Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

3.76 Supra Differential-More info

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-07, 02:20 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey Jeff...how are you able to "push" the redline further out? Through your stand alone EMS? Or does your engine have to be set up a certain way too?
Old 12-03-07, 04:45 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Hey Jeff...how are you able to "push" the redline further out? Through your stand alone EMS? Or does your engine have to be set up a certain way too?
Yes through the standalone EMS. I can set the rev limit to what I want it to be. Keep in mind, you have to have everything up to spec or else it could be disastrous. I have stronger pistons, rods, valve springs, and valves installed in my new engine. Also, revving higher will not gain you more power unless you have proper head work or have some kind of FI. In my case I have both...the head has been custom port and polished and the turbo is blowing in more air. I'm also thinking about putting in a HKS264 cam on the ehxaust side in the future. Either way, if you raise the rev limit on the GS400 to say 7500rpm...I'm not sure if that engine will hold together. Also, you won't make much power because that V8 starts running out of breath close to redline. You will need to do some work to the internals, port the head, and cams to gain from an increased redline.
Old 12-06-07, 06:11 AM
j0xxx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how noticeable is the rear-end upgrade. can you feel a difference? i'm looking into the HKS exhaust cam gear and the 3.76 gears. any suggestions? i want to keep it N/A for now as a DD but still be able to get Slideways
Old 12-06-07, 08:09 AM
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the rear end upgrade will not work for your gs3. The 3's already have a 3.92 gears in them. Going down to the 3.76 would actually slow you down! You should just add the lsd unit to your rear end!
Old 12-06-07, 03:58 PM
exquisit
Driver School Candidate

does a supra lsd bolt straight into the gs300 housing?
or does the whole housing need to be swapped as jefftsai has done?
Old 12-06-07, 04:32 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by kevs98GS4
the rear end upgrade will not work for your gs3. The 3's already have a 3.92 gears in them. Going down to the 3.76 would actually slow you down! You should just add the lsd unit to your rear end!
I'm actually trying to slow it down lol. I have too much power and the tires just spin thru 1st and 2nd. Once I put in the new motor, I'm probably going to be spnning thru 3rd or 4th lol.

Originally Posted by exquisit
does a supra lsd bolt straight into the gs300 housing?
or does the whole housing need to be swapped as jefftsai has done?
You should be able to disassemble it and swap the differential pieces. The supra TT rear end does have an advantage though. It has 4-5x more cooling fins than the GS stock rear. Under heavy load those fins will help the rear diff from overheating.
Old 12-06-07, 05:22 PM
j0xxx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok awesome that explains y i am at 3k rpms before i hit 80mph. dude i thought my **** was messing up or something. how would i just add LSD to the diff then?
Old 12-11-07, 06:10 AM
exquisit
Driver School Candidate

just to check, any lsd made for tt supras will fit the gs300 housing

is there a difference in the tt and na supra lsd's then??
Old 12-11-07, 12:38 PM
SUPRA OWNER
Pole Position

Default Guys, I just did this mod and it's worth it. However, I didn't swap->

out the whole pumpkin. We opened up the TT pumpkin and swaped out the Diff. The car feels a whole lot more stable at high speed and now I am able to put the power to the ground. Driving a 500+rwhp GS on one wheel was extremely scary. Everytime I hit boost one wheel would spin and slide the back end into the next lane LoL. For price reference I paid $400 for the TT diff and $300 for the install. By the way I have a 2000 GS300.
Later, Jose
Old 12-11-07, 12:46 PM
SUPRA OWNER
Pole Position

Default This is what I did, no problem so far. A night and day difference

in my car.

Later, Jose

You should be able to disassemble it and swap the differential pieces. The supra TT rear end does have an advantage though. It has 4-5x more cooling fins than the GS stock rear. Under heavy load those fins will help the rear diff from overheating.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-11-07, 01:37 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

500+rwhp GS300??? I gotta hear what mods you have done to this...stock GS300 puts down around 180whp. You TRIPLED the output, I haven't even seen the V8 TT guys putting down this power?
Old 12-12-07, 06:34 AM
SUPRA OWNER
Pole Position

Default Honestly nothing special, the Is300 guys have been doing this for years.

TT head gasket, TT piston and Rods, ARP studs,Tec3r standalone, PT 67bb turbo, Unorthodox pulleys, 85LB Injectors, Water Meth. I dynoed 552 to the wheels at 25lb of boost on 93 octane with water meth. I only had 1 fuel pump at that time. Now I have dual fuel pumps I am sure I can hit 600 + rwhp with race gas at 30lb. However, my tranny is not going to like that LoL.
Later, Jose

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
500+rwhp GS300??? I gotta hear what mods you have done to this...stock GS300 puts down around 180whp. You TRIPLED the output, I haven't even seen the V8 TT guys putting down this power?
Old 12-13-07, 06:16 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by exquisit
just to check, any lsd made for tt supras will fit the gs300 housing

is there a difference in the tt and na supra lsd's then??
just get TRD lsd and save your self the headache.
Old 12-14-07, 06:43 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SUPRA OWNER
TT head gasket, TT piston and Rods, ARP studs,Tec3r standalone, PT 67bb turbo, Unorthodox pulleys, 85LB Injectors, Water Meth. I dynoed 552 to the wheels at 25lb of boost on 93 octane with water meth. I only had 1 fuel pump at that time. Now I have dual fuel pumps I am sure I can hit 600 + rwhp with race gas at 30lb. However, my tranny is not going to like that LoL.
Later, Jose
Holy ***** Man I'm scared to ask how much $$$$ you spent on all this ...
Old 12-14-07, 11:34 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't mean to highjack--just a quick question for clarification. (I'm a new convert to the RWD car, purchasing a GS400 or 430 in the near future. Yes, I did a search to try to learn more--maybe I missed it...)

If someone could quickly clarify this for me, I'd appreciate it...

The GS did NOT come factory with an LSD--just a D with 3.2X gears, right? The Supra TT auto unit is a 3.76 LSD that will bolt right in. Better gearing with limited slip=better grip. This upgrade saves only 0.2 seconds off a 0-60, primarily because on the extra gear change to 3rd. This swap is the same for 400 and 430 models.

Also, a torque converter upgrade complements this, right? Will this cut any 0-60 time?

I'll keep searching in the meantime...

Matt

Quick Reply: 3.76 Supra Differential-More info