Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

custome y or x pipe worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-12, 10:30 AM
maticcis
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custome y or x pipe worth it?

hello everyone, lately ive been racking my brain with ways to make my IS350 sound better and gain a few ponies out of its exhaust other than buying the exhausts already made which add little to no power gains. now i know that this car is horrible for modding and getting any gains, but i figured besides headers having a custom ypipe from the resonator back or have a true duel built for the car would be the best way to go about this lack of HP problem.
my question's stand, would it be worth it? has anyone done it? how much dose someone think this would run me?
thanks!
maticcis
Old 07-07-12, 11:55 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

There's like 93 different axle-back exhaust available already. All of em add roughly the same 7 hp to the car. A custom one won't be any different.

You can't touch anything forward of the resonator if you still want to pass emissions.
(and even if you could, full true-dual exhausts all the way back only give you another 1-3 hp compared to the axle-back, so not even remotely worth it hp wise)

Headers from PPE will give you 10-15, but again, illegal in all 50 states for use on public roads.

Last edited by Kurtz; 07-07-12 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-07-12, 12:01 PM
maticcis
Rookie

i am aware of the axel backs, but to be honest i dont like the way any of them sound, besides f-sport, and thats just to much money for what it is. not to mention, i dont like the invidia midpipe and ive herd megans is worse. So it sounds to me like i should have a ypipe build from the resonator back , Also i was told that the axel backs really wont even add 7hp, more like 2-3 in reality for most of them
Old 07-07-12, 12:01 PM
maticcis
Rookie

and thouse ppe headers will be the next preformance mod after this exhaust
Old 07-08-12, 07:23 PM
maticcis
Rookie

bump, could use some more feedback
Old 07-08-12, 08:41 PM
azndriver
Driver

Just going custom exhaust would be quiet pricey then a setup out of the box...
due to all the labour needed to get it done...

with sound wise, what are you looking at? Something quiet? Something loud?

Other then that, best setup IMO would be a custom x-pipe setup (dynomax or flowmaster makes a universal kit) with resonators + secondary cat delete and an aftermarket exhaust company of your choice...

But if money is no object, custom x-pipe w/ secondary cat delete + resontaors, custom true dual exhaust setup w/ two 4" Round Magnaflow Race Mufflers w/ S2K Tips should get you a slight slight gain then any aftermarket exhaust and at the same time loud as hell...

otherwise...its just a exhaust setup and with the headers, you will get the gains, key to any gain is getting a custom tune
Old 07-08-12, 09:02 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by azndriver
key to any gain is getting a custom tune
No tune for these cars!!

On a side note, a custom mid pipe isn't that expensive. It's just bent pipe and welds. Could get that done at numerous places in Texas.
Old 07-15-12, 03:22 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just get an axleback for some sound...nothing will really boost the power much
even if you get a true dual catback...is still a v6 so won't benefit much

most people sc the is350 if they really want power but your spark plugs will constantly over heat
i have a friend who changed the computer and his is350 is ripping 400+ hp but same thing with the spark plugs so he can't drive it for long periods
Old 07-16-12, 06:28 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by reyoasian
just get an axleback for some sound...nothing will really boost the power much
even if you get a true dual catback...is still a v6 so won't benefit much

most people sc the is350 if they really want power but your spark plugs will constantly over heat
i have a friend who changed the computer and his is350 is ripping 400+ hp but same thing with the spark plugs so he can't drive it for long periods
Uh... what?

What exactly did he "change his computer" to?

And there's like 4 guys total with superchargers, but I've yet to hear of one "over heatting" his spark plugs... I'm not even sure what that means.

Most people who want more power just trade in for an IS-F.
Old 07-16-12, 07:29 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Uh... what?

What exactly did he "change his computer" to?

And there's like 4 guys total with superchargers, but I've yet to hear of one "over heatting" his spark plugs... I'm not even sure what that means.

Most people who want more power just trade in for an IS-F.
no sorry i meant he said he added some speed booster, didn't dyno but he beat quite a number of isf and m3 on the drag strip lol

i'm not from the states so duno wuts going on there but here in toronto i know of 2 is350 supercharged and both have spark plugs overheat after driving too hard or too long....9/10 times to the track it will happen

EDIT: is there different superchargers or w/e available that affects the car differently?

Last edited by reyoasian; 07-16-12 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-16-12, 07:45 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by reyoasian
no sorry i meant he some speed booster, didn't dyno but he beat quite a number of isf and m3 on the drag strip lol

i'm not from the states so duno wuts going on there but here in toronto i know of 2 is350 supercharged and both have spark plugs overheat after driving too hard or too long....9/10 times to the track it will happen

same with the ecu guy
Is speed booster supposedly some kind of tune? There is no tuning available for the IS. Please elaborate, or I will assume it's a big load of garbage like the rest of the new forum members speak of when first joining... And beating an F or m3 is possible even with an is250... If the other guys are sleeping at the wheel...
Old 07-17-12, 10:40 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by heyarms
Is speed booster supposedly some kind of tune? There is no tuning available for the IS. Please elaborate, or I will assume it's a big load of garbage like the rest of the new forum members speak of when first joining... And beating an F or m3 is possible even with an is250... If the other guys are sleeping at the wheel...
i don't know he says it's something he adds to the ecu/engine but i've never looked in his engine bay or did the mod with him so i can't elaborate
and no i am not new here
and if you want to assume it's big load of garbage that's fine because it's not my car so i'm not trying to prove anything here just giving OP idea based on his question if he is interested he would do rsearch and find out more detail himself because i definitely don't have details since (again) it's not my car

also, would u be proud of beating a F or M3 in a IS250 if the other driver is sleeping at the wheel, and go around telling people that? but if u actually raced the car and beat them, it would be a different story, right?

Last edited by reyoasian; 07-17-12 at 10:44 AM.