Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Better Tanabe Exhaust sound!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-12, 05:45 PM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slammer1
Found a reputable muffler shop that will cut out my resonator and weld in a straight pipe for $40. Gonna try that first. They said that if I don't like it, they can put the resonator back in, and then I can go for the mid pipe (with the factory mid pipe still in tact). I will have opinion tomorrow night....
I don't understand, if you go for aftermarket midpipe invidia or Megan how is it possible you can have the oem midpipe still on? It replaces the entire midpipe
Old 02-01-12, 07:08 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You didn't get it. My point was that by having a shop weld the resonator back in if I am not happy with just the resonator delete, I still have my factory mid pipe to replace an Invidia mid pipe if I ever switch it back to stock later. I still have my factory axle back in the garage for that very same reason.
Old 02-01-12, 07:11 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gaugster
Midpipe and/or headers will have a huge impact on the sound of the Tanabe. Wakes it up for sure.... :-)
I'm not looking to do headers anytime soon, and can't seem to find a mid pipe for less than about $320 shipped. I figured that for $40, it was worth a shot just to try the resonator delete and see how it sounds. I can put it back if I don't like it. Still a little worried that a mid pipe may be too loud with the axle back. The car stays backed into my garage and I crank it early in the morning with the garage door up. As we all know, the IS idles fairly high when it is cold, and it already has a rumble that can be heard upstairs. I don't want to wake the neighbors up at 6am with the car doing a 5 minute warm up in the garage.......
Old 02-01-12, 07:18 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ 6am is a good time for your neighbors to get up and pee anyway
Old 02-01-12, 08:09 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

I have TOLD them that, but they aint buying it...... Losers!
Old 02-02-12, 08:15 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, did the resonator delete today. It is louder for sure, but not as loud as I expected it would be. I still don't have any exhaust note at idle, which pisses me off and was really what I wanted. There is a big difference at highway speeds, as you can hear the note with even moderate throttle at 65 or 70 mph. I am gonna have to drive it for a couple days before I make up my mind. The shop told me that they could remove the cats in the OEM mid pipe and weld in delete pipes if I wanted, and for only $60. My concern is that will then be too loud. I have my old resonator and can have them put it back if that is the case, but not sure which way I want to go yet. On the down side, my remote start no longer works. I have already done a Google search regarding the potential damaging of electronics when doing welding on a car, and found that either they should have disconnected the battery or used a device which would prevent current from the welding from entering the car's electrical system. If isn't one thing, it's another. Damn......
Old 02-02-12, 09:14 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry to hear that. Maybe you should have just bought a new exhaust/midpipe ? Shrug.
Old 02-10-12, 11:48 PM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

So mid pipe wont change the tone and sound of the exhaust to more throaty ? I dont care about getting it much louder..a little bit louder would be nice but I want that throaty sound!!
Old 02-13-12, 07:33 PM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RastaRacer
Add the invidia mid pipe with the Tanabe. Sounds pretty good.
Originally Posted by Gaugster
Midpipe and/or headers will have a huge impact on the sound of the Tanabe. Wakes it up for sure.... :-)
Is there anymore videos besides the only one on youtube sitting and revving?
Old 02-14-12, 06:24 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kitty2IS
Is there anymore videos besides the only one on youtube sitting and revving?
Na, I don't think so. Just got a new phone so maybe I will make a HD video this spring/summer. Don't hold me to it however.....
Old 02-15-12, 07:01 PM
TLP_IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RastaRacer
Add the invidia mid pipe with the Tanabe. Sounds pretty good.
ditto. it sounds perfect imo. kind of like a 350z with a x pipe sound. its really mean. i just did this upgrade about a month ago and love it
Old 02-15-12, 07:13 PM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

^ Some videos would be great
Old 02-15-12, 07:19 PM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kitty2IS
^ Some videos would be great
why dont you just go for it? if you decide you don't like the set up you can always resell and you wont lose any money at all, if you get a used exhaust or midpipe around the same asking price. i got my tananbe from my friend for $320 used and tried it with my invidia, didnt really like it and sold it to my friend.
Old 02-15-12, 07:36 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HeartmyIS
why dont you just go for it? if you decide you don't like the set up you can always resell and you wont lose any money at all, if you get a used exhaust or midpipe around the same asking price. i got my tananbe from my friend for $320 used and tried it with my invidia, didnt really like it and sold it to my friend.
What didn't you like about it? I have a loud drone at highway speeds (2k rpm) that is deep and driving me crazy. Sounds more like a hole in a muffler in an old truck. This, of course, is with my Tanabe axle back and the deleted resonator. I don't want to go midpipe if I am going to have the same exhaust tone in the car at highway speeds. If it were a rasp, that would be different.
Old 02-15-12, 07:51 PM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

There was just this little noise/sound that shows around 2.5k or so and I don't like it, bothers me a lot since i'm very particular about certain things.

Quick Reply: Better Tanabe Exhaust sound!