Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Twin Turbo GS4. For Immediate Press Release!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-02, 02:16 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Some people expect/demand OEM level of reliability. These people should NOT modify their engine/transmission. To my knowledge there are NO 500rwhp factory available vehicles. The new Viper with 500hp at the engine probably makes 425-450rwhp with over 8 liters.

Turbos are VERY reliable but can easily flow enough air mass to induced major detonation and destroy an engine very quickly if not controlled.

Building engines with aftermarket pistons can range from highly reliable to not reliable depending on materials and construction. Break in proceedures vary but most agree that a gradual break in is best. A complete rebuild of a 32v V8 and 5 speed automatic tranny is VERY expensive. A twin turbo system is very expensive. If this was my car I would be doing what Lexciting is and taking things slow.

Once this car is ready for real dyno time, and if it makes 500+rwhp... I have a feeling that many will not be concerned with the low volume of production or the limited R&D time to date.
Old 10-30-02, 11:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,410 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally posted by LexCiting
Man, Bit, I didn't know your car had a SRT TT in it? Wow, and to think, I thought I was the first one to have it. The way you are talking about "haven't put it through any paces yet", and "it's gonna be a while before the thing is reliable for sale", you must work at SRT. You said SRT built ONE engine, eh? Hmmmm that's funny. I could have SWORN that I saw 2 engines being built (Ken/Mariusz) as we speak, but you know better, right? You did say "If they've built ONE ENGINE / TRANNY this way"

So define "a while before the thing is reliable"? What is "a while"? How long was your TT setup in R&D? How long was it in the testing/tuning phase? What boost are you running for your setup? I mean if you are going to make statements like you KNOW, then enlighten us, or me at least.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

~this is grown "folk" conversation
Thanks for the sarcasm. OK, maybe *I'm* confused because in the 'press release' it says:

SRT is proud to announce the release of “The Scorpion”[/b]
To me a 'released' product doesn't mean one that a few owners have agreed to be guineapigs for. It means it's already been broken in, tested and results released.

But anyway, I've obviously not made my point since no one seems to agree.

DrRick - I think you're right, the product isn't "released" it's just being tested and *pictures* have been released to whet peoples' appetites.

Anyway, I'm really glad SRT is building this - I just think it was too soon to make an announcement of releasing the product if there's no specs.