Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Where Do You Usually Set Your ECT?
Power, baby! Gas mileage be damned, I want performance!
45.79%
Normal; it provides the proper balance between acceleration and economy.
49.49%
Snow, because I hate starting in first gear.
0.34%
Eee see WHAT?
4.38%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Where Do You Usually Set Your ECT?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-02, 12:55 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where Do You Usually Set Your ECT?

I have to admit that I keep mine in PWR mode all the time! In fact, after the last time I went in for service I thought the car was a little sluggish until I realized the "ECT PWR" light wasn't on the dash--the tech must have put it back to normal. I guess that setting really DOES make a difference!
Old 11-01-02, 01:07 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

I'm waiting for the day the light burns out!
Old 11-01-02, 05:24 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Pleeezzz... gas mileage? I would be surprised if there is 1/2mpg difference. I think the main difference is when a geriatric driver accelerates if it revs to high they would get scared and think there was something wrong with the car. Really, it only revs if you signal brisk acceleration with the right foot. Otherwise, upshifting occurs at low rpms. Maybe some older people have trouble with smooth operation of the left foot and need the computer to help them drive...

I will say that there are times I switch to snow mode so that it is smooth on stop and go rush our traffic. Why oh why Lexus couldn't figure out how to blend the snow mode smooth takeoff with the reg/pwr settings is beyond me.
Old 11-01-02, 05:55 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your right gas mileage pleazzz! I throw on the pwr when I like to feel a lil extra muscle on my car, I normally keep it off, to save myself the rush, keeping it on would make me want to drive like I'm on a race track (maniac) or something.....
Old 11-01-02, 08:31 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't need the PWR when basically all I do is just cruise down the road anyways. Thumbs up the Gas Milleage.
Old 11-02-02, 06:03 AM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i usually keep my car on normal since i'm drivin in the city most of the time... and no need for me to show off that i can get first on next red light.. its ok.. i let other do this .. but if i see road is clear.. i step on it could care less for gas.. if i ran out of gas i know where i can get some more of gas
Old 11-04-02, 06:19 AM
eppan
Pole Position

Just wondering if shifting to 4 accomplishes the same as clicking on pwr ect (For those that don't have eShift).
Old 11-04-02, 12:00 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my ECT on 'Normal' for the first 2 weeks I drove my GS; just getting accustomed to teh Power was unreal. After I learned the charateristics of teh transmission, and realized what a pot of gold I had purchased, ECT has been set to 'PWR' ever since.

eppan: no, the PWR setup keeps the transmission in each gear longer / higher RPM, and does not lock out 5th gear at all.
Old 12-01-02, 07:14 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default PWR!

For the longest time Its been on PWR - I say almost 4 years now! HAHAHA LOL
Recently- I thought I try NORMAL for Gas mileage sake since I'm just cruising around.. Its very smooth like a LS400 in Normal but yet when i crank down on it - it doesn't feel solid as a GS should be - I just went back to PWR MODE after my 2 week trial of Normal. IF I 'm ever traveling and need better gas mileage- I'll always have normal..

QWK
Old 12-03-02, 11:51 PM
roenick7
Driver

PWR ALL the time.

I was told after having it hooked to the computer it also advances timing at the same time it increases the rpm shift point higher.

GAS MILEAGE is @ 300miles/tank w/ a supercharger and PWR - 91 oct.
Old 02-01-03, 11:52 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

PWR mode does nothing for me because I'm always using the E-Shift... So very seldon it'll be on....
Old 02-12-03, 07:32 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Actually, the PWR setting is also important in downshifting. Yes, it will allow the engine to go to almost redline when under full throttle acceleration but it also causes the tranny to downshift with less throttle and to a lower gear than otherwise would be the case. Under light load cruising conditions NML and PWR are EXACTLY the same RPM and power. There is NO mpg improvement. Now, when you decide to overtake... it will respond quicker... If you do this a LOT... mpg will be slightly lower. As for me, I don't want to be caught in NML should an "emergency" arise
Old 12-20-03, 08:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I'm with you jbrady and agree PWR mode makes downshifts easier. Between PWR mode, the 2800rpm TC and the shorter final gear due to my Torsen diff, the gas pedal on my car is practically a hair trigger to downshift.
Old 12-21-03, 08:23 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

I leave mine in 'NORMAL" mode....

coz the "POWER" mode

is

just

plain

scary!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-22-03, 12:13 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

I'm on normal most of the time.
Gas prices here are just scary.

Quick Reply: Where Do You Usually Set Your ECT?