Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
Old 12-16-14, 12:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides

Print Wikipost

F-Sport Exhaust Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-12, 03:53 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Beshears
Does it really get tamer or do you just get used to it? I prefer the upgrade exhaust tips from Sewell which gives you the look without the noise. The very best sound comes from the ISF, that is very nice but big bucks.
Quoted from another forum:
It should be completely broken in in about 1000 miles of driving. The fiberglass packing that is stuffed into the mufffler case is soaked in a varnish or hair spray like substance.
This hair spray like substance is used to help make handling during the manufacturing process easier and safer.

It makes handling easier because the fiberglass strands stick together and conglomerrate so fiberglass particles don't go flying all over the place during the manufacturing process.

When you drive your car, the varnish like substance is burned off the fiberglass and all the fibers become free from eachother and become better able to attenuate sound waves.

A break in will only make the muffler quieter... not louder.
Old 02-28-12, 06:38 PM
pdpgps
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips guys. I guess the sound is bearable for some and not for others.

My friend (a former TSXclub member like myself) drove my car around the block so I could hear what my car sounded like for the first time as an outsider. Coming from his new g37, he was a fan of the looks and deep sound of the exhaust. From a distance the car sounds good under full throttle but slow acceleration is just loud.
Old 02-28-12, 09:04 PM
two2tone
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pdpgps
Thanks for the tips guys. I guess the sound is bearable for some and not for others.

My friend (a former TSXclub member like myself) drove my car around the block so I could hear what my car sounded like for the first time as an outsider. Coming from his new g37, he was a fan of the looks and deep sound of the exhaust. From a distance the car sounds good under full throttle but slow acceleration is just loud.
Mind as well sell it $500? I'll take it
Old 02-29-12, 05:20 AM
pdpgps
Rookie

^haha low baller!
Old 02-29-12, 08:25 AM
yoegster
Driver

I put mine on about 200 miles ago. It takes getting used to. PDPGPS' review is good. However, I don't think it is distracting to the passenger. Now...sitting in the back seat is a different story - my daughter is not a fan.
I think the biggest "issue" is the difference. It takes you from stock which is soooo bad and not sporty to a really deep, throaty exhaust. I am glad it is quiet at idle and when cruising silent as well.

Last edited by yoegster; 02-29-12 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-29-12, 10:54 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Chances are, if you don't like the noise level now, then you probably won't like it later.

If you want quiet, you can go with a nicer exhaust tip. Many people had custom S2000 exhaust tips installed on their stock exhaust.

Aftermarket exhaust is mainly installed for sound... HP gains is pretty small (5-10 HP).

If you want a quieter exhaust, you can try Tanabe. I am happy with it... you can barely notice it until you step on the gas hard. But as you said, take a ride with someone who has Tanabe first....
Old 02-29-12, 03:09 PM
two2tone
Lead Lap

^haha low baller!
was worth a try , I just didn't want to shell out 1k for an exhaust... thats just way too much
Old 02-29-12, 06:20 PM
pdpgps
Rookie

Day 3:

The exhaust is growing on me. I've actually stopped driving as spiritedly so I don't rev the exhaust up all the time. Slower starts from a stop (helps save on gas too!), I've noticed my MPGs go up by 2. Coincidence? What a difference driving habits make. Car has a nice low purr when its stopped.
Old 02-29-12, 06:29 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Day 3:

The exhaust is growing on me. I've actually stopped driving as spiritedly so I don't rev the exhaust up all the time. Slower starts from a stop (helps save on gas too!), I've noticed my MPGs go up by 2. Coincidence? What a difference driving habits make. Car has a nice low purr when its stopped.
Hey mikey I think he likes it hah
Old 02-29-12, 06:37 PM
pdpgps
Rookie

Originally Posted by two2tone
was worth a try , I just didn't want to shell out 1k for an exhaust... thats just way too much
Gotta pay to play!
Old 02-29-12, 06:38 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish I had an F sport . . enjoy it while you have it
Old 03-01-12, 06:07 AM
pdpgps
Rookie

added video clips to first post.
Old 03-01-12, 09:28 AM
yoegster
Driver

told you .....and it interesting to hear it may get a bit more quit. While a bit loader at low RPMs than excpected - it is soooo much better than stock.
Old 03-01-12, 12:00 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Less restriction will mean a gain in MPG as well.
Old 03-02-12, 07:46 AM
ISPanda
Rookie

Originally Posted by dorkacho
I wish I had an F sport . . enjoy it while you have it
Lol you sold your's to me! I can sell out back to you... For a profit.. Bwahahahaha . =P

Quick Reply: F-Sport Exhaust Review