Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GS400/430 - Megan Mount Kit Petition

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-12, 08:45 AM
JDMJNKY
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HI98GS
As far as motor mounts are concerned. I have well over 500hp and 500 tq on my motor. Motor mounts don't like it. It ripped in less than 2 years. And I rarely pushed the motor that hard. Only time it got pushed to the limit was on the dyno. I would love to have motor mounts that wouldn't rip, but my overall experience is that once more solid mounts are place, the noise and vibration get transmitted to the cabin much more. Would be interested in the mounts.

If there was only a way to have the best of both worlds....now I'm dreaming.
Great feedback, and insight. That's the sort of things I was looking to hear. I wanted to know what's going on w/ mounts w/ performance modded GS's. I assure you a good durometer mount not only does the job but can keep all the negatives to a minimum.

In the start my were slight vi-by, before long it wasn't even noticeable. The noise level? no complaints there either. it was my wifes car to top it off, and she wanted it to remain comfortable.

Originally Posted by chknlittle
If these gave lifetime warranty and worked as well as say a hasport motor mount I would be interested
I doubt megan would, but I'm sure if it was worth wild for hasport/innov. company they'd make anything.

Originally Posted by AMSMIKE
First off, Lexus/Toyota is NOT a Honda.

Honda stock mounts SUCK. That's what 1,457 companies make aftermarket mounts to replace the stock ones.

and as for Megan Racing. I would NOT use any of their parts if they were Free. I've been around long enough to witness the crap they copy, i mean make.

if you want REAL mounts made... that are engineered and properly done. Talk to Figs (a sponsor) or Hasport.
Mike not to combat your knowledge, but you guys need to stop being stuck in the dinosaur age, and realize things are changing. Look at hyundai, they were crap in the 80's & 90's, they almost left the US Entirely. They made many changes, and improvements, and it shows.

I'm not sure if you've heard of hardrace, but I think you have lol. Those guys make some kickass bushings. I'm not 110% sure if megan bought those guys, or vice versa, or if they are just plain out sharing technology. But if Megan is using hardraces materials I'M ALL IN!

The only reason why I suggested megan is because they already cater to the SC crowed w/ mounts, if you guys want to commission another manufacture by all means say so,

Thanks,
Joel

Originally Posted by GSteg
I don't necessarily think Honda mounts are bad. I think it has more to do with the fact that a lot of Honda guys mod and drive more aggressively than us Toyota owners.

I'm all for a stiffer mount, but only if the car needs it. There is no reason why someone with a stock GS300 would need such a thing. The transmission shifts slow enough that even with stiff engine mounts, the shifts will still be mushy. On the other hand, someone with 400whp+ probably doesn't care about vibrations.
Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I was actually looking into getting a manufacturer to build some custom poly mounts. The stock mounts are fine if you are...well, stock. Once you increase the performance, there should be stronger mounts installed(which currently there are none for the 2GS). Why do the Supra owners upgrade the stock mounts to the TRD units, other aftermarket poly, or just straight solid mounts? When they launch hard, the engine will literally rip the mounts in half! On my previous setup in my white GS, the engine would torque over about 2" when running full out on the dyno. This can cause a variety of issues. The torquing of the engine may cause the couplers to pop off or the engine can bang against the shock towers.

I know most of the 2GS drivers here don't do anything near this level, but the guys over on My.IS are constantly tearing their motor mounts in half. Especially those that have swapped over to a 6 speed V160 and are launching their cars hard.
This is good info. also. I wasn't looking to change mounts for Sunday drivers, I guess I should have stated for modded driven GSs. I can have my own mount made, no problem. I just thought I'd share and gauge interests for other members. Some may have construed other thoughts, but mine were only in hopes to improve options for our community. I know there's not too many performance minded GS builders out there but even an alternative isn't that bad for those guys.

I cant even speculate a price of a mount set but I'm certain a "better," or improved mount for less would be great if it could happen.
Old 01-27-12, 09:23 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

When I have driven with the hood off the car I can see the motor move quite dramatically no doubt. I am running fresh oem engine, trans, and subframe/diff mounts. I really don't want solid mounts as having a solid one piece driveshaft without guibo/isolators and a heavy clutch the driveline already transmits enough to the chassis, I prefer the rubber to absorb some of the shock from shifting. The more solid you start making everything the more likely to start breaking something. The energy has to go somewhere.

I could just make the Supra mounts work on the GS with a little modification, it wouldn't be that big of a deal, it's always nice to have aftermarket options but once someone has a built a car to level of needing solid mounts then they are likely to have the means or someone with the means to one-off a solution.

I would be more inclined to install a quality engine damper in my car before getting solid mounts. Not an ebay damper with hard plastic bushings inside, but an actual valved absorber..
Old 01-27-12, 09:41 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
I would be more inclined to install a quality engine damper in my car before getting solid mounts. Not an ebay damper with hard plastic bushings inside, but an actual valved absorber..
i dont think anyone makes one specifically for us though im sure one could be adapted to fit
Old 01-27-12, 10:17 AM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDMJNKY

Mike not to combat your knowledge, but you guys need to stop being stuck in the dinosaur age, and realize things are changing. Look at hyundai, they were crap in the 80's & 90's, they almost left the US Entirely. They made many changes, and improvements, and it shows.

I'm not sure if you've heard of hardrace, but I think you have lol. Those guys make some kickass bushings. I'm not 110% sure if megan bought those guys, or vice versa, or if they are just plain out sharing technology. But if Megan is using hardraces materials I'M ALL IN!

The only reason why I suggested megan is because they already cater to the SC crowed w/ mounts, if you guys want to commission another manufacture by all means say so,

Thanks,
Joel
Hardrace is not a manufacturer. They buy from the same Tawain source that Megan does. Thats why it looks the same. It is. For that matter, a lot of companies buy from the same source manufacturer in Tawain and slap their name on it or change the color. They don't do any of the R&D or engineering themselves. I will leave out the sources name.

I am not knocking stuff made over seas, most (not all) everyone's stuff is made there. That's why its affordable because made in USA costs a lot more money.

However, engine mounts need to be engineered, tested and the right urethane compound used in order to achieve the right hardness for the vehicle.

I think Figs would have a good shot also at getting this done. And the fact that Mike makes the stuff and engineers it. I say support a vendor FIRST!
Old 01-27-12, 01:39 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting.

......Considering we raced our 600whp One Lap Supra for 6 years with stock motor mounts, and they're still good to this day.