Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS350 Revision S/C

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-13, 01:05 PM
PAVGR
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mikellucci
Hey man, I've been meaning to get back to your message! Have you started your build? You are friends with Elias, right? If you need fabrication parts, I'd be happy to help you.

This Rotrex is actually the blower the HKS setup utilizes....or one trim larger then the HKS blower. The plots are pretty spot on for our engine. Check out what Stew ended up with if you haven't already. We've been back and forth on our projects for a long time now!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...350-dynod.html

Curve:

I havent started anything yet.I just wanted to see if rotrex is better than the LMS kit.I believe that it is and i think that if i make the step with Rotrex i will leave Elias behind.I forgot that you have the 350 thats why i said this Rotrex is to big for our cars with such a low boost.I would go with C30-94
Old 04-01-13, 12:01 PM
Mishaari
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great job man
Old 04-01-13, 03:30 PM
TrueStreet
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking good, can't wait for the next progress update!
Old 04-04-13, 06:10 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Mike is the Rotrex fed oil from the engine oil? I assume that's what the braided line is on it for.
Old 09-07-13, 01:01 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Another summer has come and "almost" gone.
Dyno'd 372whp and 332wtq at 7psi

More to come

Last edited by mikellucci; 09-07-13 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-09-13, 07:17 AM
TrueStreet
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love how it's only 7psi to make that kind of power. Good job man, if there was one thing you could change what would it be?
Old 09-09-13, 02:54 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Originally Posted by TrueStreet
I love how it's only 7psi to make that kind of power. Good job man, if there was one thing you could change what would it be?
Thanks
I would have went with a rotrex unit from the start.. I learned a lot about the motor dicking around with prochargers but I also wasted a nice chunk of money in turn.

No regrets, the car runs exactly like stock with tons more HP. It runs smoother than many protuned cars I had making similar power.

I wish it could make better use of methanol but I'm digging more into that aspect as we speak.
Old 09-10-13, 08:53 PM
stewb10
Driver

Mike, you give me great hope. With your dyno, I think we ohio boys may make it to 400whp in these cars, with the right tuning and maybe some PPE headers. You're energizing me to dump some resources into this MAPECU setup I'm working on. May have to wait until spring though to get it all finished though!
Old 09-12-13, 06:14 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikellucci
Another summer has come and "almost" gone.
Dyno'd 372whp and 332wtq at 7psi

More to come
Solid numbers Mike I'm finally getting around to meth injection (at the end of summer ) but i think my BOV is leaking boost pressure right now, so need to address that first.
Old 09-12-13, 01:28 PM
stewb10
Driver

Originally Posted by heyarms
Solid numbers Mike I'm finally getting around to meth injection (at the end of summer ) but i think my BOV is leaking boost pressure right now, so need to address that first.
Just a heads up as you go down that road, careful about running too much water/meth during winter months Adam. Both mike and I have had misfires that we think may be linked back to this issue. It's to the point where I do my best to stay under ~4psi in winter when spraying. Both of us are running plugs in good condition and both of us have had the issue.
Old 09-13-13, 06:07 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stewb10
Just a heads up as you go down that road, careful about running too much water/meth during winter months Adam. Both mike and I have had misfires that we think may be linked back to this issue. It's to the point where I do my best to stay under ~4psi in winter when spraying. Both of us are running plugs in good condition and both of us have had the issue.
Thanks for the heads up. "Winter" here in Houston consists of a few days with a low in the 30's, and mostly lows in the 40-50's though, haha. The kit I'm installing does the progressive spraying, so I will have it start spraying around 3.5psi and it will ramp up to 100% spray by time it hits full boost around 7.5psi. If you arent running the progressive spray, maybe it's just too much meth at once when intake temperatures arent very high to begin with? I'm brand new into this territory so just a guess.
Old 09-13-13, 07:13 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Thanks guys.
You'll be moving UP in power before I do. I'm addressing some potential inefficiencies with the system...I think there's room for additional improvement before I start trying to tune the beast!

One thing I've really been looking at is IATs with and w/out injection. This car and s/c heats up quick and is VERY slow to cool. I find injecting (even progressively) at 2psi is too much for the engine to efficiently use....at least with my driving habits...I'm hitting 2psi at quick throttle blips.

The goal is to make power efficiently and effectively not just a dyno number. Without getting into to much detail right now Ill be looking into an air to water intercooler.

I'm also moving to a Tial 50mm bov. In past experience I found Tial using a 3lb spring does a great job at keeping the valve open at idle...this will help by dissipating hot air and not having it expand further to the FMIC. Also, it should blow off properly at all boost levels up to 8psi. I am not happy with the performance in the HKS ssqv in this application...Synapse either.
Old 09-13-13, 10:01 AM
stewb10
Driver

Originally Posted by heyarms
Thanks for the heads up. "Winter" here in Houston consists of a few days with a low in the 30's, and mostly lows in the 40-50's though, haha. The kit I'm installing does the progressive spraying, so I will have it start spraying around 3.5psi and it will ramp up to 100% spray by time it hits full boost around 7.5psi. If you arent running the progressive spray, maybe it's just too much meth at once when intake temperatures arent very high to begin with? I'm brand new into this territory so just a guess.
Ah yes. I forget that not everyone lives in the arctic of Ohio. I found that i started running into issues around 45 degrees. Definitely below 40 I stay under 5psi.

Mike, this is news to me. Very interesting. We should plan to get these things to the track in spring! I'll probably be on DRs when i go, so you're more than welcome to toss em on for a couple passes and see where we end up.

I'm going to be focused on attacking it from a tuning perspective, and ill being going for more of an all around, area under the curve, "1/4mi tune" than a "peaky" dyno queen tune. Though if its close and i have to sacrifice some area for 400whp, thats the way it'll have to be :P

If i can figure out where you're squeezing that 372 out of, I'm thinking that 25-30whp is doable. Even if that means machining that coveted 77.5mm pulley to get it :P

Last edited by stewb10; 09-13-13 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-15-13, 03:49 AM
PetesSweet
Pole Position

This may have been asked but how much did final costs come to? I have a 06 IS350 as well and I'd rather save up yo build a SC kit as well than save up for an ISF as ISFs still going for over 32k on the internet whereas I scored my 06 is350 fully loaded with 80k miles for 16k
Old 10-22-13, 01:04 AM
PetesSweet
Pole Position

What torque are you running? All I see is HP being listed....

Quick Reply: IS350 Revision S/C