Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

best gs300 intake and header?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-12, 09:02 PM
PUREgs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best gs300 intake and header?

i was just wanted to get some opinions on which is the best intake(cai or sri)? best headers? for overall appearance and performance. thanks
Old 03-22-12, 06:08 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Mazzuri Headers were the only one's with proven gains, but I believe they are no longer being made. The OBX, Megan, Top Speed, and couple other ebay branded headers are all the same for the most part. A few members have installed these with decent reporting of fitment and installation.

Intake isn't gonna really do anything for these cars as far as actual performance, except maybe the srt with the trim module they include.

Headers, full exhaust, and any ol ebay intake pipe with a filter paired with something like a SAFC or Apexi NEO and tuned for your car would gain you much more power than the SRT intake and thier fixed module.

You can buy an intake and SAFC for less than the SRT intake kit, and get better results. Keep in mind you will need someone to tune the car a little, but SAFC's are quick and easy..

It should make the car more responsive if do all that, but don't expect it be fast by any stretch still. Headers and full exhaust would make it sound great though.
Old 03-22-12, 09:34 PM
PUREgs
Pole Position

Thanks for the info. Is the reason why because of the sensors? That's why you have to run a afc or a module right? And all the headers don't get that much gain? Is there a reason for that?
Old 03-23-12, 12:09 AM
TooGoode
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PUREgs
Thanks for the info. Is the reason why because of the sensors? That's why you have to run a afc or a module right? And all the headers don't get that much gain? Is there a reason for that?
The srt intake is a larger diameter intake tube than the factor one. Being so, more un-metered air is passing by it. The computer needs some sort of compensation for that. There isn't much power gain though. In my opinion, the 2jzge is built from the factory with most of the power already squeezed out of it.

Short of a full na build (high compression, ported heads, valves, cames, tunes, ect) you won't see any major power gains without some sort of forced induction. Even fully built n/a, the amount of money it costs, just isn't worth it from the power perspective. Although my 2jzge in my current 99 gs300 is temporary, and i knew i couldn't squeeze much power out of it,'

i just went with the cheapest route to squeeze power out of it. Ebay $20 intake, i deleted my factory cats and put straight pipes in place. (The stock manifold -cats actually flows very well and is much better quality than you would find on ebay.). I also just ran a modified factory y pipe back g35 exhaust i had lying around.

So my exhaust setup actually made me money, and power. I scrapped the cats for $190, welded straight pipes in -$10, and modified my g35 exhaust i had. So i have from $20 intake and filter, to cat deleted factory manifolds, stock downpipe with stock resonator, to factory g35 resonator, and after than straight 3" pipe. It was more than free, and i even got paid doing it, and i actually did notice a very nice response change after the mods. It wans't anything more than 20hp, but enough to feel.

Although it it still incredibly slow, it sounds simply amazing. The calsonic nissan resonator along with the factory straight through resonator and 3" piping make it sound very exotic and unique. Has the amazing 2jz sound with the slight purr of an infiniti.
Old 03-23-12, 12:12 AM
TooGoode
Driver School Candidate

Also, i forgot to mention, with my cat delete, i expected cel's, but after finding out that my fuel line is pinched in two spots, along with my warlbros, im actually running just lean enough for the secondary o2 to think the cat is still there. My wideband shows 13.0 afrs under a full load, so im at least not running lean enough to hurt anything.
Old 03-23-12, 01:03 AM
PUREgs
Pole Position

Nice info thanks.....probably just it keep it stock and go forced inducted later on. MAYBE I might just add a intake lol. That's a crazy exhaust combo....love the infinite sound.
Old 03-23-12, 05:49 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by PUREgs
Using an safc is what will squeeze the power out of those mods.

NA 2jz's just don't respond to much to mods. If I was dead set on running and keeping a na 2j I would do individual throttle bodies, then you can talk about sounding nasty nasty...

The thing is anything you do to the NA 2j will cost as much or more than going NA-T or GTE swap.
Old 03-23-12, 05:52 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best air intake is the stock intake. Quiet and good midrange torque.