Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

JOE-Z intake pipe got extremely hot at the racetrack

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-12, 03:02 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default JOE-Z intake pipe got extremely hot at the racetrack

I don't know if it was from the vehicle sitting for a bit with the hood up, or if it is just because it is a metal pipe lying right on top of the cylinder head...it was so hot it almost burnt my hand touching it...I was also running the vehicle without the engine cover and the side covers as well, don't know if that affected anything.

Wondering if anyone else has noticed this, and also if an idea like heat-wrap would help keep the pipe cool and prevent it from heating up the cold(er) air from the stock airbox...any other ideas would be much appreciated.
Old 06-25-12, 04:10 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Heat soak...very common on a SRI. Try a ceramic coating or a wrinkle finish to combat the heat.
Old 06-25-12, 06:07 PM
azndriver
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I vote as well ceramic coating the intake pipe itself...

now question is this going into the OEM intake box

or a cone filter w/ some sort of shield (if this, consider wrapping the shield with DEI Gold Foil)

actually for overkill, on top of the ceramic coating, also run the DEI gold foil as well
Old 06-26-12, 11:09 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

GUYS…..

FYI: Everything metal in the engine bay is extremely HOT after Driving & Parking....
It will be HOTTER after racing too...

*** Please don't burn your hands by touching HOT parts inside the engine bay..

If you touch the intake pipe while driving the air inside the pipe is always cooler and never has time to heat up..
Since the air is NEVER stagnant...

^^ Please use caution, before attempting the above..

Thank You

~ Joe Z
Old 06-26-12, 11:24 AM
adrr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe Z
GUYS…..

FYI: Everything metal in the engine bay is extremely HOT after Driving & Parking....
It will be HOTTER after racing too...
Touch the hood of 335i after driving it hard. It can cause a nice little burn.
Old 06-26-12, 11:34 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Wink

Originally Posted by adrr
Touch the hood of 335i after driving it hard. It can cause a nice little burn.
Old 06-26-12, 02:24 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

^LOL! WIll you need to start putting this caution in the box along with the pipes now?
Old 06-27-12, 10:32 AM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As JoeZ himself stated, the air is passing through the intake so fast it doesn't have time to heat up. You don't need to worry about wrapping it, just don't touch it.
Old 06-27-12, 10:52 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by anthrax144
As JoeZ himself stated, the air is passing through the intake so fast it doesn't have time to heat up. You don't need to worry about wrapping it, just don't touch it.
It does indeed have time to heat up......

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ody-temps.html
Old 06-27-12, 11:32 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
It does indeed have time to heat up......

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ody-temps.html
YES,

Mostly with an OPEN ELEMENT INTAKE Design... which is already sucking in the HOTTER ENGINE BAY Air...

Opposed to the sealed ram air scoop bringing in outside air.

Moral of the story.. Don't touch Metal Parts in the Engine Bay after driving...

~ Joe Z
Old 06-27-12, 11:51 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

^---indeed! Didnt his momma tell him never to touch a hot stove?? I bet he did it anyway.....I did too.
Old 06-27-12, 12:34 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

It actually was the Mercedes techs at the track who pointed out the temperature of my "cold" air intake pipe, when they were checking the car over after the morning session...I am not in the habit of touching metal parts in a hot engine compartment, but thanks for the comments.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has noticed their intake pipe being that hot, and what we could possibly do to reduce the heat and keep the cold air cold...especially in situations like track events.
Old 06-27-12, 12:46 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

I built a dc run a/c compressor and controller system that was wrapped around the entirety of the intake that did quite a good job of cooling the incoming air charge by up to 30 degrees of ambient outside temps.That means ZERO heat soak as well as cooling beyond outside air temps. It was difficult to install, not very easy to maintain and eventually I abandoned the commercialized version of the device because of the cost and level of dfficulty to actually make it work well.

Despite lobux claiming that I wasnt doing anything of benefit and that the temperature drop was being offset by the fact that the motor had to work that much harder to pull the amperage to operate the system, it apparently did work.

Granted, that in a constantly runningin environment ( ie cruising at speed, etc) this may be true, the system's intent and design worked perfectly to allow you to use your idling engine, while waiting for your turn on the track or what not, to keep your intake substantially colder than someone idling their engine without the system. I'm sure you could see the benefit of running the system to maintain a truly cold air intake, and then cutting the power right before your run so that maximum engine output was directed towards the wheels and not towards peripherals. This would allow you to briefly provide an incoming air charge that would be probably 50-80 degrees cooler than your competition, which is an obvious advantage. So does nitrous, but it gets expensive after awhile of constantly refilling your bottle....so it was shelved.

In fact, just the other day I thought of it fondly, as I set there watching my intake temps breach 150 degrees while waiting to run the 1/4 mile and in between runs.....

I have consider a different version of the device that would use a easily obtainable compressed gas(CO2) to affect the same outcome while being safer and cheaper than nitrous, but my time and money has been and will be directed elsewhere for now.

Last edited by 06isDriver; 06-27-12 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-27-12, 01:26 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb FYI for All...

Originally Posted by quick123
It actually was the Mercedes techs at the track who pointed out the temperature of my "cold" air intake pipe, when they were checking the car over after the morning session...I am not in the habit of touching metal parts in a hot engine compartment, but thanks for the comments.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has noticed their intake pipe being that hot, and what we could possibly do to reduce the heat and keep the cold air cold...especially in situations like track events.
Well, the intake and its design are never sold with "Cold Air Intake Pipe" in the description..

Other than some wrap, there really isn't anything that needs to done to cool the pipes exterior surface..
The Air inside is NEVER there long enough to heat up more than a few degrees compared to the ambient outside temps...

At WOT the air inside the ram air scoop, airbox & pipe is literally SUCKED up quicker than a blink of an eye..!!

~ Joe Z
Old 06-27-12, 02:48 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

I have to disagree, I watched my intake temps at the track the other night and it was 88 degrees outside and my data logging read 105 at its lowest point during the run.

It does drop dramatically from an idle, but still its hotter than just a few degrees off ambient

Quick Reply: JOE-Z intake pipe got extremely hot at the racetrack