Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What supercharger kits ae still available for the 2IS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-12, 10:14 AM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What supercharger kits ae still available for the 2IS?

So I finally decided I want a supercharger for my IS350 some time around the end of the year. Want something that puts my car ahead of the stock cars such as the G35, G37, 350Z, S2000, 335, and TL Type-S that the IS350 would be head to head with. However, what are my current options right now? I know the HKS kit is still available at some online stores but $6K is too steep to me for maybe 50 more HP. Any others still for sale or should I get a custom one made? Here in Chicago, I don't know of any places that tune or would do kits for the IS. And no, I'm not going to upgrade to an IS-F lol.

Last edited by chi123; 07-11-12 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-11-12, 11:11 AM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A SC for less than $6k for the 2IS? It's nice to dream ain't it
Old 07-11-12, 11:47 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chi123
So I finally decided I want a supercharger for my IS350 some time around the end of the year. Want something that puts my car ahead of the stock cars such as the G35, G37, 350Z, S2000, 335, and TL Type-S that the IS350 would be head to head with.

the 350 is quicker than any of those cars (except the 335) bone stock.

It's about 0.1 seconds slower than the 335i. You can fix that with just bolt ons, but given the 335 has the option to be quicker than an F for 500-1000 bucks with a chip tune you're fighting a lost cause trying to keep up with him. On the bright side your car will spend a lot less time in the shop and cost about 8 grand less new.

However, what are my current options right now? I know the HKS kit is still available at some online stores but $6K is too steep to me for maybe 50 more HP. Any others still for sale or should I get a custom one made?
Nope.

The LMS kit was even less power for $6000. I think they'll still sell you the brackets if you want to make your own kit but if buying new it's going to get you less power than the HKS kit and still cost 5-6 grand.

Arma supposedly has one (though I know of nobody actually using one) but I don't think their is significantly cheaper either and results are totally unknown, and they're in china so good luck getting support on it. EDIT- nevermind, Armas kit is 250 only

Here in Chicago, I don't know of any places that tune or would do kits for the IS. And no, I'm not going to upgrade to an IS-F lol.
Then you're going to have a slower car.

If you bought the 350 to mod for power you bought the wrong car.

If you just want to run good times at a dragstrip then put a nitrous kit on. 1-2 grand depending how idiot-proof you want it to be and the car has safely run at least a 65 shot on pump gas and an 80 shot on race gas.

Last edited by Kurtz; 07-11-12 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-11-12, 07:57 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
the 350 is quicker than any of those cars (except the 335) bone stock.

It's about 0.1 seconds slower than the 335i. You can fix that with just bolt ons, but given the 335 has the option to be quicker than an F for 500-1000 bucks with a chip tune you're fighting a lost cause trying to keep up with him. On the bright side your car will spend a lot less time in the shop and cost about 8 grand less new.

Nope.

The LMS kit was even less power for $6000. I think they'll still sell you the brackets if you want to make your own kit but if buying new it's going to get you less power than the HKS kit and still cost 5-6 grand.

Arma supposedly has one (though I know of nobody actually using one) but I don't think their is significantly cheaper either and results are totally unknown, and they're in china so good luck getting support on it. EDIT- nevermind, Armas kit is 250 only

Then you're going to have a slower car.

If you bought the 350 to mod for power you bought the wrong car.

If you just want to run good times at a dragstrip then put a nitrous kit on. 1-2 grand depending how idiot-proof you want it to be and the car has safely run at least a 65 shot on pump gas and an 80 shot on race gas.
So the HKS GT kit is what I should be going for then? When I was first looking into cars, I didn't know I would care about performance. I was going for an '07 328i back then but came up on a good deal for the IS350 so I got it. Then I realized what the 135, 335, or 535 can do with a simple JB4/Procced chip, intake, upgraded intercooler, and exhaust could do on those cars. Not looking to get a whole lot for the IS350, just more power to set it apart from the similar cars like I mentioned. I would like to upgrade to the IS-F but got no cash for that at the moment. My IS350 is probably worth only $10K by now so if I trade in, I still owe $20K just to find a used one. So not worth it to me. But for performance and to deal with my snow problems, I am going for a 335xi or G37x as my secondary car. Going to chip the 335 along with other mods to get it over 400HP or if I get the G37, I'll do the GTM twin-turbo on it.

What other parts or accessories would I need to complete the kit?
Old 07-12-12, 06:00 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The HKS kit doesn't physically fit US cars without a little modification... I think HKS350 described what he had to do in a previous thread though.

Then you'll need someone who knows how to program the F-con, which isn't cheap- that might work ok out of the box, again check the HKS350 thread, but not optimally.

and honestly, no offense, but your $ would be better spent on some driving classes rather than a second AWD sports car, as there's plenty of people, including where you live, as well as places with worse winters, driving around in the winter just fine on RWD, so if your problem isn't tires it's the driver.

Then use the remaining second car money, plus the supercharger money, plus your 350, to get the IS-F, which'll have more power than the SC 350 and a better transmission and, if you get a 2010+, an LSD.
Old 07-15-12, 03:16 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just leave it...your spark plugs are gona constantly over heat lol