Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Better Tanabe Exhaust sound!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-12, 07:55 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still think I am going to try the midpipe (if I can find a deal on one) and see how it sounds. If I don't like that either, I will just put my factory midpipe back in with the resonator, and just have the Tanabe axle back. As I have stated before, it sounds great under acceleration, but there is no evidence of an aftermarket exhaust unless you are "in it".
Old 02-15-12, 08:03 PM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because I Kind of want to do it right the first time around
Old 02-15-12, 08:10 PM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kitty2IS
Because I Kind of want to do it right the first time around
Its hard to do it the first time around haha, I tried 3 different set ups before i like my current set up. It'll take you atleast a week to adjust to the setup and then decide if you like it or not.
Old 02-15-12, 08:18 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeartmyIS
Its hard to do it the first time around haha, I tried 3 different set ups before i like my current set up. It'll take you atleast a week to adjust to the setup and then decide if you like it or not.
So true! I loved the current set up at first. Took me a few days to notice the tone that I dislike. And now it is driving me nuts! I will get it right eventually, but gonna take a few changes to find what I really like.
Old 02-20-12, 06:38 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

^ Some videos would be great
Updated my sig with a new video enjoy.
Old 02-21-12, 08:14 AM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HeartmyIS
Oh really.. I don't do any installs . . so to save time and money I really need to try my best to get it right the first . . even if it's almost impossible hehe
Old 02-21-12, 08:15 AM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gaugster
Updated my sig with a new video enjoy.
Sounds nice ! I actually thought about Tanabe + F sport intake + invidia. Thanks for making and sharing the video ! :thumbup ~~
Old 02-21-12, 06:20 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Sounds nice ! I actually thought about Tanabe + F sport intake + invidia. Thanks for making and sharing the video ! :thumbup ~~
Thanks - I like the sound a lot. I have not heard a mid-pipe with axle back in person but you have to start somewhere.
Old 02-21-12, 07:07 PM
shiny250
Advanced

If you're looking for a midpipe, I'd say try the Megan midpipe. In my opinion, Invidia would make it too raspy.
Slammer1: I still think I am going to try the midpipe (if I can find a deal on one) and see how it sounds.
In regards to too much drone on the freeway, the ECU adjusts itself and usually (in my case) becomes a little more quiet.
Slammer1: What didn't you like about it? I have a loud drone at highway speeds (2k rpm) that is deep and driving me crazy. Sounds more like a hole in a muffler in an old truck. This, of course, is with my Tanabe axle back and the deleted resonator. I don't want to go midpipe if I am going to have the same exhaust tone in the car at highway speeds. If it were a rasp, that would be different.
I've got a Tanabe midpipe paired with my Tanabe axleback, and there's still barely any exhaust note during idle after the cars warmed up. I think it'll be hard to get that idling exhaust note that you want with the Tanabe axleback. I think the Fsport exhaust might be a better option for you. It should get you the sound you want, without having to delete cats and resonators. Its plenty loud and throaty.
Slammer1: I still don't have any exhaust note at idle, which pisses me off and was really what I wanted.

Last edited by shiny250; 02-21-12 at 07:12 PM.