Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Used or not used? [exhaust]

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-12, 06:06 AM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always figure out what I want, then camp out until I can find the best deal. Mod purchases for a Lexus are far too expensive to be "impulse buys". You will go broke quickly that way. Do your homework (sounds like you're already doing this) and then wait until you find a deal. I bought my Tanabe new, but got a great deal on it. I wouldn't have hesitated to buy a used exhaust however, as long as it was reasonably low miles and didn't have any imperfections that would be visible.
Old 02-16-12, 08:18 AM
Denver
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

an used exhaust is fine as long its not damage
Old 02-16-12, 09:56 AM
Haddz
Driver School Candidate

im having the same dilemma since im looking to get an exhaust and intake. i was thinking if its a mechanical product like an intake, and exhaust, it would be safer to buy new?
Old 02-16-12, 03:32 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Haddz
im having the same dilemma since im looking to get an exhaust and intake. i was thinking if its a mechanical product like an intake, and exhaust, it would be safer to buy new?
How do you figure? neither has any moving parts to wear out.
Old 02-16-12, 03:43 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

The worst can happen u can buy the new gaskets... that all there is to it...
Old 02-16-12, 07:22 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

If you can find the brand/part that you are after used, unless it's damaged it's a no-brainer to go for it. Very few mods degrade after use.

For intakes you may need to clean or oil the filter (at worst) if there is no damage.

For exhausts you may need to buy new gaskets but at worst they may be $10 a piece so that's trivial if you're driving a Lexus.

But being able to find used options depends on the community. If you have an Evo you get tons of parts for next to nothing (figure 20% of cost). But the Subaru crowd maintains their prices way more (figure 70% of cost).

Regardless, if you can buy used and save money I would recommend that 99% of the time.
Old 02-16-12, 08:43 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

I waited and waited and waited and... well, you get the picture, for a used Tanabe in the CL classifieds and either I was too late or peeps didn't want to ship. I ended up buying new but I don't regret it one bit. Yes, I'd have been happier with another $200 or so in my pocket and wouldn't have minded one bit to have a used exhaust on my car but I got tired of waiting. Either way you go, you'll be happy with the purchase.
Old 02-17-12, 10:05 AM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

Thanks so much guys, I feel the love. Lots of good feedbacks. I will give it few more weeks, if can't find a good used deal, I"LL JUST PULL THE TRIGGER!! !!!
Old 02-22-12, 08:14 AM
ydnandy
Pole Position

I am in the same boat as the OP, think I might have found a used f-sport exhaust for a decent price. What damage should I be looking for if I go take a look at this? Is it simply a matter of looking for holes in the pipes?

Also, I think the exhaust underwent a revision at some point. Is that correct, or did they just start adding the f-sport logo to the side? If there was a revision, what changed? Should I stay away from the no logo version?

thanks!
Old 02-22-12, 12:10 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any physical damages, like scrapes on bottom of the canisters. Also, check the gaskets to make sure they're good, as well as the hangers. There's not much else that can go wrong with the exhaust.

I'm pretty sure the revision was just adding a logo. I have not heard anyone speak about an actual difference between the two.
Old 02-26-12, 08:00 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kumquatism
Any physical damages, like scrapes on bottom of the canisters. Also, check the gaskets to make sure they're good, as well as the hangers. There's not much else that can go wrong with the exhaust.

I'm pretty sure the revision was just adding a logo. I have not heard anyone speak about an actual difference between the two.
Correct. Only difference of the "revised" F-Sport is the engraved logo on the tips.

Since an exhaust isn't a "wear and tear" item - don't hesitate to buy one used. Its just as good as a new one, and it'll already be "broken in"
Old 02-26-12, 08:43 PM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

^Broken in? Meaning sound changes after some period of use ?
Old 02-26-12, 09:36 PM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Broken in meaning it will be a bit quieter than it was new. It happens to all exhausts; even the mid pipe after a certain amount of miles
Old 02-26-12, 10:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

As long as the tips are in good condition used is a good choice
Old 02-27-12, 08:35 AM
PnutTran
Driver School Candidate

Im new to modding as well. I can mod motorcycles lol. But this is regarding cars and I'm kinda clueless. Ive actually been researching exhaust as well or something simple just to get a low growl to my car. Have you heard of people taking out the resonator in the exhaust? I heard it gives it a different sound but I don't know for sure. BTW I saw a few good deals for the f sport exhaust. Ill have to find it again but will keep you updated.

Quick Reply: Used or not used? [exhaust]