Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GS400/430 Test pipes??

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-12, 06:45 PM
92sc250tt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS400/430 Test pipes??

I have been searching for the past few days for a set of Catalytic converter delete pipes (test pipes) and have not been able to find a company that makes them. Is there a company who produces these?? I would prefer not to gut my cats just in case I ever want to put them back on. Are there any performance gains to be seen with these? Do the after market headers for our cars delete the cats? Sorry for all of the questions, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: also, are there good aftermarket engine mounts for the GS's? Will the SC400 mounts work on a GS? I'm pretty sure my mounts are pretty much gone. (Low idle, less responsive, more vibration, etc....)

Last edited by 92sc250tt; 04-09-12 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-09-12, 10:45 PM
818GS
Lead Lap

you can always remove your cats and put them back on whenever you want. Just got to weld them back on.
Old 04-10-12, 12:17 PM
kdick91
Driver

The cats unbolt, why bother welding? With stock manifolds, you should see minimal to no gain. The factory manifolds are the bottleneck. The car is also not tuned to run without cats. I have a host of de-catted cars that are raced and I can speak off first hand experience, you need some adjustment for almost every modification you make. If you're dead set of decatting your stock Lexus have an exhaust shop make you a test pipe. After laughing at you, they should only charge a couple hundred dollars.
Old 04-10-12, 12:19 PM
kdick91
Driver

Originally Posted by 92sc250tt
Edit: also, are there good aftermarket engine mounts for the GS's? Will the SC400 mounts work on a GS? I'm pretty sure my mounts are pretty much gone. (Low idle, less responsive, more vibration, etc....)
Also the motor mounts are not going to effect the idle or the responsiveness (well, BARELY). With the age of the car, I can tell you the mounts are probably worn. As of now, you can either go a custom route or just get stock replacement. Which, for your power levels, will be fine.
Old 04-10-12, 12:20 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 118 Likes on 88 Posts

Thats true.

Originally Posted by kdick91
The cats unbolt, why bother welding? With stock manifolds, you should see minimal to no gain. The factory manifolds are the bottleneck. The car is also not tuned to run without cats. I have a host of de-catted cars that are raced and I can speak off first hand experience, you need some adjustment for almost every modification you make. If you're dead set of decatting your stock Lexus have an exhaust shop make you a test pipe. After laughing at you, they should only charge a couple hundred dollars.
Old 04-10-12, 04:35 PM
92sc250tt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kdick91
I do not want to have to weld the cats in, I just want a test pipe that bolts in the stock location. I am planning to change out the stock manifolds as well, but I have found plenty of info on those so I don't need to ask any questions about them. As far as tuning goes, I plan to do that as well. A good friend of mine is a tuner, He tuned my 546whp S2000. I'm planning to run a small shot of nitrous on my GS and figured it probably wasn't a good idea to keep the stock catalytic converters. My buddy can make me a set of test pipes if I need them, but I just wanted to see if there was an easier route before I have him do it. (He does fabrication and tuning, but focuses most of his time on tuning)

As far as the engine mounts go, They can cause Excessive vibration, loss in power, and a low idle. When the rubber in the mount wears out/ tears the engine shifts a lot more than normal. When the engine moves you lose power/responsiveness due to the drivetrain flex. I was just wanting to know if there was an aftermarket replacement already. The way I see it is when something wears out, Replace it with something better. I don't like to spend money on parts that just keep my car stock.

Thanks for the help, It's looking like they don't make s%!t for these things! haha