Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

For Immediate Press Release!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-02, 10:40 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to echo the sentiments of others... Congratulations SRT on a beautiful project. Quite a project that appears to have been handled with your usual style and finesse!

OK, now that I'm done sucking up , I'd also like to make another plea to SRT to not do away with the super charger for the GS. It is dearly needed by those of us that arent quite ready to step up to the TT. Please reconsider!

Last edited by mumbles; 10-23-02 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-23-02, 10:44 AM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Beautiful install! Congrats to SRT.

Personally, I would like to see timeslips on pump gas and 100 octane unleaded race gas using both street tires and DOT slicks. Sure, dyno numbers are nice, but we all know dyno numbers can be manipulated (intentionally or not). Furthermore, when power levels approaching 500HP or more are applied to a true 'street' car with IRS such as the GS, more HP often does not equate to improved dragstrip performance due to traction issues. IMO, there is no benefit to power levels (especially in a luxury sedan) that can't be put to the ground controllably, reliably, and comfortably in street trim (i.e. pump gas with tires that will get the car safely home in a rain storm).

Certainly, I would love to know more about transmission modifications and drivetrain durability issues.

Can't wait to see some timeslips on that beast!
Old 10-23-02, 11:52 AM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

Here is a quick impression of driving the car with the Twins compared to driving the same car with the supercharger(7.5lbs boost). I know everyone wants dyno numbers, but the car has NEW forged pistons, and has to be broken in properly, at a reasonable boost (3lbs of boost for now)!

1st Factor: Power (Seat of your pants feel)
The SC unit was at 7.5lbs of boost, the TT is max'ed at 3lbs now.
When I got my SC installed; Moe, myself, and 3 other people (about 700lbs extra) climbed into my car. Moe hit the gas, there was a slight pause, the SC started whining, and then ZOOM!!! Tires squealing, with a steady quick increase of our backs being pushed into the chair! This was a 7.5lbs of boost! Same situation happened with the TT. Moe, is driving again, five people in the car (about 700lbs extra), and hits the gas. That familiar stock torque push I remembered from my stock GS4 engine, started pushing us back, then INSTANTLY, BAM!!!!! I do mean INSTANT, and I do mean BAM! Instant push into the seats, tires squealing trying to grip, and everyone holding on. No delay at all! Just like a bam-BAM type of acceleration. The best part is that the boost controll held it at the set 3lbs of boost! Only 3lbs!!!! I can honestly say that the TT setup felt stronger with less boost. The car had the TRD LSD with both setups. The cool thing is that I can program the boost to come in at different intervals, depending on mph! I can basically "boost tune" the car, so that I can eliminate wheelspin, AND the dreaded rev limiter!!!!

2nd: Noise Factor

As you may know the supercharger was always running, thus always making noise. Now, I liked the noise of all that air being blown into the engine. Kinda sounded like a jet engine when I started it up with the supercharger installed at 7.5lbs boost. Now with the twin turbos, the engine purrs. On the inside of the car, no radio on, there is no noise at all. It sounds stock. The only little noise you can hear is on the outside of the car when you first start it cold. The pistons made a little 'ping-ping' noise when I started the car. I only noticed because I had my ear next to the hood checking for ANY strange noises. This disappeared in less than a minute, when the car warmed up. Anyone that has dealt with forged pistons, knows that these pistons need a little time to warm up and expand, thus the noise was the pistons expanding. When you stomp on the gas, there is still not alot of noise (surprisely), outside of the tires squealing. Since the turbos are at the front, you don't hear them, but this quietness may go away when I increase the boost pass 3lbs max. Also the blowoff is located at the front, near the ENORMOUS intercooler (check the pics), so I didn't hear it, as much as I did with the SC, BUT the people standing OUTSIDE the car heard it, and were very excited!!!

3rd Factor: Stealth Factor
With the SC, it was kinda hard to roll up on someone, peel out past them, and they NOT know you had something under your engine. With the TT, with normal chill-type driving, no one is the wiser!

So there is my quick review, so far. There has not been any heating issue (SRT Laser heat checked all of the Critical parts after many mild-hard, and semi-long drives: exhaust piping, turbos, wiring, Lexus ecu box, etc; and protected those items accordly using the best heatshielding products (same type used on drag cars).

The dyno number should confirm my a$$ gauge! lol I just hate waiting on breaking the engine in properly, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

Lee

Last edited by LexCiting; 10-24-02 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-23-02, 12:42 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Friggin Amazing!!!
Might I inquire as to estimated pricing?

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 10-23-02 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-23-02, 12:44 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Originally posted by LexCiting
awesome comparison deleted
Lee
If only my wife wouldn't leave me if I told here I just "needed" the TT. Very cool to have the new beasts out on the road!

Congratulations.
Old 10-23-02, 12:45 PM
DHALL
Driver School Candidate

I don't know if Muhammed remembers me, but my girlfriends brother got his GS400 supercharged by SRT, and that thing is BAD ***. I can't imagine the TT set up. My hats are off to you guys, it looks like you have a VERY bright future. Congrats!!!!
Old 10-23-02, 01:31 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome stuff.
A big CONGRATS to SRT!!!
Old 10-23-02, 02:24 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Ebanks
You know, I am glad that everyone here is 1000x more mature than on other forums, where they go into tantrums when you question anything.

I really hope to someday be able to meet up with everyone at some sort of national meet or something. I will host it in KC if you guys want, it is dead center in the middle of the country

-Ethan
Congrats SRT!!!! Ahead of the pack once again..... In a business like yours, when everyone is "hating", your probably doing something RIGHT!
The only thing I hate is the fact that I cant afford the TT set-up...

Ethan and Mariusz??? Are you guys about to kiss? If so tell me so I can leave the room!!!! J/K J/K! hahahahaha
Old 10-23-02, 03:18 PM
JYOO

Thumbs down

I have a comlaint, how come theres no good pics of the actual turbo? All i see is pipes, please take some pics of the actual turbo please.

Old 10-23-02, 05:20 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by JYOO
I have a comlaint, how come theres no good pics of the actual turbo? All i see is pipes, please take some pics of the actual turbo please.
Ummm, the turbos are tucked under all that piping work. I can see a little bit of each one myself if you're doubting that they actually exist.
Old 10-23-02, 06:18 PM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

There will be pics of the turbos OUT of the car posted shortly. The thing is that SRT doesn't want other companies "biting" their design. Lets just say this. It is named accordingly. If you have ever seen a scorpion. The two huge claws in the front (turbos), and the long tail in the back (exit exhaust piping).

Lee
Old 10-23-02, 06:25 PM
LexusL
Rookie

Congrats to SRT and you for a MEAN MACHINE you got, I bet that you won't be seeing any cars rearend. DYNO!!!!! PRICES!!!!

Last edited by LexusL; 10-23-02 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-23-02, 08:21 PM
LexFather

I CANNOT WAIT to see times. M5 killa with Lexus reliability, I LOVE IT..

So I gotta sell my lil sister or what????

Old 10-23-02, 10:36 PM
pete
Driver School Candidate

So I gotta sell my lil sister or what????
UPDATE:FAMILY MEMBERS NOT APPLICABLE

Mo, J/K....
Once again, "GOSH DARNIT", Great JOB!!!!
Old 10-24-02, 01:35 PM
onefastjap
Rookie

Can't wait till Mariusz gets his car back. I will have a lot of problems keeping up since the best I could run so far on street tires was 12.9 @ 116 with 2.2 60' time. Mo, please hurry up with his car so we can hit the streets before the snow shows up J/K
Well, I can't wait, TTGS400. Mmmmmmmmm, if I could come up with the extra cash, let's see, what could I sell (This is me thinking) Congratulation on this bountiful set up. And please post the DYNO numbers.

Quick Reply: For Immediate Press Release!