Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

TC Gains At Higher RPMs / Speeds?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-02, 07:14 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tc?

I know a torque converter puts much more power to the ground and that it helps significantly in both the 1/4 mile and 0-60 times, but how much will it help the 60-120 times?? For those of you with TC, do you notice a huge difference in acceleration when you hit the gas at 80??
Old 11-14-02, 08:55 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At those speeds, I'm guessing the primary benefit of the TC is that is allows for quicker downshifts and more punch just after the downshift. That is true though about all of the downshifts really. I havne't done any time trials for 60 to 120, so this is just from general driving experience.
Old 11-14-02, 10:49 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't have TC yet, but front knowing how TC work, the answer is: the TC get you to 60 faster, but no added effect on the higher band, when your rpm pass 3000 mark, the TC lock up, does not matter you have a stock TC or aftermarket.

gaining more speed fron 60-120 depend on the torque mutiplier, but that depend on the manufacture specs of the TC, many TC manufatures advertise of better torque multiplier. Thus, you may gain some speed with this, not much.

test it out and let us know, you can alway get the higher gear LSD, that will give you top speed for sure hee hee

Anh
Old 11-14-02, 07:18 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

The modified TC has a stall speed of roughly 2800rpm. It is also a lockup unit meaning under cruise conditions it has an internal clutch that stops the slight slipping that would otherwise occur. When you WOT the car from a cruise rpm the TC should unlock and allow a quicker rev thus producing the quicker downshift. The TC is also smaller in diameter and slightly lighter than stock and this allows quicker reving in the same manner of a lightened flywheel on a manual gearshift car. So, its main attribute is from a standing start but it does continue to enhance the performance even at higher RPMs.
Old 11-17-02, 07:17 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

I can say I have notice a change in my shifting at hwy speeds, It allows me to get the downshift punch!!!! I really notice the punch from a stand still the best though! If you get the TC you won't regret it one bit!
Old 11-18-02, 03:18 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Damn, I really can't wait to get my TC. I ordered one about 2 weeks ago but have yet to see it. I guess I am impatient. It makes it worse when every time I walk in my house I see a tranny cooler waiting to be installed.

Thanks for the replies guys....now I am more anxious than ever.
Old 11-19-02, 06:10 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up You'll love it!

UTGS400 – I just installed my transmission cooler last weekend. Be sure to download Tinygs’s instructions – they are really a big help. Biggest problem I had was getting my hand in through the fan blades to cut off the excess plastic that ties the cooler to the radiator. Otherwise, it was almost painless. The TC is everything that they said – wouldn’t want to do without it now. Have you already got the LSD installed? Don’t have mine yet and like Jacob said, tend leave a lot of S-03 rubber when I get on it too hard.
Old 11-19-02, 06:20 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Default Re: You'll love it!

Originally posted by garnet92
UTGS400 – I just installed my transmission cooler last weekend. Be sure to download Tinygs’s instructions – they are really a big help. Biggest problem I had was getting my hand in through the fan blades to cut off the excess plastic that ties the cooler to the radiator. Otherwise, it was almost painless. The TC is everything that they said – wouldn’t want to do without it now. Have you already got the LSD installed? Don’t have mine yet and like Jacob said, tend leave a lot of S-03 rubber when I get on it too hard.
I am actually having my mechanic install the tranny cooler...he told me he would do it for $20...I couldn't pass that up. Yes, I do already have the LSD installed so I should be good to go after my next round of installs. Well, I take that back, one of these days I will have buy a new air intake and get the big break upgrade.

Are you having that much trouble with traction w/o the LSD? I personally think the LSD does wonders when it comes to performance (turning that is).
Old 11-19-02, 06:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,535 Posts

UTGS400 - what LSD do you have, the TRD one?
Old 11-19-02, 06:36 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Originally posted by bitkahuna
UTGS400 - what LSD do you have, the TRD one?
Yes, I do have the TRD LSD. For those of you interested in the TRD LSD, be warned...installation is not cheap.
Old 11-19-02, 09:15 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally posted by UTGS400

Yes, I do have the TRD LSD. For those of you interested in the TRD LSD, be warned...installation is not cheap.
UTGS400, who in Austin is doing the installation of the LSD and TC for you? Are you still under warranty at all, and, if so, what's John Roberts think about all this?
Old 11-19-02, 09:57 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default $20.00 is a great deal!

I was prepared to pay $50 for install but Davenport couldn’t do it on Friday so I did it myself. The wheelspin isn’t a problem as long as I don’t floor it from a dead stop or have it in 2 around a corner – but, do need the LSD – I’ll probably go for the same one you got (TRD) – what kind of price range was install and was it from dealer or someone else? I haven't priced it yet from Davenport.
Old 11-19-02, 11:16 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Originally posted by SCWells72
UTGS400, who in Austin is doing the installation of the LSD and TC for you? Are you still under warranty at all, and, if so, what's John Roberts think about all this?
I have been having Jeff Bearden with Bearden automotive do the work on my car...at least the work that lexus won't do. John Roberts is a Lexus Master Mechanic who used to work for Lexus but decided to start his own company. He is very thorough and did an awesome job on my LSD install.

Secondly, yes my care is still under warranty and the only thing that the dealership might have a problem with is the TC. They actually refered me to Jeff for the work. FYI, the dealership would NOT touch the LSD. As far as my warranty goes, if I do have a problem, it is the dealerships resonsibility to show that the mod I made (non trd or l-tuned) is the cause of the problem. If I have a transmission problem, I might be screwed, but as most warranty issues with Lexus go, I don't have much to worry about. Plus, most transmission problems are caused by over heating. The new TC WILL run hotter than the factory LSD hence I am installing a tranny cooler. The tranny cooler I am installing is overkill so I shouldn't have to worry about overheating at all. I think the one I bought is for light trucks and SUV's that tow small trailers.

I’ll probably go for the same one you got (TRD) – what kind of price range was install and was it from dealer or someone else? I haven't priced it yet from Davenport.
As I said above, the dealership here would not even consider installing the LSD. They don't even have the right parts or mechanics with the proper knowledge to do the work (atleast that is what they told me). The problem with the TRD LSD is that it is only the inerts of the LSD, not the entire package. They basically have to perform sugury on your car to get it replaced and it takes hours to do the job. If they set the gears even a couple of millimeters off, you will have serious problems. I think I ended up paying as much for the LSD install as I did for the actual LSD. BTW, there are about $80 in extra parts that will be needed in order to install the LSD and I would also recommend adding Royal Purple (Thx CL). I have not had any problems with noise with Royal Purple. I think total labor was right around $750 after the Royal purple, extra parts, and labor to install the LSD.

Hopefully this answers everything.
Old 11-19-02, 11:18 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

BTW, I think this is turning out to be a great thread when it comes to LSD and TC installs. If I would have known 6 months ago what I know now, these would have been my first mods.
Old 11-21-02, 01:46 AM
StylinGS300
Driver

Originally posted by GS400_PUSHER
I can say I have notice a change in my shifting at hwy speeds, It allows me to get the downshift punch!!!! I really notice the punch from a stand still the best though! If you get the TC you won't regret it one bit!
GS400_Pusher - I hate the lag on my GS300 when I floor it from a stand still. Will TC help get rid of the lag? I almost order the Dragon TC from Carson Toyota today but when I was told that it wouldn't get of the lag until after 2800rpm. I got discourage and didn't order it. Because the lag is between idle and 2500rpm. I told Angel at Carson Toyota that I will get more information from ClubLexus members about TC before I order it. I will order it tomorrow if what I was told was incorrect. Any info from anybody would appreciated.

Quick Reply: TC Gains At Higher RPMs / Speeds?