Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Will a Mid-pipe make my exhaust louder?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-12, 10:04 AM
White350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It actually is a "cat-back" because of the simple fact that there are Cat's in the Midpipe, If there were no cats then it would be an Axle back
Old 02-02-12, 10:33 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

It axle back. Piping at the rear axle back. If it a true cat back it start from the primary cat on the header on back. Fauls use of words on there selling point.
Old 02-02-12, 01:16 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If cat back has a cat, why would it be illegal in most states ?
Old 02-02-12, 04:21 PM
White350
Rookie

Originally Posted by laobo979
It axle back. Piping at the rear axle back. If it a true cat back it start from the primary cat on the header on back. Fauls use of words on there selling point.
No its not because there are cats integrated in to the mid-pipe, so in essence the midpipe is a cat

So it being called A Bolt on Cat back is 100% true

just because the piping begins at the Axle means nothing,

if this was a Civic on the other hand it would 100% be an axle back because the midpipe has no cat and to be a true cat-back it would need the midpipe
Old 02-02-12, 04:31 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Sorry but 100% of CL member will agree its not. Even the other exhaust company make the same exhaust and dont claim it to be a cat back. Tein who i bought it from even told me that it not a cat back it just how they word it. Remember we have 4 cats two primary which is on the header that is the main one. The midpipe is for extra on the emission. But if you think it is its all good.
Old 02-02-12, 05:09 PM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made my previous statement about aftermarket midpipes not fitting with the Fujitsubo exhaust because I assumed the Fujitsubo exhaust bolted up right after the headers and primary cats. Thought their exhaust came with a midpipe (hence catback). Maybe a better term would be resonator back since the bolt on connection is after the resonator and not the seconary cats.
Old 02-03-12, 10:33 AM
White350
Rookie

Are there Cats in the midpipe? yes or no? Simple answer, regardless if they are only for Emissions (Hint all cats are for emissions)

SO after you answer those question, Now is it a cat-back and why not?

and that's a bold statement saying that 100% of members would agree

AH i see MrBBQ I was hoping it would've included the midpipe for the price but then again I did get it on sale so can't be picky
Old 02-03-12, 12:02 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The thing is- the midpipe does not end in a cat. There's pipe after the rear most cats. That this system does not replace. There's a nice big resonator there even. After the cat. Before this piece.

Thus it is, just like the tanabe, F-sport, and all the others that bolt on in the same place, an axle-back exhaust.

Picture of Fujitusbo exhaust-

http://www.kuruma-motoring.com/catalog/$(KGrHqR,!m!E3J4eozIQBOISt7C)Jw~~0_1_69810_1.JPG

Diagram of 2IS exhaust system:
http://my.is/forums/f155/looking-oem...7/#post5826189

Notice how the Fujitsubo parts correspond to only the axle-back section?

There's still a nice big resonator (and Y-merge into it) sitting in between this aftermarket AXLE BACK exhaust and the rear-most cats.

Last edited by Kurtz; 02-03-12 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-03-12, 04:47 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Still not a cat back. If you think that I take it you call your stock exhaust a cat back? Since it just replace your stock exhaust and nothing else haha....
Old 02-03-12, 05:51 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't understand why there is so much confusion on this subject....... Your exhaust consists of three basic pieces. The manifolds (which each contain a cat), the mid pipe section (which contains the pair of secondary cats and a resonator), and the axle back section which contains the mufflers and tips. The link that Kurtz attached shows the mid pipe and the axle back sections. If an aftermarket exhaust is to replace the rear section of the exhaust (not under the front seats typically), it is an axle back. If it replaces the majority of the exhaust from the manifolds back, it is considered a cat back. Many people on the internet jack this up, and I have seen numerous online listings for exhaust systems that are incorrectly listed. Honestly, unless someone has dealt with exhaust, done research to buy an exhaust, or listed exhaust for sell, this whole concept can be confusing for them. Look closely at the pics of what you are buying! If you don't see at least five pieces of piping for an IS, it is likely just an axle back. Most axle backs are in two pieces for our cars. The mid pipes are three separate pieces of pipe. Also of note, most mid pipes contain a resonator (as does the factory mid pipe), but no secondary catalytic converters.
Old 02-03-12, 10:34 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Nice write up
Old 02-04-12, 10:00 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dorkacho
If cat back has a cat, why would it be illegal in most states ?
Sorry this got missed in the all "what's it called?" business...

It's a violation of federal law to remove a working catalytic converter from a car.

Even if you're replacing it with some other brand of catalytic converter.

Which is why even the systems that come with "high flow cats" like the Joe Z street version usually include the "for off road use only" disclaimer.

http://l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=2920

Originally Posted by Joe Z Street Exhaust
Full Aftermarket exhaust replacement parts carry the disclaimer:
“For Off Road Use Only”
Old 02-04-12, 10:28 AM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

^ Thanks Kurtz

This doesn't make sense to me . . a working cat is a working cat . . right? Why do they have to make it so difficult
And if they are so strict, why did they not make it illegal to manufacture cat backs / midpipes, etc ?
Old 02-04-12, 08:26 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dorkacho
^ Thanks Kurtz

This doesn't make sense to me . . a working cat is a working cat . . right? Why do they have to make it so difficult
And if they are so strict, why did they not make it illegal to manufacture cat backs / midpipes, etc ?

They can't make it illegal to manufacture the part, because there's no law against the part existing, just against it being installed on a street car for street use... Race cars don't pass emissions nor do they have to- only street driven ones.

Hence the disclaimer on such parts that they are for off-road use only (or race use in some cases)

They make it illegal to remove a working cat (on a street driven vehicle) because it's there for a reason- to meet emissions standards. There's no legally valid reason to remove it if it's working- the only thing you could possibly be doing by removing it is risking it no longer meeting emissions standards.

Some states are even more strict- in CA not only can you not remove a working one, you can't even replace a non working one unless it meets specific standards that it works as well as the original one (that is- no high flow cats allowed).

Mind you, in real life, especially outside of CA, the average inspection station won't know any more than to check the car has the correct # of cats on it and isn't likely to ever "catch" that you're not running original parts... but it doesn't make it any more legal if you get away with it.
Old 02-05-12, 12:43 AM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Oh I see. So let's say the inspection catches it, is this where the federal violation fine would be applied (I think you mentioned 25,000 in another thread)? If not, typically how is the federal violation fine enforced? Thanks for your time

Quick Reply: Will a Mid-pipe make my exhaust louder?