. I didn't want it at the time but considering the price and they are only 60 miles away, I went for the deal. After I installed it with the stock exhaust, it literally made no difference. Quite a few people said it would sound louder even with the stock but it just made it a little raspier at about 3000 RPMs and higher. Not louder. Then I got a deal for an HKS Hi-Power from the same guy to trade for my stock and $50. It definitely made the car louder but not loud enough for my taste. I'm thinking of either chopping off the resonator in the midpipe or just wait for PPE headers. I'll admit, it's a bit scary starting up my car on a cold start with the garage door closed. It rumbles and makes my heart vibrate standing behind the car when it starts cold but very quiet when warmed up. Those Hondas I see with universal coffee cans are way louder.

If I were you and wanted something not too loud or quiet, you should get an F-Sport, HKS Hi-Power, or Greddy without a midpipe. Or a Tanabe or M2 with the Megan or Invidia Midpipe. Just don't get the midpipe alone. The stock mufflers quiets the exhaust pretty well. But with any aftermarket exhaust, the midpipe does make a difference.

Personal preference with the sound levels. You should go to meets or something and hear what people got in person. Most YouTube videos sound different in person. However, another person has the same set-up as me on YouTube and mine sounds identical. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH0fAYcBuuQ
Old 01-06-12, 06:07 PM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chi123
I have an Invidia Midpipe and HKS Hi-Power and it's still not loud enough for me. I first got a good deal on an Invidia Midpipe by a local member. I didn't want it at the time but considering the price and they are only 60 miles away, I went for the deal. After I installed it with the stock exhaust, it literally made no difference. Quite a few people said it would sound louder even with the stock but it just made it a little raspier at about 3000 RPMs and higher. Not louder. Then I got a deal for an HKS Hi-Power from the same guy to trade for my stock and $50. It definitely made the car louder but not loud enough for my taste. I'm thinking of either chopping off the resonator in the midpipe or just wait for PPE headers. I'll admit, it's a bit scary starting up my car on a cold start with the garage door closed. It rumbles and makes my heart vibrate standing behind the car when it starts cold but very quiet when warmed up. Those Hondas I see with universal coffee cans are way louder.

If I were you and wanted something not too loud or quiet, you should get an F-Sport, HKS Hi-Power, or Greddy without a midpipe. Or a Tanabe or M2 with the Megan or Invidia Midpipe. Just don't get the midpipe alone. The stock mufflers quiets the exhaust pretty well. But with any aftermarket exhaust, the midpipe does make a difference.

Personal preference with the sound levels. You should go to meets or something and hear what people got in person. Most YouTube videos sound different in person. However, another person has the same set-up as me on YouTube and mine sounds identical. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH0fAYcBuuQ
THANKS! Great review, answered lots of my questions.

I currently have the F-sport (not installed), and I guess the cost of it = Tanabe + invidia / HKS + invidia. So if I want to be cost effective, I guess I should go with HKS hi-power alone, or M2 + midpipe - both options cost less than F-sport alone. But I Heard M2 does not have the best fitment. ..
Old 01-06-12, 06:28 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

THANKS! Great review, answered lots of my questions.

I currently have the F-sport (not installed), and I guess the cost of it = Tanabe + invidia / HKS + invidia. So if I want to be cost effective, I guess I should go with HKS hi-power alone, or M2 + midpipe - both options cost less than F-sport alone. But I Heard M2 does not have the best fitment. ..
That's true, M2 doesn't have the best fitment. Most people say it's worth the money though. However, fitment issues with the M2 are usually minor. Muffler shops can easily make the adjustments to make it fit for under $50 most of the time.

I honestly liked the F-Sport exhaust when I first heard it but I can't spend $1000+ on one. I usually hate having to return or sell things so I'd probably slap it on. If it's too loud, you make make the choice to sell it. Lots of members on here would be interested in buying it. If it's too quiet, put on an Invidia Midpipe.
Old 01-06-12, 06:55 PM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chi123
That's true, M2 doesn't have the best fitment. Most people say it's worth the money though. However, fitment issues with the M2 are usually minor. Muffler shops can easily make the adjustments to make it fit for under $50 most of the time.

I honestly liked the F-Sport exhaust when I first heard it but I can't spend $1000+ on one. I usually hate having to return or sell things so I'd probably slap it on. If it's too loud, you make make the choice to sell it. Lots of members on here would be interested in buying it. If it's too quiet, put on an Invidia Midpipe.
I think the most affordable exhaust out there would be the Tanabe. Is Tanabe + midpipe louder than the F sport alone? If not, maybe I should just keep my F sport since the 2 setup cost about the same.

Another question: is quieter exhaust + invidia going to be overall quieter than a louder exhaust + invidia?

Last question: is there a difference between invidia and megan midpipe in terms of sound level production?

Thanks so much for your time
Old 01-06-12, 07:26 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

I think the most affordable exhaust out there would be the Tanabe. Is Tanabe + midpipe louder than the F sport alone? If not, maybe I should just keep my F sport since the 2 setup cost about the same.

Another question: is quieter exhaust + invidia going to be overall quieter than a louder exhaust + invidia?

Last question: is there a difference between invidia and megan midpipe in terms of sound level production?

Thanks so much for your time
Here's a video of the Tanabe + Invidia Midpipe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc7GSsHBs_M
Here's a video of the F-Sport: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fvyziqaNzY

I haven't heard both in person but I think the Tanabe with the Invidia will be the slightest bit louder. A "louder" axle-back will be louder if paired with the Invidia Midpipe. My HKS Hi-Power with Invidia will be louder than the Tanabe with Invidia. Yes, the Invidia Midpipe is louder than the Megan. The Invidia deletes two resonators while the Megan does not delete them.
Old 01-06-12, 08:32 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Invidia and the original Lexus HKS sounds very good,..close to the Invidia and Tanabe.
Old 01-09-12, 10:46 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What's the Lexus HKS ..? Who to order it from .. ? I don't think that's the F sport is it..?
Old 01-09-12, 10:50 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by clubfoot
The Invidia and the original Lexus HKS sounds very good,..close to the Invidia and Tanabe.
Dexterr has this setup. Its very nice... but kinda loud (For me anyways... )

Originally Posted by dorkacho
What's the Lexus HKS ..? Who to order it from .. ? I don't think that's the F sport is it..?
Search is your friend

Click below for your answer!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ds-inside.html

Lexus HKS is discontinued btw... Replaced by F-Sport.
Old 01-09-12, 11:09 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Man all this talk about Megan, exhaust, yada yada and I still can't find a good deal on a used invidia mid pipe

On the other hand, u already have the fsport, I say slap it on along with an intake and call it a day.
Old 01-09-12, 11:44 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

I'm tempted to do so, but I want a HKS now :-\

I'm also interested in an invidia ...
Old 01-09-12, 11:45 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Dexterr has this setup. Its very nice... but kinda loud (For me anyways... )

Search is your friend

Click below for your answer!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ds-inside.html

Lexus HKS is discontinued btw... Replaced by F-Sport.
Thanks ! I've always thought they were the same thing ..

I wonder if HKS price would go up since they left us..
Old 01-09-12, 11:47 PM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

I thought I heard from another member that midpipes are illegal here in CA . . do people actually get pulled over for being too loud?

Quick Reply: Exhaust setup