Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GS400/430 - Megan Mount Kit Petition

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-12, 09:04 AM
JDMJNKY
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS400/430 - Megan Mount Kit Petition

Hey Guys,

I was curious, if they were avail. how many of you guys would want megan racing motor mounts?

I've seen them avail. for the SC, so I figured maybe if we get enough people, we could get some made for our 2GS. I have heard of any, or read any, horror stories from SC owners w/ them but I'm sure the change would be cost effective.

I have already dropped the idea a few months ago to megan reps. so I can continue to implement the issue w/ some backing. If you guys are interested, just post up here. Whatever transpires here I will relay to megan in hopes of one day having some good aftermarket mounts for our cars.

Regards,
Joel
Old 01-11-12, 06:11 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

what's wrong with the stock motor mounts?
Old 01-13-12, 09:43 PM
SpuGen
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better question: Why would you want Megan Racing to make them in the first place?
Old 01-13-12, 11:28 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

because racecar
Old 01-24-12, 05:37 PM
JDMJNKY
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bippu147
what's wrong with the stock motor mounts?
I think a less expensive more durable alternative is worth a try?!?

I noticed quiet a few positives when upgrading my 2005 accordV6 mounts to aftermarket innovative mounts. Shifts were crisper, acceleration didn't seem to suffer by engine TQ, handling was a smidge sharper, and to top it off they were just simply better than Oem w/ lifetime warranty.

Do you get that warranty on your stock mounts?

Originally Posted by SpuGen
Better question: Why would you want Megan Racing to make them in the first place?
Because they now use hardraces technology, and hardraces bushings are the explicit.

Originally Posted by speedaddic
because racecar
Eggzachary!!!

Last edited by JDMJNKY; 01-24-12 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-24-12, 06:20 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by speedaddic
because racecar

Old 01-25-12, 08:38 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDMJNKY
I think a less expensive more durable alternative is worth a try?!?

I noticed quiet a few positives when upgrading my 2005 accordV6 mounts to aftermarket innovative mounts. Shifts were crisper, acceleration didn't seem to suffer by engine TQ, handling was a smidge sharper, and to top it off they were just simply better than Oem w/ lifetime warranty.
You're dreaming. Most of the time they cause excessive noise and vibrations. It doesn't upgrade handling, or give you more power, or make your shifts crisper. It's a motor mount, not some magical car part from the realm of mount fuji.

Do you get that warranty on your stock mounts?
Who gives about warranty? Are you going to keep your car for another million years? The factory mounts so far have lasted 14 years and counting, and they've done their job properly as well.
Old 01-25-12, 10:48 AM
JDMJNKY
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bippu147
You're dreaming. Most of the time they cause excessive noise and vibrations. It doesn't upgrade handling, or give you more power, or make your shifts crisper. It's a motor mount, not some magical car part from the realm of mount fuji.

Who gives about warranty? Are you going to keep your car for another million years? The factory mounts so far have lasted 14 years and counting, and they've done their job properly as well.
Now I know your ignorant to your own thoughts, but I assure you I'm not dreaming. You can not ever tell a person what they experienced. The mounts I had did no such thing, "cause excessive noise vibrations."

Where did I say upgrade handling? Lol...I said I felt a smidge of Improved cornering. Although you cannot see it visually a mount, and motor flexs while cornering an under accel. My car did see an improvement in crisper shifts, because of this. Not only under torque are you stressing the mounts, but your also changing driveline angles. Rasing the engine & transmission from its original geometry no matter how minute is still a change. Again I stress the was my relative experience, and to my knowledge you are a nobody to tell me what my experience was.

Am I trying to sell you on some dream? No! And maybe! I request a difference from my car than you. If I'm upgrading everything in my engine why wouldnt I upgrade a mount? I am new to Lexus, and may not know the max whp capacity of a factory mount but I do know an alternative cant be that bad. Never once have I regretted increasing the rubber durometer of my mounts in any car. Only positive from my perspective.
Old 01-25-12, 10:59 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Put octane booster in your car. you'll gain 5hp.
Old 01-25-12, 06:43 PM
JDMJNKY
Lead Lap

Ill just add the decal roll call on the rear window instead, it's like a 50 shot of nitrous!
Old 01-25-12, 11:12 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

As far as motor mounts are concerned. I have well over 500hp and 500 tq on my motor. Motor mounts don't like it. It ripped in less than 2 years. And I rarely pushed the motor that hard. Only time it got pushed to the limit was on the dyno. I would love to have motor mounts that wouldn't rip, but my overall experience is that once more solid mounts are place, the noise and vibration get transmitted to the cabin much more. Would be interested in the mounts.

If there was only a way to have the best of both worlds....now I'm dreaming.
Old 01-26-12, 06:10 PM
chknlittle
Pole Position

If these gave lifetime warranty and worked as well as say a hasport motor mount I would be interested
Old 01-26-12, 08:20 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, Lexus/Toyota is NOT a Honda.

Honda stock mounts SUCK. That's what 1,457 companies make aftermarket mounts to replace the stock ones.

and as for Megan Racing. I would NOT use any of their parts if they were Free. I've been around long enough to witness the crap they copy, i mean make.

if you want REAL mounts made... that are engineered and properly done. Talk to Figs (a sponsor) or Hasport.
Old 01-26-12, 08:27 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't necessarily think Honda mounts are bad. I think it has more to do with the fact that a lot of Honda guys mod and drive more aggressively than us Toyota owners.

I'm all for a stiffer mount, but only if the car needs it. There is no reason why someone with a stock GS300 would need such a thing. The transmission shifts slow enough that even with stiff engine mounts, the shifts will still be mushy. On the other hand, someone with 400whp+ probably doesn't care about vibrations.
Old 01-27-12, 12:06 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I was actually looking into getting a manufacturer to build some custom poly mounts. The stock mounts are fine if you are...well, stock. Once you increase the performance, there should be stronger mounts installed(which currently there are none for the 2GS). Why do the Supra owners upgrade the stock mounts to the TRD units, other aftermarket poly, or just straight solid mounts? When they launch hard, the engine will literally rip the mounts in half! On my previous setup in my white GS, the engine would torque over about 2" when running full out on the dyno. This can cause a variety of issues. The torquing of the engine may cause the couplers to pop off or the engine can bang against the shock towers.

I know most of the 2GS drivers here don't do anything near this level, but the guys over on My.IS are constantly tearing their motor mounts in half. Especially those that have swapped over to a 6 speed V160 and are launching their cars hard.

Quick Reply: GS400/430 - Megan Mount Kit Petition